Why Do Some Itineraries Have Passport Collection?

harryw

I'd like to understand why certain itineraries require passport collection. My recent British Isles and Fjords cruise had passport collection, but not do on past Mediterranean and Baltic trips.

Harry

It depends on the Countries you are visiting

It makes getting clearance for the ship easier if they have all the passports handy for inspection

Some ports we were required to take passports ashore

I was going to ask about passport collection, glad you brought it up.

Going on my first Oceania and first cruise in Europe. Embarkation is in Monte Carlo and the ports are in France and Italy.

On page 31 of the vacation guide it states under Embarkation: "Oceania Cruises staff will collect your passport at the check-in facility and issue an Oceania WorldCard"

So, does the ship keep the passport during the entire voyage? I know the WorldCard is used to get on and off of the ship, but I would hate to be in the ports without my proof of citizenship.

Also, when do you think the lifeboat drill will take place? The ship is scheduled to depart Monte Carlo at 10PM. Was wondering if we will have to interrupt dinner in Jacques to the attend the drill, we made an 8:30 reservation.

Thanks, Mark

I was going to ask about passport collection, glad you brought it up.

Going on my first Oceania and first cruise in Europe. Embarkation is in Monte Carlo and the ports are in France and Italy.

On page 31 of the vacation guide it states under Embarkation: "Oceania Cruises staff will collect your passport at the check-in facility and issue an Oceania WorldCard"

So, does the ship keep the passport during the entire voyage? I know the WorldCard is used to get on and off of the ship, but I would hate to be in the ports without my proof of citizenship.

Also, when do you think the lifeboat drill will take place? The ship is scheduled to depart Monte Carlo at 10PM. Was wondering if we will have to interrupt dinner in Jacques to the attend the drill, we made an 8:30 reservation.

Thanks, Mark

Yes they ma keep your passports for the entire voyage.

As for the lifeboat drill it will probably be between 5 and 6 on the evening

you board. Dinner does not begin until 6:30 so no problem with your late reservation.

Yes they ma keep your passports for the entire voyage.

As for the lifeboat drill it will probably be between 5 and 6 on the evening

you board. Dinner does not begin until 6:30 so no problem with your late reservation.

So, If they hold on to the passports, We'll keep a photocopy of it on us.

Will be glad if they hold the drill between 5 and 6.

I don't suppose they have afternoon tea in Horizons on embarkation day, do they?

Norway was the one country on the trip not part of the EU, so I guess that was the reason for the collection.

One anecdote: Passport pickup was scheduled at desks set up near Guest Services starting at 4:30 pm for 1 or 2 hours at the end of the cruise. I wanted to get that done early, though I expected a line.

There was one, but it moved fairly quickly. A woman with a sense of entitlement saw the line, and started complaining, and proceeded to nudge her way to cut into the line in front of us. My wife casually blocked her way, with no physical contact. Her plan thwarted, she stormed to a staff member to complain. I wonder if she also cuts buffet lines.

Harry

France requires you to take the passport ashore also the Netherlands

not sure on Italy

I always carry photo copies for I.D. purposes

(Yes I do know you cannot fly home with photocopies) :rolleyes:

Lyn

Hi Harry. I was on the cruise with you. I was told at check in at the port in Southampton that Ireland requires passports be collected. The person didn't specify whether that was Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland, although I suspect it was the latter, given that it's a bit more "independent" than No. Ireland! I also don't know if Ireland was really the reason passports were collected, but I assume so. We have been on at least one other cruise where they were collected. It's a bit scary, but one good reason to carry copies of them when you go off the ship. I always take the ship agent info, too, just in case something happens and I'm afraid I might miss the ship! I've never had to use it, however!

Was your passport stamped by the Dublin authorities? We were bored while waiting at Heathrow and looked through our passports. My and my husband's passports had been stamped by the Dublin authorities!

You are right - going from Southampton to N. Ireland you are not leaving the UK - no passport should be required by authorities.

OTOH, going to Ireland you leaving the UK and you are entering the EU - thus passports are required.

That's how I see it - the Europeans may correct me.

Archived