what's it like onboard if your single?

Lovely other

I've been on four solo cruises (with my fifth this coming January) with HAL. Everyone has offered some wonderful advice, but there are a few more things I'd like to add.

The advice to join trivia is good; however, be sure to tell the cruise director (or whoever is running trivia) that you're by yourself and in search of a team. Some of the "already established" teams are downright territorial and may turn you down if you ask directly to join them.

Do you like piano bars? If so, try to sit at the piano. You'll most likely bond with your fellow piano-sitters for the remainder of your cruise.

Beyond that, remember that even with all the good advice and suggestions on this thread, every cruise has different people and will therefore have a different dynamic. If you happen to go with anytime dining, you may or may not meet up with people with whom to have dinner and socialize during the rest of the cruise. Same thing with roll calls -- The extent of their social interaction with a solo cruiser could vary so that while some may embrace you, others may not want a "straggler" on their excursions, etc. You may also end up on a roll call where you are the only solo, so don't count on the prospect of being able to "buddy-up" with fellow solos on it.

Also, don't depend on the onboard "solo get-togethers" all that much. Some aren't very well-attended, and sometimes the "solo lunch" tables that HAL occasionally has are so big that you can't talk to all that many people.

In short (although it's probably too late for that), the experiences of a solo cruiser will vary from sailing to sailing.

If it sounds like I'm trying to rain on your parade, that's really not my intention at all. You could end up meeting a whole bunch of fabulous people who will take you into their circle and treat you like they've always known you. I just want you to be prepared, since you do describe yourself as shy (like me), for the possibility that there might be times where you may not be interacting with others as much as you might have hoped to. But if you're okay with yourself for company in those instances, you should be just fine!

I've been on four solo cruises (with my fifth this coming January) with HAL. Everyone has offered some wonderful advice, but there are a few more things I'd like to add.

The advice to join trivia is good; however, be sure to tell the cruise director (or whoever is running trivia) that you're by yourself and in search of a team. Some of the "already established" teams are downright territorial and may turn you down if you ask directly to join them.

Do you like piano bars? If so, try to sit at the piano. You'll most likely bond with your fellow piano-sitters for the remainder of your cruise.

Beyond that, remember that even with all the good advice and suggestions on this thread, every cruise has different people and will therefore have a different dynamic. If you happen to go with anytime dining, you may or may not meet up with people with whom to have dinner and socialize during the rest of the cruise. Same thing with roll calls -- The extent of their social interaction with a solo cruiser could vary so that while some may embrace you, others may not want a "straggler" on their excursions, etc. You may also end up on a roll call where you are the only solo, so don't count on the prospect of being able to "buddy-up" with fellow solos on it.

Also, don't depend on the onboard "solo get-togethers" all that much. Some aren't very well-attended, and sometimes the "solo lunch" tables that HAL occasionally has are so big that you can't talk to all that many people.

In short (although it's probably too late for that), the experiences of a solo cruiser will vary from sailing to sailing.

If it sounds like I'm trying to rain on your parade, that's really not my intention at all. You could end up meeting a whole bunch of fabulous people who will take you into their circle and treat you like they've always known you. I just want you to be prepared, since you do describe yourself as shy (like me), for the possibility that there might be times where you may not be interacting with others as much as you might have hoped to. But if you're okay with yourself for company in those instances, you should be just fine!

I think what you post here is pretty accurate although I have met some great people thru the roll calls.

well it looks like i'll be cruising alone this year. just wandering what the options are for someone like me. i'm quite shy so not likely to plonk myself in the middle of things ...will it be lonely ?

I've been cruising as a single for the last 8 years or so now. I'm not that much of a people person. In any case, last cruise I was on was the Voyage of the Vikings on the Veendam. I did the full 35 days. I always do the 8pm fixed dinner and sit at a table of 8. Tried a table of 6 once which was a bit of torture for me. I couldn't click with any of my 0ther table mates.

Last cruise 2 table mates remembered me from a cruise we took together back in 2005. Pretty neat. :-) Very down to earth people as were 2 other people at the table.

I don't gamble, Don't drink alcohol. Stopped going to the shows because I would usually fall asleep. so why go. LOL But would go up to the Crows Nest to get a soda when they had the 2 for 1 specials. Sometimes I might interact with people sometimes not. I would usually hangout aft on the lido deck on and off during the day. When I was in picture taking mode I was all over the place. This past cruise I didn't do any excursions. But I usually would find something to do at each port we were at. I took close to 3,000 awesome picture this past cruise. My camera kept me busy. LOL

What I'm saying I guess is. Do what makes you feel good.

