What won't you do?

magandab

I won't be talked into the embarkation posed photo again ...The guy did agree to take it off the boards after he overheard the heated discussion between my hubby and I over him talking me into a photo when he knows I hate pictures of myself.

I won't go on another cruise where I don't actually have any money in my bank account. Asking your husband for money all week and never feeling like you can buy or join in anything that costs cash was a bit crap. I wanted to do the 'on board for a cause' as I am a cancer survivor but instead ended up in the gym feeling sorry for myself.

No "free" spa "give-aways"
No bingo
No large table in MDR
No inside cabins
No photos
No ship sponsored stores
No port talks
No running around prior to the cruise to pick up "essentials" (we'll order off the menu, and not biotch too much about it! :p)
No gambling
I'll let our room steward know that while I "like" towel animals, I would rather have lots of fresh ice in the ice bucket;)
I love the trivia
I love the Crow's nest
I love watching people dance
I love exploring ports on my own
I love sitting at a local bar chatting with the locals while in port
I love the Pinnacle dining room - and will eat there at least once during a cruise

[quote name='whogo']I would rather not have towel animals.
.[/quote]
You made me start laughing aloud (hard enough to cause DH to look my way strangely) :D
On a 10 day RCCL cruise we had a delightful room steward who left us a cute towel animal the first night. I set it aside on a shelf in the room.

Night 2 he did another animal ... did NOT take Night 1's away.
Night 3 he did another animal ... did NOT take Night 1's or Night 2's away.

By night 4 the room was overtaken by towel animals ... I folded the towels and put them neatly on the shelf.
Night 5 .... no more animals .... until the last night when he left a LIFE SIZED Alligator Towel Animal in the center of the bed (made with 2 beach towels!!!)

Yes, we did tip extra at the end for all the laughter be brought us!!

[quote name='magandab']As the OP and given the recent upheaval in my life AND the fact that this will almost surely be the last cruise Mom and I take together, I have a new list:

I won't nickel and dime myself on vacation. If its something I/we want, we will get or do it.

I won't look at the numbers on the right side of the cocktail menu when I want to toast Mom with a glass of the good stuff.

I won't make myself do something onboard (or onshore) just because it's what I planned.

I won't count calories and will have extra dessert if it sounds good.

I won't pass up the chance for a photo of me and Mom in our formal wear.

I won't be in such a hurry that I forget what's important.[/quote]
[COLOR=red][B]BRAVO[/B][/COLOR] ... Sending my wishes that you and your Mom have an [COLOR=red][B]amazing trip[/B][/COLOR]. :)

[quote name='Thebes']Just curious and wondering what's wrong with San Juan. Heard its lovely ![/quote]
We have been to San Juan a few times (twice by ship) and do find it lovely. We enjoy wondering around the Old Town, visiting the forts and museums. No need for an excursion here.
Sail in is very interesting and sailing out at night with the fort lighted is beautiful!

[quote name='Sea42']We have been to San Juan a few times (twice by ship) and do find it lovely. We enjoy wondering around the Old Town, visiting the forts and museums. No need for an excursion here.
Sail in is very interesting and sailing out at night with the fort lighted is beautiful![/quote]
We're going to be in San Juan in a month. We booked a small boat tour that's leaves from the dock where HAL docks. Then we plan to ride around on the [B][I]free[/I][/B] trollys. On our 1st time there on the Christmas cruise we took a narrated small bus tour to get our bearings. It left us with the history as well as a sense of where we could easily walk to.

[quote name='cwd79']We were just very disappointed with the excursion options. Expected more.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried " flavors of San Juan " excursion before ? If you don't mind me asking, what excursion are you taking about and was it independent or ship ?
Thank you for sharing your experience :)

[quote name='Thebes']Have you tried " flavors of San Juan " excursion before ? If you don't mind me asking, what excursion are you taking about and was it independent or ship ?
Thank you for sharing your experience :)[/quote]
I think it all boils down to our ignorance of San Juan and what it had to offer. We aren't shoppers and not into sitting on a bus for an hour. I wasn't aware of the fort that was there, so that might have been a good option. Will have to do more research next time.

