Renovation of R Class Oceania ships

Rotterdam

My partner & I sailed a 16 day cruise on Azamara Journey & really liked the size of the ship - what we really didn't enjoy was the Disneyesque English Country décor.

The larger/newer "O" ships look beautiful - is there any chance the R ships that O operates will undergo complete remodels for a fleet wide cohesive look?

Thank you for any thoughts/information.

My partner & I sailed a 16 day cruise on Azamara Journey & really liked the size of the ship - what we really didn't enjoy was the Disneyesque English Country décor.

The larger/newer "O" ships look beautiful - is there any chance the R ships that O operates will undergo complete remodels for a fleet wide cohesive look?

Hopefully not..

Many of us love the R ships the way they are and the atmosphere

they exude. The coffee bar and the grill and showers in the Owners Suites will however be a big improvement.

what we really didn't enjoy was the Disneyesque English Country décor.

I have no information in response to your question, but I certainly never thought to describe the decor on my recent Azamara cruise or earlier Oceania cruises on "R" ships as Disneyesque. The Azamara ship definitely was more in need of renovation, but they were very similar.

Hopefully not..

they exude. The coffee bar and the grill and showers in the Owners Suites will however be a big improvement.

Showers in the Owner's Suite? Do you mean they intend to remove the jacuzzi bathtub or that they are expanding the main bathroom? Or somehow trying to squeeze in a shower in the guest bath?

My husband and I enjoyed several baths together and would hope that the tub will not be removed; however, getting into and out of the tub does present a bit of a challenge, even to him, though he is very slim and very fit, so a re-configured tub with easier access would be great. And a shower IN ADDITiON to the tub, would be lovely.

Showers in the Owner's Suite? Do you mean they intend to remove the jacuzzi bathtub or that they are expanding the main bathroom? Or somehow try to squeeze in a shower in the guest bath?

FDR did not make exactly clear what they are doing but to say the bathrooms will be completely re-modeled. The addition of a separate shower would make those suites even more perfect.

FDR did not make exactly clear what they are doing but to say the bathrooms will be completely re-modeled. The addition of a separate shower would make those suites even more perfect.

I agree that the addition of a separate shower would be great. ;)

Still, a luxurious suite needs a bathtub, too.

Showers in the Owner's Suite? Do you mean they intend to remove the jacuzzi bathtub or that they are expanding the main bathroom? Or somehow trying to squeeze in a shower in the guest bath?

My husband and I enjoyed several baths together and would hope that the tub will not be removed; however, getting into and out of the tub does present a bit of a challenge, even to him, though he is very slim and very fit, so a re-configured tub with easier access would be great. And a shower IN ADDITiON to the tub, would be lovely.

I hope they are not removing the jacuzzi tub! We love it, even though a little difficult to get in and out of, which I did with a bad leg.

Oceans&Rivers...too much information, but good for you guys...lol The décor of the R ships is NOT Disneyesque. When on Marina we actually miss Regatta...especially Martinis where the furniture is comfy. It is tough to hang about on the uncomfortable O ship furniture with heavy chairs you cannot move about. Of course, love all the restaurants, grill, coffee and sun deck. I also feel trapped in the Stage Lounge with theatre seating and miss the ambiance of the small cocktail tables like you were actually in a night club. Plus and minus with both types of ships.

We prefer when we are in an English Country décor to be in the English countryside, in an English country house/manor - it was all so 1980's and it did need refurbishing. As someone noted the O ships seem to be toned down abit.

The size of the ship was wonderful & we are looking into O's newer ships that are very appealing.

Hopefully not..

You won't be disappointed. Marina and Riviera are very modern and beautiful.

Yes the décor looks very attractive & the reviews & comments seem to please passengers & are also comfortable & efficient. We started cruising in the 1970's(my parents & grandparents sailed back into the early 1900's) and the ships had wonderful and interesting design elements that were distinctive - think of the France & QE2. My favorite were the Italian ships....I enjoy all styles of design & architecture - fortunately here in NYC we are exposed to a wide variety of styles(some spectacular - some less so).

I would love to sail on the R ships again (w/ Oceania) and have them redone in a similar fashion as the newer ships or at least toned down.

Back then ships' decors reflected the countries under whose flags they sailed, Nowadays most ships are constructed to reflect Disneyland. Fortunately, Oceania has lovely ships. I like the decor of both sizes for different reasons.

I agree that the addition of a separate shower would be great. ;)

Still, a luxurious suite needs a bathtub, too.

Hi O & R!

Please email me at Ricki at aol.com. I have Crystal/Oceania questions, but don't want to rehash it on the board. :o Thank you!

Ricki

Back then ships' decors reflected the countries under whose flags they sailed, Nowadays most ships are constructed to reflect Disneyland. Fortunately, Oceania has lovely ships. I like the decor of both sizes for different reasons.

