Century a good choice for Panama Canal?

jarand

Did a full transit on the Century last Dec/Jan.

We went from FLL to SAN.

The early morning of the full transit the ship moved from Colon out into line ready to proceed to the first locks of Gatun. This was about 5:00am.

People were up on deck at front of ship. look at the deck plans of Sport Deck and the little deck above that. People were also lined up on the Sport deck above the pool area.

It took from 6am to 6pm to do the full transit. by the time we got to Lake Gatun the sun came out for awhile. in the afternoon, the Captain opened the very front where the heiicopter landing area is. One had to go through some of the crews area beyond the theater.

Also on deck 4 or 5, I cannot remember right now, many people were at the rails to watch how close the ship and the wall of the locks were: about 8 inches on each side.

It was one of the best day ever on a cruise ship.

Lack of a balcony does not impede you from seeing what you want . The ideas is to move around the ship while in the canal, many different views.

During the transit there will be the enrichment person giving a step by step highlight of what is happening and what to look for on the shore. this is over the ship PA.

You are in for a trip of a life time. Enjoy!!!!:D

We are looking at a January, full transit Panama Canal cruise. Is the Century a good choice? We won't have a balcony, so great deck viewing area through the Canal is a real priority. Thanks.

Hi

We were on Century this past Jan. See my review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1787067

As you can see, I answered questions. We had a balcony cabin and stayed there during the transit.

Tom:)

We loved the Century for the passage. I agree that the best viewing is out of the room. We walked the length of the ship all day to get different views of the locks opening and closing. One thing to note is that people did get up to the deck very early to secure a place at the rail, and there were some nasty displays of behavior. We just walked around and waited for people to leave. As the day went on folks gave up their spots and we got excellent photos. The indoor viewing spot is hemispheres lounge, but people were also planted in the front seats early there as well. Again the behavior was nasty with people in the back actually yelling "down in front" if someone stood up as we went through the lock. I'm sure the behavior is seen on all ships, but mention it only because it was so shocking. As for the Century, we enjoyed all aspects of food, drink and entertainment. Sure she needs an upgrade, but the staff diligently kept her clean and we had no problems with temperature control in our standard verandah room. I suggest you attend the talks on the history of the canal held several mornings during the course of the cruise.

I did the Panama Canal on the Infinity last year and loved it. Don't know how similar the ships are.

One thing I would recommend ... if you dock in Panama the next day, you should have the option of taking a shore excursion that takes you back through the canal on a ferry boat. Far different perspective (little boat looking up at the canal v. large ship looking down) and utterly as fascinating!

I did the Panama Canal on the Infinity last year and loved it. Don't know how similar the ships are.

One thing I would recommend ... if you dock in Panama the next day, you should have the option of taking a shore excursion that takes you back through the canal on a ferry boat. Far different perspective (little boat looking up at the canal v. large ship looking down) and utterly as fascinating!

We agree. Did a partial transit from Fort Lauderdale and then took the ferry to the Pacific (and a bus back to Colon. It is an entirely different experience.

We are looking at a January, full transit Panama Canal cruise. Is the Century a good choice? We won't have a balcony, so great deck viewing area through the Canal is a real priority. Thanks.

We have sailed Century last April to Hawaii & we will sail her again to Hawaii this Oct 22nd .We have done the Panama Canal Twice ,once on Infiniti & once on Millennium .I see no problem with any od these ships doing a full transit .:);)

We are hoping for a Soltice class to go through the new wider /longer locks after august 2014 ,when the new canal opens:D

We are booked to do this cruise too and are very much looking forward to the canal transit! No balcony either but I'm sure there will be lots of great spots for a good view.

Archived