Guarantee Question, sorry

GeezLouise1

:p We booked a guarantee at an amazing rate at a level we are very comfortable with. We have received our stateroom number already ( voyage isn't until November). I read a thread from December 2012 that guarantees no longer can expect upgrades and I'm ok with that. This level is now showing as sold out, with space in higher levels only. Although a room# has been assigned, is it possible that this might change? Or will potential upgrades be for newer bookings within that class only? Just curious:confused:, trying to figure this thing out.... thanks for any input,

:p We booked a guarantee at an amazing rate at a level we are very comfortable with. We have received our stateroom number already ( voyage isn't until November). I read a thread from December 2012 that guarantees no longer can expect upgrades and I'm ok with that. This level is now showing as sold out, with space in higher levels only. Although a room# has been assigned, is it possible that this might change? Or will potential upgrades be for newer bookings within that class only? Just curious:confused:, trying to figure this thing out.... thanks for any input,

If your room has been assigned already, I wouldn't expect - or even hold your breath, or wish- for an upgrade. While it is possible that it could happen - you already have your cabin assignment. And you are happy with it! If there were an upgrade, it would most like be within the same category (balcony to higher level balcony, etc) and not to a next higher category (inside to balcony or balcony to mini-suite, etc).

As you are happy with the category you booked, don't even think about it anymore! That's what we do when we book guarantees; while an upgrade would be nice, we always book into the category we would be happy with - that way, if an upgrade doesn't come through, we are in a cabin we are happy with! If one comes through, cool - happy for you! Enjoy your cruise!

But are guarantees never upgraded?

I have booked a gty at lowest level inside, got a cabin a few levels above that (I think it was an M to JJ), then was upgraded to OV. Turned down the OV because of location, but it does happen. Your cabin assignment could change.

Although a room# has been assigned, is it possible that this might change? Or will potential upgrades be for newer bookings within that class only?

Only the Upgrade Fairy knows if it will actually occur, but, yes, once a GTY has been assigned a cabin there is still the possibility of an upgrade.

Yes, as I noted, it is possible. It is rare though, especially as you already have your room assignment. And usually, upgrades are from a lower category in the same class to a higher category in the same class - ie balcony to balcony in a different "better" location, less rare to be between class - inside to outside or balcony to suite, etc. It is always possible, but rare, and don't hold your breath. If you are happy with what you have, don't sweat it - if it happens, then great! If not, then you have a cabin you are happy with.

Enjoy your sailing!

Likely depends on how full the ship is. We have twice been upgraded from OV to balcony on sailings that were not sold out. This summer we talked to folks who were upgraded from interior to balcony.....again, the ship was not sold out and cabins were assigned very late. I am thinking that this is pretty unusual. More often you find what others are saying; upgrades within the same type of cabin.

Thank you for the info. I was confused because I was assigned a room# so quickly, wasn't sure if changes were possible at all. It is all good!
While a further "upgrade" is possible, most of the time the first cabin assignment will stick. We have used the guarantee system many times, but only once did we receive an upgrade (Restricted OV to OV to Balcony) out of the original type of cabin. That one time we kept getting new cabin assignments which we saw in our Personalizer and which our TA missed seeing totally. She was really surprised at the cabin we finally received.

If you find a cabin you really like, then have your TA, or Princess if booking direct, mark the booking to prevent further cabin assignments within general class (e.g. balcony). Also remember if you get an assignment to a cabin but don't particularly care for the location your TA can change the cabin to any other open cabin within that specific category (e.g. if BC then only within BC cabins).

This summer I had a GTY on Ruby. A room number was assigned almost as soon as we booked. When the price went down for our category we found ourselves upgraded. We weren't even told. I happened to look at the cruise personalizer and noticed our cabin had been changed.

Archived