Suite Guests eating in Blu asked for additional tip??

Trekker954

Lets look at this in a different way. Suite guests are assigned to the MDR. Your tips are allocated to the wait staff there. They only have a few tables from which to derive their income. A suite guest now decides to eat in Blu, not in his assigned location. He wants to reallocate his gratuities to Blu or feels that since he is already paying gratuities for dining he does not need to tip further. So, you are basically screwing either the Blu staff by not tipping them or the MDR staff because you have decided not to eat where assigned and are removing your gratuity. Is that about right?

I think you are making too much out of this. If you have your gratuities automatically deducted each day, it's up to the ship to sort it out, no matter where you eat. If you want to tip extra, it's at your discretion. I don't think anybody is being stiffed, unless of course if you turn off the automatic tips from your seapass account.

I think you are making too much out of this. If you have your gratuities automatically deducted each day, it's up to the ship to sort it out, no matter where you eat. If you want to tip extra, it's at your discretion. I don't think anybody is being stiffed, unless of course if you turn off the automatic tips from your seapass account.

Gotta love that phrase.....it's not my problem, celebrity will surely do the right thing....I don't have to part with $10 for tips for dinner in a specialty restaurant (blu is a specialty restaurant).....I've saved $30 if I eat in Blu and don't tip three times....that's three martinis....life is good!

I don't really think I am making too much out of this. Some of the other posters may be. I am just trying to point out that Celebrity cannot make this right. If you have an assigned dining spot and your tips are going there then the people in Blu are working harder and not getting anything for it. If you remove your tips and transfer them to Blu then the MDR servers are losing income and cannot make that up. Blu servers are only compensated by those in AQ and not by the suite passengers who seem to object to having to do what is right. Seems easy to me.

This whole discussion about suite guests worrying about $10 one way or the other is, to me, absurd. You have enough money to book a suite, take excursions, and so but you are concerned about an extra $5 pp going to someone who is working hard to make minimum wage.

Before someone else in a suite posts that they are concerned that they are asked for a tip...or is worried that their tip should be moved....stop typing for a minute and think about life....your life and the folks working on ships life.

This is most definitely a first world problem.

Gotta love that phrase.....it's not my problem, celebrity will surely do the right thing....I don't have to part with $10 for tips for dinner in a specialty restaurant (blu is a specialty restaurant).....I've saved $30 if I eat in Blu and don't tip three times....that's three martinis....life is good!

You guys seem to be making a "meal" out of this. It has nothing to do with saving $30. Maybe we should go back to the envelopes -- now that would be fair. :rolleyes:

I don't really think I am making too much out of this. Some of the other posters may be. I am just trying to point out that Celebrity cannot make this right. If you have an assigned dining spot and your tips are going there then the people in Blu are working harder and not getting anything for it. If you remove your tips and transfer them to Blu then the MDR servers are losing income and cannot make that up. Blu servers are only compensated by those in AQ and not by the suite passengers who seem to object to having to do what is right. Seems easy to me.

If there is a problem and I don't think there is but Celebrity can make it right easily. Change the perk and don't allow suites to eat in Blu and go back to the original concept for Blu.

If there is a problem and I don't think there is but Celebrity can make it right easily. Change the perk and don't allow suites to eat in Blu and go back to the original concept for Blu.

And I used to think wearing dress clothes on formal nights was a hot discussion!

:) Enjoy your evening! LOL

I usually don't get involved in discussions like this because no one ever wins. BUT, I have been told that the suite guests dining in a specialty restaurant that has been comped, is asked to pay $5.00 each as a gratituty. I believe it is appropriate to ask for $5.00 each in Blu also because it IS a specialty restaurant.

O.K., back to the waffle threads. ;)

We'll be in a suite in October and chose Select Dining. We planned on trying Blu, but I hadn't thought about how Celebrity assigns the automatic tips and I'm grateful for the information shared here. We will definitely tip the waiter each night we dine in Blu and the waiter in the specialty restaurant when we have our complimentary dinner. Thank you!

I usually don't get involved in discussions like this because no one ever wins. BUT, I have been told that the suite guests dining in a specialty restaurant that has been comped, is asked to pay $5.00 each as a gratituty. I believe it is appropriate to ask for $5.00 each in Blu also because it IS a specialty restaurant.

O.K., back to the waffle threads. ;)

Yeah, but sometimes they don't ask you to pay the $5. We were never asked on a 14-day TA, so I can only assume since they took our stateroom number down each night and never asked us to pay the $5, the gratuity was transferred from the MDR.

As the old adage goes, never assume because..........................

Hahaha; good one... That's exactly why I didn't use the word "assume"! We know better than to assume much consistency in Celebrity handling. I said that Celebrity "can" address it.:D

Good night, all.

Jane

• 3 weeks later...
Many blu guest dine in MDR and speciality restaurants and I would "assume", they don't reduce the tip at the end of the cruise- well we never did. We have been Aqua class guests and suite guests and wouldn't nickle and dime the staff if we dined in speciality restaurants, which we do most evenings.

Sorry, coming back after an absence. I meant to say I was in Aqua Class (I was not in a suite). But regarding this post. We weren't given the option of MDR. When we went they directed us back to Blu and said that is our dining room.

After reading the responses here, as the OP, I think threads like this are important as it seems many learned of this charge since it is not consistent on all ships. I'm sure the folks who sat next to me and received the bill (I didn't notice any type of $5 charge by the way, it said to pen in a gratuity - I was sort of mortified they leaned over to show it to me). I think the man was more insulted that he received a bill. I guess maybe they should state something on the letter in the suite rooms explaining they will be charged x amount when they dine in Blu. I liked Blu. And if someday I'm lucky enough to sail in a full blown suite, I will eat there too. :)

• 1 month later...
This whole discussion about suite guests worrying about $10 one way or the other is, to me, absurd. You have enough money to book a suite, take excursions, and so but you are concerned about an extra $5 pp going to someone who is working hard to make minimum wage.

Before someone else in a suite posts that they are concerned that they are asked for a tip...or is worried that their tip should be moved....stop typing for a minute and think about life....your life and the folks working on ships life.

Well said!

Archived