Norwegian Jade?

willow surfside

We are considering a Greek Isles cruise next year on the Jade. Never cruised with NCL. For some reason our TA is not too keen on Norwegian...says cabins are small and the ship in general does not compare to RCCL/Princess, etc. Now I am not a fancy person but do want the cabin to be nice and food decent. If you have been on the Jade or done the Greek itenerery 7 day(Venice, Corfu, santorini, etc). Thanks so much.

I have been on the Jade several times.

I have sailed the Med cruises on Norwegian several times.

I am sailing that Greek Isle itinerary next month.

I have never been disappointed.

Can your travel agent say the same? :p

Well Said!!:)

Have not sailed the Jade yet. Leave next month for B2B cruise on her.

Only other NCL experience was on the Dawn in Jan.

The cabin size depends on the type and location. Check out the deck plans and other resources. We had a mid ship mini suite with balcony on the Dawn. The "mini suite" label refers to their larger balcony cabins but they compare favourably to the mid ship balcony cabins on Princess. Never sailed RCCI so can't comment.

The food is standard fare for cruise ships and also compares favourably with Princess.

All the reviews I have read about the Jade are good. I don't think you would be disappointed.

If the itinerary and price is right for you then go for it.

We have been on the Jade and we loved the ship. We were in a owners suite so the room was huge, but we have also stayed in inside cabins on other Norwegian ships and had no problem with the size or decor. Our last cruise was on Royal Caribbean and I was very disappointed with the ship, service and food. I would take Norwegian over Royal Caribbean anyday.

Edited by Bocadude85

In Europe, NCL is the best deal out there (Carnival is cheaper but you take your chances, lol). We cruise in NCL suites for similar cost to balcony in other lines. We've been on the Jade twice, b2b eastern and western Med. and are taking a 10 day eastern Med next year that overnights in Istanbul. Were on your cruise last May in an aft penthouse, wonderful experience. Your TA has an agenda, do your own homework.

Whilst I can't compare to other lines as we've ONLY cruised NCL............it suits us! :) I CAN comment on the Jade as we sailed her last month.

Great ship, great crew, cabins were more than adequate and nicely equipped, food was excellent everywhere we ate, from free to fee!

You'll hear no complaints about the Jade from us!

As for the Greek Islands.......just fantastic.....there's a link to my review in my signature.

I say go for it!! :) :)

We have been on the Jade 2 times and the Gem once. We have sailed Princess 5 times and Celebrity once. I have to say unless we can get a full suite, we do not sail on NCL. The NCL suites are not that much more expensive than the minis on Princess but you can eat in Cagneys for breakfast and lunch and the cabin and balcony (aft for us) are great. The food on NCL for dinner is not as good as Princess or Celebrity in terms of quality, variety and service.I would do research on CC for all the lines that have the itinerary you want and compare space, service and price. We were on the Jade and Gem and Celebrity for Med cruises. NCL in a suite was a good value and the entertainment was better than Celebrity.

I sailed on Jade in Feb in the Med., had an inside room on deck 10 and that is the smallest inside room I have ever had on any cruise besides one on Noordam (which was the only other time I had such a small room N inside on Holland America). The next smallest inside cabin was on RCI inside and the largest were on Carnival and any other insides I had on Holland America, average insides on HAL and Carnival are 185 sq feet. Even the smallest inside/port hole cabins on Carnival are larger by far than a 143 sq ft on NCL. I have had baclonies that are large, the largest on Hal and Carnival.

I liked Jade a lot, very comfortable, lots of places to hang out. Great entertainment. Friendly staff and wonderful visible officers. The dining rooms were lovely, good food and ambiance. Lido eating area was often very crowded but you bould find seating outside which was nice. The bars looked nice, lots of choice esp the big one where the white night party, bingo and the repeaters party are held. Couple of movies were shown in the afternoon on a bar area.

Edited by lettienets

Thanks everyone...this is why I depend on cruise critic and trip advisor for my travel and NOT the travel agent. We just returned from the Princess Ireland, Scotland and wales and it was wonderful but they don't have the itenerery we want. Looks like you have sold me on the Jade. Thanks again.

We are considering a Greek Isles cruise next year on the Jade. Never cruised with NCL. For some reason our TA is not too keen on Norwegian...says cabins are small and the ship in general does not compare to RCCL/Princess, etc. Now I am not a fancy person but do want the cabin to be nice and food decent. If you have been on the Jade or done the Greek itenerery 7 day(Venice, Corfu, santorini, etc). Thanks so much.