I just boarded my first solo cruise this morning and so far it's gone just swell. Starting with my flight into the port city yesterday (on a small commuter jet where just about everyone was enroute to board the ship) the woman of EVERY couple I've met has said either "oh you poor dear" or "you're so brave"' while clutching the arm of their husbands when they found out I'm cruising solo. I fully realize that it's a sign of their own insecurity, but quite frankly, I find it rude and insulting. I have a couple of snappy comebacks in mind that may very well come tumbling out of my mouth sooner rather than later, but for now the manners my mama taught me have prevailed. Other people's insecurity won't stop me from having a great time.

Bravo for you. I commend you for your efforts. Because you are single, doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself.

Travel and cruise while you still have the ability. Being Solo shouldn't stop anyone. Life is too short.

I think what you post here is pretty accurate although I have met some great people thru the roll calls.

So have I -- Particularly on the Noordam this past February (present company especially included)! :D

I guess what I was also trying to say to the OP was to not let others' wonderful experiences build up her expectations. She may meet lots of sociable people, but then again she may not. It depends a lot on who's onboard.

That doesn't sound "swell". Was that sarcasm?

igraf

I just boarded my first solo cruise this morning and so far it's gone just swell. Starting with my flight into the port city yesterday (on a small commuter jet where just about everyone was enroute to board the ship) the woman of EVERY couple I've met has said either "oh you poor dear" or "you're so brave"' while clutching the arm of their husbands when they found out I'm cruising solo. I fully realize that it's a sign of their own insecurity, but quite frankly, I find it rude and insulting. I have a couple of snappy comebacks in mind that may very well come tumbling out of my mouth sooner rather than later, but for now the manners my mama taught me have prevailed. Other people's insecurity won't stop me from having a great time.

So have I -- Particularly on the Noordam this past February (present company especially included)! :D

I guess what I was also trying to say to the OP was to not let others' wonderful experiences build up her expectations. She may meet lots of sociable people, but then again she may not. It depends a lot on who's onboard.

Agree with everything you've said:).

My former father in law went NOWHERE and did NOTHING for almost 40 years . My former mother in law never wanted to do anything or go anywhere so the poor guy didn't either. She didn't want to go on vacations, out to dinner, parties with the exception of family weddings or gatherings, and even then God forbid they stayed past 10pm. FIL would make suggestions and you could see he was really enthusiastic about it. She'd put a stop to that in good time.

She died 8 years ago. My ex wife and her siblings were pretty sure that he would be one of those spouses that goes within a year of the other because he couldn't live without her.

Well he hasn't had time to live without her, he has been going to seniors club, retirees club, dances, day trips , weekend trips, cruises, Europe , Vegas, Alaska. He ballroom dances , HE GOES TANNING. *LOL* he looks better at 70 something than he ever did at 40 something when I met him.

Goes with a lot of senior groups, has gone with several very sweet ladies he has met, and if need be has traveled alone and has a ball wherever he goes.

He says it all started with that first time at seniors saying "Hello" and it grew from there.

You never know until you try it.

Good luck and enjoy :)

My former father in law went NOWHERE and did NOTHING for almost 40 years . My former mother in law never wanted to do anything or go anywhere so the poor guy didn't either. She didn't want to go on vacations, out to dinner, parties with the exception of family weddings or gatherings, and even then God forbid they stayed past 10pm. FIL would make suggestions and you could see he was really enthusiastic about it. She'd put a stop to that in good time.

She died 8 years ago. My ex wife and her siblings were pretty sure that he would be one of those spouses that goes within a year of the other because he couldn't live without her.

Well he hasn't had time to live without her, he has been going to seniors club, retirees club, dances, day trips , weekend trips, cruises, Europe , Vegas, Alaska. He ballroom dances , HE GOES TANNING. *LOL* he looks better at 70 something than he ever did at 40 something when I met him.

Goes with a lot of senior groups, has gone with several very sweet ladies he has met, and if need be has traveled alone and has a ball wherever he goes.

He says it all started with that first time at seniors saying "Hello" and it grew from there.

That's great. Good for him.

