Kids

JES4845

We are considering giving Silversea a try but we are concerned about kids on a smaller ship. What is the company's policy on passengers under 18? What has been the experience of those of you who have been on one of their cruises? We would really prefer an adults only environment. Any and all input most welcome.

Your note will trigger a well-trodden thread - I promise. :D

The short answer is that Silversea accept all ages and so it is a complete lottery. We have had blissful cruises without being disturbed by any kids even though there were well behaved and lovely kids on board and had another cruise which was marred by a single family who were unwilling or unable to control their kids and made (in particular) the pool areas a real misery. The enjoyment of the restaurants were also regularly compromised by this single family.

The simple answer is you take a chance or not as you choose. Sorry - this wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Good luck.

Jeff

:)

We are considering giving Silversea a try but we are concerned about kids on a smaller ship. What is the company's policy on passengers under 18? What has been the experience of those of you who have been on one of their cruises? We would really prefer an adults only environment. Any and all input most welcome.

Best to avoid school holidays if you can. Not that easy given differences in say USA/ Canada ,UK , continental Europe and Australasia.

Although this reduces the odds there is never a guarantee that your cruise will be " kids free". After that it truly is a lottery. We have been on both Silversea and Seabourn when children ( often quite young) have been a delight and sadly when they have been a nightmare. All down to the parents of course.

Fully expect your post to stimulate another contentious debate re desirability of kids on posh ships. Let battle commence:eek:

We've found that either cruises with fewer ports eg transatlantic or cruises with more exotic ports eg the Amazon tend to be more child-free. We are like you, kids grown up and independent so we like our cruises to be child-free. As already said, there is no guarantee but SS tends to be low on children's activities.

We did a 10 Alaska cruise on the Shadow during early September 2010. There was 1 was one young girl (maybe 10?) traveling with her grandmother. There was one college student traveling with her parents. Did not see any one else under 30. We deliberately waited until the last Alaska cruise of the season, knowing that most US children would be in school.

I know you have posted this on the Seabourn Board so I will repeat what I said there.

Most cruise lines that sail the seas allow children on board.

All of the luxury lines do as well and that includes Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal, Sea Dream and Regent.

During the summer months you will see children on board the luxury lines. How many will range by itinerary but ones that attract families include sailing of the Mediterranean and Alaska in particular. You will also find children on board over the Christmas/New Years Holiday Cruises.

If you want to sail with almost no children on board you are best to sail other months of the year or on itineraries that usually do not attract many children.

Keith

What is the company's policy on passengers under 18?

• Minors under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or other responsible adult over the age of 21.
  • Silversea does not accommodate infants under the age of six months.
  • All guests must notify Silversea of any children between the ages of six (6) months and one (1) year who will be sailing on board the ship.
  • Silversea reserves the right to limit the number of children less than three years of age.

What has been the experience of those of you who have been on one of their cruises?

There have always been children on board the four voyages we have sailed with Silversea, in addition to our own.

We would really prefer an adults only environment.

Totally understand and respect your preference. Unfortunately, you cannot be guaranteed to find that environment on Silversea.

[*]Minors under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or other responsible adult over the age of 21.

If only all parents and accompanying adults were " responsible", as likely as not there would be no issues.

Sadly in our experience this is not always the case.

Time to close this thread? Or conflate it with earlier ones?

Here's what I think and here's what we did:

There are NO children's programs on Silversea with the exception of holiday time, and then they assign various crew members to cobble together a program.

When we took our seven grandchildren, ages 5 to 15, on a cruise to Alaska, we chose to sail with Celebrity...very intentionally as it was the various age level programs which attracted us. It was 100% wonderful! Every one, kids, parents, and my husband and I had a terrific time.

As much as we enjoyed this cruise, we would never chose Celebrity instead of Silversea unless we had children with us. And we would never choose SS if we did have children along. There is zip to do for kids on Silversea except get bored, and we all know that bored children can and usually do act up. This is where common sense should kick in.

I do have to add that we have been very lucky in that the few children we have seen on SS have been very well behaved. The crew, undoubtedly missing their own families, have always been so attentive and sweet...BUT...if you love your children, find another cruise line with lots of activities. No child wants to cruise with a bunch of people their parent's and grandparent's age when they could form a merry band on a big ship which specializes in family, happy kid activities.

CruisinPashima, I wanted to note that when we sailed the Silver Shadow in Alaska there were also children's programs similar to what you noted about holiday time. In fact, on our sailing they had a record number of children on board for that summer season.

NOTE: My comment is not intended to recommend or not recommend taking children on a Silversea cruise. Rather, I am only mentioning this to clarify that children's programs are not just offered during the holiday time but when they have a lot of children on board.

Keith

Archived