Norwegian Jade?

willow surfside

DW and I were on the same cruise as meltingmoments and coka. Have to agree with what they have said, the Jade is a wonderful ship. The decor is a bit quirky compared to where you're cruising, but as long as we got to where we were supposed to go, it bother us at all. In fact, I think it added to the uniqueness of the ship.

Now, having said all of that, the Jade itself is fine. The passengers were another thing. Now don't get me wrong, we're both easy going folks and like to have a good time. But going in August when school is out was not a good idea in Europe. So before you feel the need to flame let me explain.

I'm retired, DW is an Educators Assistant and we both can tolerate a lot, but the way the children were allowed to run around the buffet are was a joke. Hey kids are kids, that wasn't the issue, it was the parents.

I personally witnessed two children (9-11) actually run across the path of an adult carrying two plates of food, knocking the arm, making the plate fall on the floor.

Instead of chastising the child, the Parent started to blame the Adult for not being more careful ! Really !! This was a constant game for us, trying to guess who would be next, many times, it was almost us.

This wasn't an isolated incident, I watched this happen all over the ship. We didn't let this interfere with our cruise as it was more of a nuisance than anything. So we have decided the next time time we cruise overseas or for that matter anywhere, it wouldn't be when school is out. Late spring or early fall would be our first choice for Europe next time.

Enjoy the Greek Isles, you'll have a wonderful time, especially Santorini !!

cheers...the Ump...:D (not the grump lol)

Hi (gr)umpy!! ;)

Now then, I must say I have to agree with you here, AND I can say our experience was very similar on the Epic at the same time last year! We are like you, takes more than that to spoil a cruise, but given my pretty recent accident, I was VERY cautious and more than a little worried on occasion in that buffet area!

That said, we HAVE to cruise during August........School hols in Britain.......and I teach! Can be a bit of a * busmans * holiday for me, with all the little ones around! But worth noting if considering cruising in Europe at that time of year!

We were on a 10 night Mediterranean cruise on the Jade in February...loved everything about it!! The cruise director was Gary, who was incredible. We had an oceanview, and that worked fine for us! We got a wonderful deal, and loved all of the places we went, really enjoyed doing things with fellow cruisers and had absolutely no complaints about the food!!

Yes, I did this cruise last September, and it was fantastic!! I loved both the Jade and the Pearl - the NCL Jewel-Class ships are the perfect size. I think the food is just fine on NCL. But I can't comment on cabin size, I had a family balcony, so it was larger than most balcony cabins. BTW - Balcony cabin is definitely worth it for this itinerary!!

You are going to love this cruise -- I want to do it again!

Hi (gr)umpy!! ;)

Now then, I must say I have to agree with you here, AND I can say our experience was very similar on the Epic at the same time last year! We are like you, takes more than that to spoil a cruise, but given my pretty recent accident, I was VERY cautious and more than a little worried on occasion in that buffet area!

That said, we HAVE to cruise during August........School hols in Britain.......and I teach! Can be a bit of a * busmans * holiday for me, with all the little ones around! But worth noting if considering cruising in Europe at that time of year!

HI (gr)umpy ............ Too funny !!! :D Still laughing at that one, good one, might have to use that.

We were also on the Spirit for 12 days prior to the Jade, and didn't have that issue at all. The Spirit and all of it's crew were in a word Fantastic. Our Favorite NCL Ship so far and we will definitely be boarding her for a cruise again.

There was one thing that I didn't mention that all the ports we visited while on the Jade were not as "congested" as the ports while on the Spirit.

Mostly because ports like Rome, Athens, Livorno, Naples etc. would have more to see and do for a tourist than say Katakolon, Corfu.

But that was just a personal observation. We would like to do the Jade cruise again sometime other than the "summer" months and for that matter even that 12 Day on the Spirit. The heat then was stifling at times and I'm sure we would have done more with cooler temps. Live and learn I guess.

cheers... the (gr)Ump...:D

HI (gr)umpy ............ Too funny !!! :D Still laughing at that one, good one, might have to use that.

See now THAT'S because I work with little ones........it's something THEY would say! ;)

We were also on the Spirit for 12 days prior to the Jade, and didn't have that issue at all. The Spirit and all of it's crew were in a word Fantastic. Our Favorite NCL Ship so far and we will definitely be boarding her for a cruise again.

There was one thing that I didn't mention that all the ports we visited while on the Jade were not as "congested" as the ports while on the Spirit.

Mostly because ports like Rome, Athens, Livorno, Naples etc. would have more to see and do for a tourist than say Katakolon, Corfu.

But that was just a personal observation.

That was our observation too. We did the Epic last year with some similar ports and EVERY port was heaving! Quite uncomfortable at times.........not so the Jade ports! :)

We would like to do the Jade cruise again sometime other than the "summer" months and for that matter even that 12 Day on the Spirit. The heat then was stifling at times and I'm sure we would have done more with cooler temps. Live and learn I guess.

cheers... the (gr)Ump...:D

I would sail the Jade again in a heartbeat.......loved every minute! :)

• 9 months later...
We have been on the Jade 2 times and the Gem once. We have sailed Princess 5 times and Celebrity once. I have to say unless we can get a full suite, we do not sail on NCL. The NCL suites are not that much more expensive than the minis on Princess but you can eat in Cagneys for breakfast and lunch and the cabin and balcony (aft for us) are great. The food on NCL for dinner is not as good as Princess or Celebrity in terms of quality, variety and service.I would do research on CC for all the lines that have the itinerary you want and compare space, service and price. We were on the Jade and Gem and Celebrity for Med cruises. NCL in a suite was a good value and the entertainment was better than Celebrity.

You can eat at cagneys for free at lunch and breakfast?

• 4 weeks later...
I am also looking at booking this cruise next year, think I may go for September or early October :D

We just did the Jade Greek Isles cruise from Venice in late June and had a great time! Our review with photos is at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2070831

Hope you have a great time! The weather in Sep or Oct should be cooler.