Bistro on Five

pinecrest6

This was the one place on the ship where we were a little confused by tipping.

The $5 includes service (in fact, and this is just my theory, but I think of the $5 as the service charge and food at no cost).

OP - it is all you can eat, but I will warn you that those suckers can be filling! I ordered two crepes and a panini and I have to admit I didn't finish all of the second half of the sandwich. I'm looking forward to a cowboy crepe on the next cruise, even though DW wasn't a fan. She prefers the French style galette for her savory crepes - buckwheat flour, not sweet. I'm not picky :D

The $5 includes service (in fact, and this is just my theory, but I think of the $5 as the service charge and food at no cost).

OP - it is all you can eat, but I will warn you that those suckers can be filling! I ordered two crepes and a panini and I have to admit I didn't finish all of the second half of the sandwich. I'm looking forward to a cowboy crepe on the next cruise, even though DW wasn't a fan. She prefers the French style galette for her savory crepes - buckwheat flour, not sweet. I'm not picky :D

We always tip; $5 for each of us plus a $5-$10 tip.

We went there 3 times on our cruise (one was for the Extend Your Stay lunch - before we left the ship at 1.30pm to head to the airport)

This is the first mention I've seen of "Extend Your Stay" Is this something that is offered on all ships? Is there an additional cost?

We were on Millie during the infamous cruise to Ketchikan, Alaska, and we LOVED the Bistro. We went twice. While you're allowed to order anything and everything, our servers tended to offer one item per course. Not a big deal to us since we weren't planning on getting more, but it definitely felt more like a standard restaurant that way. The first time we only ordered entree crepes and dessert crepes, and the second time they also had a soup we were interested in so tried that as well. We ate every bite of every course we ordered!! So good. We had a beverage package, and my husband ordered a cider without issue. I had wanted to take a walk while my husband was finishing his entree crepe and brought back a drink with me, and the server assured us that we didn't have to leave to get a drink, that they'd get it for us. The servers' name tags said "Snack Attendant" as their titles, and I will say they weren't as good as in Blu where we ate each evening, but they were still very nice. This was the one place on the ship where we were a little confused by tipping. And we never saw it crowded. However, there is no view from the windows because they are obstructed by lifeboats or some other equipment (assuming this is true on all M-class ships, not sure about S-class).

The Maitre'd Blu on the Summit told us the servers in the Bistro are training to be assistant waiters in the main dining room.

Our was very friendly and knowledgeable. Hope he will be promoted soon!

The windows were obstructed on the Summit also.

on port days when the buffet gets way too busy and crowded, we usually head to Bistro on 5 and have a nice, quiet breakfast crepe and the famous nutella dessert crepe. We love the breakfast crepe's. :)

We had a beverage package, and my husband ordered a cider without issue. I had wanted to take a walk while my husband was finishing his entree crepe and brought back a drink with me, and the server assured us that we didn't have to leave to get a drink, that they'd get it for us.

We ended up at Bistro on 5 on embarkation day and enjoyed it very much. I ordered a glass of wine that fell within the Classic Package but then asked our waiter about upgrading the package for me. He said that needed to be done at one of the bars or at guest services. I asked where the nearest was, and he pointed me to the Martini Bar. It took several minutes to upgrade, and I came back to Bistro on 5 with a 20 Year Martini - just couldn't resist, and felt bad about taking up the bartender's time without purchasing a drink from him. (I'm still wondering if bartenders get some sort of bonus for upgrading a package.) Our waiter soon showed up with the wine I'd originally ordered. Oops. I drank the martini with lunch and took the wine to sailaway.

We ended up at Bistro on 5 on embarkation day and enjoyed it very much. I ordered a glass of wine that fell within the Classic Package but then asked our waiter about upgrading the package for me. He said that needed to be done at one of the bars or at guest services. I asked where the nearest was, and he pointed me to the Martini Bar. It took several minutes to upgrade, and I came back to Bistro on 5 with a 20 Year Martini - just couldn't resist, and felt bad about taking up the bartender's time without purchasing a drink from him. (I'm still wondering if bartenders get some sort of bonus for upgrading a package.) Our waiter soon showed up with the wine I'd originally ordered. Oops. I drank the martini with lunch and took the wine to sailaway.

Sounds like the beginning of a wonderful cruise!

Do try the soups - quite delicious. We usually have soup, savory crepe and a dessert crepe - each. It's a great place to break in your drink package upon embarkation too. Here are some pics of our favorites :

Indian harvest crepe:

P1170535.jpg

Sweet and sour crepe

P1170536.jpg

Italian crepe

P1170537.jpg

Yum! Indian harvest looks good! What is in it, and what is the sauce on top?

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

It is a nice stop when boarding instead of the using and fighting the crowd in the pig trough that everyone is directed to. I don't think that the food is really anything special but I like not having to fight for a table, and constantly running to get something to eat or drink. It is normally a nice quiet atmosphere unless there is that loud mouth life of the party that needs to be seen and heard as if they are auditioning to be the CD on Carnival and letting everyone on the ship know that they are beginning a cruise.

For us that one time is enough and there is really more food than anyone needs for lunch. We love the service as we are able to relax and not be rushed. By the time we are ready to leave the cabins are usually available to drop off our carry ons.

The $5 cover is worth the price of admission.

:D

We will be trying B on 5 again in March. Our first and only experience was just okay. Our server changed during lunch and it caused confusion. Our crepes were not hot. Soup was very good. I do agree that it's a nice alternative to the crowded areas. We also like The Porch and will have lunch there after embarkation.

We have enjoyed Bistro on 5 on our most recent X cruises. Amost every time we have been in the Bistro it was nearly empty. I hope the Bistro in profitable enought to stay, as it is a very nice alternative to the buffet breakfast and lunch.

The B5 is an excellent value, it was never crowded, in fact mostly empty. The crab crepe was excellent. $5 covers everything you want except if you get ice cream from the gelato next door which they will gladly serve you. Much better than the DIY buffet. Service was slow, but since you're near the atrium you can hear and see what is going on.

For whomever was asking...

The Bistro is open very late..midnight-ish?

When we reboarded in Sydney after an opera, we stopped for supper...it was nearly midnight.

Open early too...but you can't get any breakfast before 6 am!

Archived