I did a 30 day cruise solo since no one I knew could take that much time off of work....I loved it! I did shore ex's with cc group and became friends with some of them....I am also a very early riser and would go into the Lido very, very early and there was a little group of us that ended up meeting every morning. I did not do the dining room though---I ate in the Lido most evenings and then watched the outdoor movie/entertainment....just wanted to be outside in the south seas!! I loved every minute of it and enjoyed the friends that I did meet....I almost didn't go since I was solo---but decided who knows when I would ever have that chance again! So...do it!!

Maybe this is the wrong place or thread to ask this but does HAL still have gentleman host on their cruises? I'm pretty sure I remember them on our cruises up through 1998. I thought I'd heard, but maybe I'm wrong, that HAL still has hosts but only on the longer cruises. ???? There were two gentleman hosts on our Silversea Med cruise and I've got to give them credit. Those guys were out and about from sunrise to lights out every day, eating meals with passengers, taking tours, and dancing the night away in the two dance venues on the ship. Heck even Mrs. K danced with one of them one night. It actually was kind of fun to have them around and they did a great job of blending in. :)

Maybe this is the wrong place or thread to ask this but does HAL still have gentleman host on their cruises?

The last I knew, HAL had increased the cruise length to 30+ days before Gentlemen Hosts were on board. There had been an incremental increase from 10 days over the years.

At the same time, HAL has decreased the number of the 30+ day cruises, turning them into Collectors' cruises, which are really shorter cruises strung together. So, no Gentlemen Hosts on board.

The last I knew, HAL had increased the cruise length to 30+ days before Gentlemen Hosts were on board. There had been an incremental increase from 10 days over the years. At the same time, HAL has decreased the number of the 30+ day cruises, turning them into Collectors' cruises, which are really shorter cruises strung together. So, no Gentlemen Hosts on board.

My friend thought there would be gentlemen hosts onboard her 30 day plus cruise in the Mediterranean only to find this to be true. HAL called her cruise a collector's cruise of 2 shorter segments, so no gentlemen hosts. She was really disappointed, as dancing is very important to her. She also got conflicting information on whether there would be hosts onboard when she called HAL before deciding to take the cruise.

The last I knew, HAL had increased the cruise length to 30+ days before Gentlemen Hosts were on board. There had been an incremental increase from 10 days over the years.

At the same time, HAL has decreased the number of the 30+ day cruises, turning them into Collectors' cruises, which are really shorter cruises strung together. So, no Gentlemen Hosts on board.

Back in the 90's those all were 10 or 11-day cruises we were on. Our longest HAL cruise was 14 days on the Veendam a few years ago and there were no hosts so that matches with your post. Kind of a shame in some ways, another aspect of HAL of the olden days gone. Our Silversea Med cruise was 14 days and with only 249 passengers the hosts were quite visible. It's not that I counted but I'd say there were around seven solo cruisers, all ladies, on our cruise who thoroughly enjoyed the hosts' company.

thank you all for your knowledgable advice. After deciding that indeed I would be fine alone and starting to actually look forward to it, it seems i'm back to cruising with my husband in october.

it's a long story, involving an overworked (18 hours a day, 7 days a week), overtired, stroppy man and a short tempered women ;). i shall now be keeping him in a suitcase till departure to make sure he doesn't run off again :D

however i'm now tempted to try at least one solo cruise next year.

Bless his heart!!!

I am not sure "territorial" is the correct description. If I've been playing for a few days with a specific group, then, yes, they might turn someone else down. But I'm a solo, too, so isn't that a good thing that my group won't abandon me? :eek:

Ask, "Can I join your team?" and if the folks say no, then move on. It's not personal. We also turn down couples when our team already has 6.

I am not sure "territorial" is the correct description. If I've been playing for a few days with a specific group, then, yes, they might turn someone else down. But I'm a solo, too, so isn't that a good thing that my group won't abandon me? :eek:

Ask, "Can I join your team?" and if the folks say no, then move on. It's not personal. We also turn down couples when our team already has 6.

Maybe in some cases it might be the incorrect description; however, I've come across some who were kind of nasty, like how dare I have the nerve to ask to join them? Some of these trivia teams can be downright hardcore!:rolleyes:

I gave the advice to tell the CD that they were in need of a team so that the CD could make a general announcement and that person wouldn't have to keep going around and repeatedly asking others if they could be on their team.

Archived