[quote name='cwd79']I think it all boils down to our ignorance of San Juan and what it had to offer. We aren't shoppers and not into sitting on a bus for an hour. I wasn't aware of the fort that was there, so that might have been a good option. Will have to do more research next time.[/QUOTE]

For next time check out this excursion " flavors of San Juan ". It has great reviews here & in trip adv. it's a walking tour in old SJ and includes sampling several local cuisines and liquors. We booked it for feb and we're excited.
Find it on [url]www.foodsofsanjuan[/url] dot come.

[quote name='HamOp'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"]Seems to be lots of people in the witness protection program on HAL ships:D[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

That's what I say every time they want to take my picture! Usually gets a laugh from other passengers! :D

[LIST]
[*]no spa ballots
[*]no bad attitudes tolerated
[*]no getting upset if someone pushes in front of us
[*]no worrying if others don't like seeing children on the ship
[*]no desserts (I never eat them anyway)
[*]no shopping talks or diamond stores
[*]no set bedtime or alarm in the morning
[/LIST]Looking forward to family time and enjoying a long awaited vacation! I learned that if I don't want to - I won't; if someone mutter's under their breath about the waste of space my children are - I will either address their concerns straight on or ignore them completely; if someone really wants to get infront of me that badly I will make space for them and smile.

[quote name='trixiee']No "free" spa "give-aways"
No bingo
No large table in MDR
No inside cabins
No photos
No ship sponsored stores
No port talks
No running around prior to the cruise to pick up "essentials" (we'll order off the menu, and not biotch too much about it! :p)
No gambling
I'll let our room steward know that while I "like" towel animals, I would rather have lots of fresh ice in the ice bucket;)
I love the trivia
I love the Crow's nest
I love watching people dance
I love exploring ports on my own
I love sitting at a local bar chatting with the locals while in port
I love the Pinnacle dining room - and will eat there at least once during a cruise[/QUOTE]

I'm glad someone had a good word for the Pinnacle! We had my birthday there last year on the Oosterdam and on our next cruise in January '14, it will be Ian's birthday and he can't wait! We had a lovely dinner!
Perhaps it depends on which ship??

[quote name='Crew News']No ship's photographs on embarkation
No ship's photographs with folks in bear, eagle, pirate, moose, bear, etc costumes
No cruise DVDs - I make my own digital memories
No shopping lectures
No bingo
No bar crawl
No art auctions
No onshore shopping at Carnival Corp stores
No Lido Restaurant on embarkation day
No Ochio Rios vendor harassment
No whale watching in Victoria BC - no comparison to Juneau
No glass-bottomed boats - boat speed in shallow water gives me motion sickness[/quote]
Except for the glass-bottomed boats you've posted OUR list of won't dos - Thank You :D:D:D

[quote name='magandab']I saw this thread on another board and thought it might be fun. What typical cruise "thing" have you tired of, learned your lesson about, just didn't like and will never do again?

Let's keep it light please!

I won't bust my butt to get to the suite cocktail party the first evening on board. Sounded like a fun way to start the cruise, but it was, to me, a crowded room, bad wine, and too much noise. Appetizers were yummy, but the first day it's just too much for me to enjoy.[/QUOTE]

The black & white photo session! It's painful...

However love to get pic taken by the photographer of any ship that's parked next door..:p

[quote name='AusaicMosaic']I'm glad someone had a good word for the Pinnacle! We had my birthday there last year on the Oosterdam and on our next cruise in January '14, it will be Ian's birthday and he can't wait! We had a lovely dinner!
Perhaps it depends on which ship??[/quote]

[B] I agree about Pinnacle. We've had many wonderful dinners there and look forward to, hopefully, enjoying many more.

Pinnacle is on my 'will do' list. :)

[/B]

• 4 weeks later...