Timing for post-cruise flight from Barcelona

shrimp56

Three years ago we easily made a flight that departed Barcelona around 11AM. I think we got to airport around 8:30 after leaving a 12 day med cruise on the Brilliance. Customs was a breeze, security kind of intense. I love Barcelona so much, but one thing to be aware of: even if you think you can speak okay Spainish, the cab drivers there may not understand you, just figure it out beforehand! Still advise a cab over transfers, if time is an issue. There were only the two of us, if you have a large party I would allow more time.

Three years ago we easily made a flight that departed Barcelona around 11AM. I think we got to airport around 8:30 after leaving a 12 day med cruise on the Brilliance. Customs was a breeze, security kind of intense. I love Barcelona so much, but one thing to be aware of: even if you think you can speak okay Spainish, the cab drivers there may not understand you, just figure it out beforehand! Still advise a cab over transfers, if time is an issue. There were only the two of us, if you have a large party I would allow more time.

Agree, Barcelona is easy.

Agree also about taxi driver communications... we have been to Barcelona a few times. Next trip I am planning on writing out my hotel info and even printing a map to help the driver and make sure I am clear. If leaving from a hotel, which we sometimes do, I ask the hotel staff communicate with the driver our destination.

You will get lots of insight on this on the ports boards.

If you can find a later flight great - if not why not stay in Barcelona at least a day and enjoy. It's a wonderful city:D

Even though the airport is not that far - I wouldn't leave until at least noon or 1 pm just to allow a bit of breathing space and no need to rush.

BCN is pretty easy to get through (coming can be a bit of a cattle crawl for customs) to go out. However, things always change so allow yourself time so there is no stress. No way to end a vacation;)

I'm considering a cruise that ends in Barcelona. What would be the earliest SAFE time to book a flight, allowing for transfer to airport 2-3 hrs before the flight?

Are you flying back to the U.S.? If so, there are not that much of choice on departures as most airlines have only one flight a day usually between 10am - 12pm. If you are making a connection, e.g. Barcelona - London - Chicago, then your flights will be too early for a same day departure.

No the wedding is on the 12th. Plan is to fly to Budapest on the 9th. (I have found several flight options, some with amusing connections:)), spend the night in Budapest, then take the train to Pecs, Hungary on the 10th so I am there a bit before the wedding.

This is all familiar terrain for me. (I do speak "tourist Hungarian.") The only thing that would be new is getting to BUD from BCN and, per usual CC has come to the rescue with very helpful information. And for that I am most grateful.

Archived