Dressing For Dinner on the Breakaway

CK77

I've never sailed on NCL before, so I need a heads up to make sure I'm on the right track.

For a guy going to the MDR and Specialty Restaurants, would a nice dressy collared T-shirt and Dockers, Khakis or Chords work with clean new sneakers?

I'm talking about a shirt like this link:

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/gifts/for-him/the-foundry-supply-co%25e2%2584%25a2-jersey-pocket-polo-shirt%25c2%25a0%25e2%2580%2593%25c2%25a0big-tall/prod.jump?ppId=pp5002260205&catId=cat100240025&deptId=dept20000014&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null

I'm not concerned about my wife, as she always dresses nicely, even casual lol.

Thanks

I've never sailed on NCL before, so I need a heads up to make sure I'm on the right track.

For a guy going to the MDR and Specialty Restaurants, would a nice dressy collared T-shirt and Dockers, Khakis or Chords work with clean new sneakers?

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/gifts/for-him/the-foundry-supply-co%25e2%2584%25a2-jersey-pocket-polo-shirt%25c2%25a0%25e2%2580%2593%25c2%25a0big-tall/prod.jump?ppId=pp5002260205&catId=cat100240025&deptId=dept20000014&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null

Thanks

A majority of the guys wear outfits like that so you'll fit right in. My husband mostly wore polo shirts with either khakis or nice dark jeans.

Enjoy your cruise!

On our recent NCL cruise, many men wore shorts to the MDR's and some even wore t-shirts and flip-flops along with them. So anything goes.:rolleyes:

Yeah that polo is totally fine. There are three MDRs -- taste and savor where you can wear shorts and manhattan room where you cannot. Enjoy!

Yeah that polo is totally fine. There are three MDRs -- taste and savor where you can wear shorts and manhattan room where you cannot. Enjoy!

On our cruise, men wore shorts and flip-flops to the Manhattan Room and were let in. NCL doesn't follow it's own rules, I guess they don't want to offend anyone and possibly lose out on future revenue.

You should be fine with the pants and shirts as you describe in the large aft main dining room, Le Bistro and Ocean Blu. Even nice jeans are ok, but no open toed shoes for men. Shorts and sandals are allowed in all the other dining rooms and specialty restaurants.

To my knowledge, the only time shorts are allowed ship wide at dinner is on Embarcation Day. I think some people see them there the first day and assume they are allowed anytime, but this is not the case. I know there have been recent reports that NCL is looking the other way at times, but I also see reports of people being turned away. Also, I think some 3 day party cruises may be way more casual, but this is not what I have heard and experienced on my 4 NCL cruises.

Better to be prepared with long pants.

On our cruise, men wore shorts and flip-flops to the Manhattan Room and were let in. NCL doesn't follow it's own rules, I guess they don't want to offend anyone and possibly lose out on future revenue.

On my June 16th cruise they enforced it. When was your cruise?

On my June 16th cruise they enforced it. When was your cruise?

2 weeks ago and shorts were worn in the Manhattan DR on multiple nights throughout the cruise. We were in the Manhattan on the 3rd and last night and a number of men were in shorts and some with t-shirts and flip-flops.:eek:

2 weeks ago and shorts were worn in the Manhattan DR on multiple nights throughout the cruise. We were in the Manhattan on the 3rd and last night and a number of men were in shorts and some with t-shirts and flip-flops.:eek:

Wow - did you report this to guest services or corporate?

Thanks

Just got off the Breakaway today. Previous posters are correct. Manhattan room supposedly had no open toe shoes and shorts policy so I had everyone in my family change from shorts to pants. You should see the look in their faces when they saw people wearing shorts. So I guess it's o.k. Two nights later, we ate at Le Bistro, which is one of their specialty restaurants. My son wore shorts and I didn't bother asking him to change this time because it looked like NCL wasn't following their rules. Once inside, they told him that no shorts allowed so he had to go back in the room and change.

At Cagney's Steakhouse. I saw women who had flip flops and they were let in.

So for my cruise, my experience was.... Free Dining - ok to wear shorts and open toed shoes. Specialty Dining - at the disgression of the Maitre D'.

I was also very "shocked" at how casual the dress code was on Breakaway- much more casual than all our cruises on Carnival. We also ate at Cagney's, Le Bistro, La Cucina and the Manhattan dining room. Any kind of dress went. Never saw anyone questioned or turned away. When we asked a server at Cagney's, she laughed and told us it was free-style dressing!

Why would I do that? I'm sure it was evident to the dining room staff.

I'm not responsible for enforcing the NCL rules, unless they want to put me on the payroll.;)

So it seems they have become lax and inconsistent. For myself, I really couldn't care less but unless corporate is made aware they won't be change.

I was also very "shocked" at how casual the dress code was on Breakaway- much more casual than all our cruises on Carnival. We also ate at Cagney's, Le Bistro, La Cucina and the Manhattan dining room. Any kind of dress went. Never saw anyone questioned or turned away. When we asked a server at Cagney's, she laughed and told us it was free-style dressing!

The only 2 restaurants where shorts are supposed to be not allowed are the Bistro and Manhattan dining room on the Breakaway. Enforcement as noted vary but don't be surprised if you are aked to change.

Did you get any photos?

We should start a "Look at how some people dress for dinner" photo thread...:eek::rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Did you get any photos?

We should start a "Look at how some people dress for dinner" photo thread...:eek::rolleyes:

I think NCL should have a new option for Platinum cruisers. Because NCL can depend on their experience, Platinum members could sail at greatly reduced rates and work undercover for NCL. Responsibilities might include identifying chair hogs, checking for contraband booze in those Crystal Lite bottles and most importantly always on guard for any fashion faux pas.

Tazer anyone?

I think NCL should have a new option for Platinum cruisers. Because NCL can depend on their experience, Platinum members could sail at greatly reduced rates and work undercover for NCL. Responsibilities might include identifying chair hogs, checking for contraband booze in those Crystal Lite bottles and most importantly always on guard for any fashion faux pas.

Tazer anyone?

Hahaha.... that would keep you so busy you wouldn't be able to enjoy your cruise or even a lounger....:eek:....that's ok I'll take your place once you kick all those chair hogs out of the way... LOL

So just one more thing...

Clean White Sneakers are good in all the Resturants...Is that Correct?

Thanks for all your help :)

Could someone please answer my last Question...I'm the one who started this thread, I'm the OP.

Thanks

Could someone please answer my last Question...I'm the one who started this thread, I'm the OP.

Thanks

I would think so....my husband uses a power chair & wear nice white Nike's all the time...no one ever said anything, i doubt they looked at his feet!!

Tazer anyone?

Kinda like being a Mystery Shopper. HMMMM.

Archived