We did the Jade with a balcony and the cabin size is similar to Celebrity's Veranda (balcony).

The small cabins on NCL ships are the insides.

Thanks everyone...this is why I depend on cruise critic and trip advisor for my travel and NOT the travel agent. We just returned from the Princess Ireland, Scotland and wales and it was wonderful but they don't have the itenerery we want. Looks like you have sold me on the Jade. Thanks again.

I imagine they often make decisions based on their personal preferences, amount of commission they get, perks or bonuses they are close to getting with a particular line, etc.

We were on the Jade for a western Med cruise in 2010 and absolutely loved it. It was our second NCL cruise as recent refugees from Princess. We especially liked Freestyle since our schedule was very port intensive, and we really wanted to maximize time on shore rather than worrying about getting back in time to dress for dinner.

I agree with your TA, having sailed with 13 different cruiselines including RCI and Princess. We have been on the Jade 3 times and the Gem. We have not cruised NCL for a couple of years, but are sailing this month on the Dawn. We do not hesitate to book NCL if the itinery is right for us, but would always choose RCI for an identical or similar itinery as the MDR food is better and so is service. NCL is good for buffet food and we use that for brekkie and lunch but MDR food too often is not up to the mark for us, but is NOT a dealbreaker!

If the itinery is right, my advice would by try the Jade then you will know for yourself.

Thanks coka...I got it and saved it. Did u say u did this cruise too?

Hi willow, yes, I did this cruise August 3rd. The Jewel class ships on Norwegian are my favorite and this was the first time on Jade doing a Med cruise. We enjoyed this itinerary and we enjoyed the ship. Your cabin and the food will be decent as you asked in your first post. What I like about Norwegian is I can be fancy or not whenever on any evening. Feel free to ask more questions for us to assist you further in your choice...are you looking at a particular cabin category...are you interested in food options...ship activities? The Jewel class ships do not have the big atriums like some royal and princess ships do.

coka

Anyone who makes a blanket (good-bad) statement regarding any of the mainstream cruiselines (X, Princess, NCL, RCCI, and yes even Carnival)is being unfair and inaccurate IMHO. Kind of like saying I would not buy a Ford or Chevrolet without considering model, price, options, etc. When it comes to a travel agent (and if they are not offering stellar, specific guidance why use one) you must think there are ulterior motives to promoting or denigrating one line.

Specifically, for the European itineraries as one poster already well stated , NCL seems to offer outstanding value. We are headed out on a Jade Suite next month and I have casually watched European cruise prices over the past year. For what we are paying for a penthouse we would be lucky to get a mini suite and probably more likely a balcony on a competing mainstream cruise. For me it is a no brainer and I having taken four NCL cruises I would not hesitate to sail with them again. When my wife and I can't always agree on preferred lines, ships, dining, etc. it is amazing that a TA can write off NCL without making a precise and informed comparison. JMHO

DW and I were on the same cruise as meltingmoments and coka. Have to agree with what they have said, the Jade is a wonderful ship. The decor is a bit quirky compared to where you're cruising, but as long as we got to where we were supposed to go, it bother us at all. In fact, I think it added to the uniqueness of the ship.

Now, having said all of that, the Jade itself is fine. The passengers were another thing. Now don't get me wrong, we're both easy going folks and like to have a good time. But going in August when school is out was not a good idea in Europe. So before you feel the need to flame let me explain.

I'm retired, DW is an Educators Assistant and we both can tolerate a lot, but the way the children were allowed to run around the buffet are was a joke. Hey kids are kids, that wasn't the issue, it was the parents.

I personally witnessed two children (9-11) actually run across the path of an adult carrying two plates of food, knocking the arm, making the plate fall on the floor.

Instead of chastising the child, the Parent started to blame the Adult for not being more careful ! Really !! This was a constant game for us, trying to guess who would be next, many times, it was almost us.

This wasn't an isolated incident, I watched this happen all over the ship. We didn't let this interfere with our cruise as it was more of a nuisance than anything. So we have decided the next time time we cruise overseas or for that matter anywhere, it wouldn't be when school is out. Late spring or early fall would be our first choice for Europe next time.

Enjoy the Greek Isles, you'll have a wonderful time, especially Santorini !!

cheers...the Ump...:D (not the grump lol)