# of kids on Alaska cruise in Sept?

sueandkent

We're looking at booking the Aug 30th sailing of the Crown Princess from Vancouver to Anchorage. This is the first week of school so we are hoping the # of children on board will be very low. This is this week next year. If anyone is onboard any of the current sailings perhaps they can comment on the demographic of the ship.

Just back from our Island Princess trip to Alaska. There were about 10-15 kids on the cruise. They ranged from about 10 month old twins to about 10 years old. None were ever a problem. We were in in each port with the Disney Wonder. The people off that ship seemed a little stressed.

There may be some kids onboard. Families with kids not yet in school. Homeschoolers. Maybe some families with kids starting that week, but their school district isn't as strict about missing the first few days of school (the Wednesday thru Friday after Labor Day).

But seriously, are a few kids onboard going to ruin your vacation? On only one of my eleven cruises (including some with Carnival), have I seen misbehaving kids -- and those brats were all from the same extended rich family.

There will almost always be far fewer young children on the Voyage of the Glaciers open-jaw cruises than the roundtrip Inside Passage cruises. The parents try to avoid the longer flight to or from Anchorage with kids--not to mention they don't want to spend the money on passports for the whole family, thus the popularity of the sailings from Seattle or San Francisco (which BTW are badly misnamed; they spend far more time on the open Pacific well away from land then they do in the Inside Passage).

We're looking at booking the Aug 30th sailing of the Crown Princess from Vancouver to Anchorage. This is the first week of school so we are hoping the # of children on board will be very low. This is this week next year. If anyone is onboard any of the current sailings perhaps they can comment on the demographic of the ship.

I think the OP is concerned about not having kids for his kid to interact with. EM

From his post, it seems the opposite.

I think the OP is concerned about not having kids for his kid to interact with. EM

I don't get that impression at all from the following statement:

...so we are hoping the # of children on board will be very low.

Hard to read: "We are hoping for plenty of kids on board for our child to interact with" from that statement.

Quite the opposite, trying to get a sailing with the least amount of kids as possible. It's not that we are kid haters just that we usually cruise when there are likely to be less children onboard and we like that. I know July and August are very busy for families going on Alaskan cruises and we just wanted to pick a date that may have a demographic a bit less family oriented. I know May would likely be the best but weather is always a factor too, early Sept is usually so nice.

Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping next week or someone checking in from one of the ships live may be able to chime in.

FYI - we've been on the Disney Wonder and we probably looked stressed too!:eek:

We sailed first week of September last year and the ship was almost child-free. I only saw a handful the entire week on board.

But be aware that school starts at very different times in different areas. Just in Southern California, in areas I am familiar with, some schools started 3 weeks ago, some start next week and others have started every week in between. I think It is safe to say that by September week 1 most all schools have gone back, but there is a wide variety of start dates. Similar to how every one asks when Spring Break is... that could be anywhere from early March to late April... it's just not like it used to be when every school year is the same.

Archived