MDR Question

Friends of ours will be cruising on Princess next month for the first time and celebrating retirement from a 30 year career in the NYPD. I told them that it shouldn't be a problem for them to order more than one entree or a couple of different appetizers in the MDR. Is that true? Also, is there a lobster night and are there any "can't miss" things they should try? Thanks for any info!

I can give a partial answer. We had people at our table who ordered several appetizers and just said "bring this one when you bring everyone's appetizer, and bring this one when you bring the main course." Not an issue at all. Sorry I can't answer all of your questions.

You can find several threads on the topic. You can order whatever you want, common courtesy is to eat what you order (unless you are ordering another because you didn't care for the first option). There's also the buffet which may have many of the same items.

Lobster is usually served on a formal night. That said, its not very good lobster (again, see multiple threads).

You can order as much as you want/can eat. The menu with lobster is the Captain's Gala Dinner which is typically the second formal night on a seven day cruise. The entree is actually Broiled Lobster Tail and King Prawns. Another entree that night is Beef Wellington. We prefer the prawns to the lobster so we will order the Wellington and a side of prawns for our own "surf and turf" :)

We love eating in MDR. Multiple courses; wonderful rolls; great service. On the menu one side is the "always available" menu and the other is the "theme" for the night.

You can order multiples of anything or a partial plate-eg DH wanted just the scallops from one of the entree dishes to go along with his main entree-no problem.

IMO-Don't miss the fettuccine alfredo; can add broiled chicken breast-yum. My go to dish if nothing else appeals to me. Dessert-creme brulee and flourless chocolate cake are my "must order".

I think the things that Princess does especially well are their cold soups, creme brulees, pasta, (and the fettucine alfredo in particular), breads and the ever popular "volcano" dessert that is on the kid's menu but adults can order. It's basically a massive banana split. :o

They also have great pizza, though that obv. isn't from the MDR.

And we've never had problems ordering multiples of items on the menu. Sometimes if we like the look of two entrees in particular we will order one as appetizer one as entree (or the opposite). As mentioned before, it's not polite to order a bunch of food you can't possibly eat, so we try not to let our eyes get bigger than our stomachs.

Not only can you order multiples of anything, but you can order an entree in appetizer size or as a side dish. You can also order an appetizer in an entree size. Or order multiple desserts.

Here are some examples: order the Fettucini Alfredo as an appetizer or as a side dish to your entree. I sometimes order two shrimp cocktails, one without sauce, and add those shrimp to my salad. You can request French fries or a baked potato with your entree instead of the potato that comes with it. I also often order a meat entree without a sauce and it's usually pretty darned good that way. Something else I do is order the tenderloin from the Always Available side of the menu (with baked potato) and ask for Béarnaise sauce. Yum.

The bottom line is that what and how much you order is flexible.

I shouldn't be reading this post right now. I'm not on a cruise ... and now I'm starving.

Fortunately my dinner is in the oven right now, but it isn't anything like what's been mentioned. :-(

We have often ordered multiple appetizers and desserts as we wanted to taste them. We then share them with each other. I have ordered two entrees in the past. One time on lobster night as I was eating my rather small lobster tail, the waiter came up and put another lobster plate next to mine and said you need this! I had not asked for another one.

I have also ordered an appetizer, entree or dessert and not liked it. The waiter was right there asking what I would like instead then went and got it.

As for the comment that whatever is offered in the MDR is also available in the WJ is simply not true. I have checked it myself many times and found it to be mostly false with little exceptions. What I do is first during the afternoon check out the posted MDR dinner menu remembering what I liked. Then after the WJ is set up for dinner, I go check out what they are offering that night. Depending on the results I either go to the MDR or the WJ to get what I like.

As for the comment that whatever is offered in the MDR is also available in the WJ is simply not true. I have checked it myself many times and found it to be mostly false with little exceptions. What I do is first during the afternoon check out the posted MDR dinner menu remembering what I liked. Then after the WJ is set up for dinner, I go check out what they are offering that night. Depending on the results I either go to the MDR or the WJ to get what I like.

WJ? That's another cruise line and the WJ does not have much of what the dining room does on that line.

As for the comment that whatever is offered in the MDR is also available in the WJ is simply not true.
A couple of things. The WJ (Windjammer) on RCCL has nothing to do with Princess. Second, the comment was that many of the same items are in the buffet, which is true. Some things don't translate well to the buffet but often, there are some really good options in the buffet not available in the dining room. Food is very subjective, however.

.... We prefer the prawns to the lobster so we will order the Wellington and a side of prawns for our own "surf and turf" :)

Thanks for the tip. Not being a lobster person, I am looking forward to trying your suggestion. :cool:

Not only can you order multiples of anything, but you can order an entree in appetizer size or as a side dish. You can also order an appetizer in an entree size. Or order multiple desserts.

Here are some examples: order the Fettucini Alfredo as an appetizer or as a side dish to your entree. I sometimes order two shrimp cocktails, one without sauce, and add those shrimp to my salad. You can request French fries or a baked potato with your entree instead of the potato that comes with it. I also often order a meat entree without a sauce and it's usually pretty darned good that way. Something else I do is order the tenderloin from the Always Available side of the menu (with baked potato) and ask for Béarnaise sauce. Yum.

Pam, this is good to know. My 20 year old DD will be going on her first Princess cruise with us at Thanksgiving. She is not a very adventurous eater and I know will not like the sound of some of the sauces, even on the always available menu. I did not know you could order without the sauce, I figured they prepared it with the sauce and you were just stuck with that. She would much prefer a plain steak or grilled chicken breast. I already know she will love the Fettucini Alfredo, and being able to add chicken to it is a great idea!

They will not have problems ordering multiple appetizers. As long as they don't over-do it, they can order as much food as they like.

Cruising with one of my cousins, he often finished his entree quickly, and our waiter would take notice and immediately ask him if he wanted another.

Pam explained it perfectly!

LuLu

~~~~

Archived