Take a look at the drawings of the upcoming Ocean Star from Viking Cruises. The decor looks Scandinavian.

We prefer when we are in an English Country décor to be in the English countryside, in an English country house/manor - it was all so 1980's and it did need refurbishing.

+1

We just cruised on Nautica, having cruised on her three years ago. This time, I was very struck by her worn look. Lots of dings and nicks on the dark woodwork, made easily visible precisely because it was dark. The upholstery just looked tired. I remember our first cruise on Regatta; the upholstery on the sofas in the Grand Bar simply took my breath away. It was heavily embroidered material and I shuddered to think of the wear and tear that exquisite fabric was going to get. Since I assume Oceania is planning for a refreshment some time in the near (?) future, I hope they'll consider a more modern style with more authentic accessories.

I adore the Barovier and Tosso chandelier above the piano in the Martini bar in Marina. I adore the Chihuly (Chihuly-esque?) glass flowers on the wall in the Terrace on Marina. These and many other details are real works of contemporary art and design on Marina. On Nautica, there's nothing authentic or equivalent. The art work is all "in the style of." Why not, at least, buy real art work of the quality on Marina even if the furnishings so remain somewhat more traditional in the redecoration?

+1

We just cruised on Nautica,

I adore the Barovier and Tosso chandelier above the piano in the Martini bar in Marina. I adore the Chihuly (Chihuly-esque?) glass flowers on the wall in the Terrace on Marina. These and many other details are real works of contemporary art and design on Marina. On Nautica, there's nothing authentic or equivalent. The art work is all "in the style of." Why not, at least, buy real art work of the quality on Marina even if the furnishings so remain somewhat more traditional in the redecoration?

I guess you won't mind paying for it. For great art I go to museums and don't think my cruise will be greatly improved by art of my choice or yours.

I guess you won't mind paying for it. For great art I go to museums and don't think my cruise will be greatly improved by art of my choice or yours.

I'm not advocating buying a real Renoir or Picasso! I'm recommending buying real art that reflects someone's talent rather than their ability to copy the great masters.

Oceania was able to afford this level art on Marina and, I presume, on Riviera. Furthermore, Oceania is justifiably proud of their art on the O ships! I remember a glossy magazine in our Marina stateroom its inaugural season with information about the ship, including the art work. Parity for the R ships. That's all I'm suggesting.

I doubt Oceania went this route when furnishing Marina and Riviera, but a great place to buy original art at a reasonable price is the June graduation show of every university that offers a Bachelor's degrees or Masters degree of Fine Art. All the graduating students create work for a final show that is for sale at very affordable prices.

Also I just thought of a practical reason for a redo - as you mentioned - the use these furnishing get. I believe in their former life were laid up for a while..so the furnishings ae quite old now...I understand O waiting while effort & $ was spent on the new builds...but now it seems they are really stretching it a bit too long. I too would love to see the R ships redone in the style of the Marina....I do know when we saled on Azamara Journey the original mattresses were still on the beds...not good! I understand corporate plans / policies but not at my expense.

+1

We just cruised on Nautica, having cruised on her three years ago. This time, I was very struck by her worn look. Lots of dings and nicks on the dark woodwork, made easily visible precisely because it was dark. The upholstery just looked tired. I remember our first cruise on Regatta; the upholstery on the sofas in the Grand Bar simply took my breath away. It was heavily embroidered material and I shuddered to think of the wear and tear that exquisite fabric was going to get. Since I assume Oceania is planning for a refreshment some time in the near (?) future, I hope they'll consider a more modern style with more authentic accessories.

Sorry, the email didn't arrive. Probably still circling in cyberspace. Please try again. Ricki@ aol.com

Thanks!

Circling in cyberspace doesn't sound good at all. I'm positive I sent it to your correct email address (two days ago) and got no message of non-delivery. Nevertheless, I'll try again...this time with a much shorter email just to touch bases.

It would be great if Cruise Critic had the "private message" option!

Circling in cyberspace doesn't sound good at all. I'm positive I sent it to your correct email address (two days ago) and got no message of non-delivery. Nevertheless, I'll try again...this time with a much shorter email just to touch bases.

It would be great if Cruise Critic had the "private message" option!

Got it, O & R! Thank you

Ricki

I too would love to see the R ships redone in the style of the Marina....I do know when we saled on Azamara Journey the original mattresses were still on the beds...not good! I understand corporate plans / policies but not at my expense.

An unfortunate choice of words as O's mattresses are the best out there on both classes of ships. From what I understand even A has updated their mattresses now.

I don't mind "freshening" up the R ships (replacing worn carpets, fabrics, furniture as needed, etc) but I would prefer that they keep their character and their own charm.

After all, you and everyone else has a choice - if you want modern go O class, for tradition go with R.

Archived