Cozumel snorkeling - Money Bar or Palancar?

WisCruiser2

Posted this in the Scuba/Snorkel forum, too:

Going to be our 2nd time in Cozumel. 1st time we went to Chankanaab & enjoyed it but want to try a different beach for snorkeling. We probably will just do shore snorkeling although I see that each place has "tours" too -- are they worth it? DH & I are in our 60s, like to just float around & see what we can see, along with spending quality time in a lounger on the beach :D We bring our own equipment so won't be needing to rent any.

Although I have never been to the Money Bar, I have done a lot of research on the place. Everyone here says it's pretty much the same snorkeling as it is at Chankanaab. It's just a smaller little beach club. you walk down into the water via steps just like at Chankanaab and you are right there at the snorkeling area.

Here's a few pictures I have aquired from the place. Some are not mine and they are pictures from the internet and others are pictures that I took using google earth to get a better feel for the place and location.

beach3.jpg

beach.jpg

beach2.jpg

18_m6tour006-M.jpg

299bhh-M.jpg

money%20bar%20pic-M.jpg

We snorkeled Dzul-ha before the Money Bar went in. This is a pretty good place to snorkel from shore. Playa Palancar is not very good for snorkeling unless you take their boat trip out to the reef.

The top shore snorkeling that we have done was Dzul-ha (Money Bar), Chankanaab, Playa Corona, and Playa Uvas. All have ironshore which provides habitat for the fish. The clubs past Playa Corona are in sandier spots with less fish.

Thanks for the photos! Looks like the steps might be a little easier than the ones at Chankanaab.

I don't know how hard the ones at Chankanaab are, but the steps at Money weren't very easy.... however, there are multiple options, including a pier that has a ladder you can climb up/down.

We loved Money Bar. It was the entire reason we chose to go back to Cozumel.

Palancar by boat...get dropped in, float with the current, wish you were diving! This is a totally different experience as you are above massive coral high up. If you have never snorkeled this way, it is very easy, but remember you are out in open water. Stay with the group. Amazing experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

We have snorkeled Chankanaab on at least five occasions (once while staying at Iberostar) and were never disappointed. It still remains an affordable option with different levels of water participation including swimming, snorkeling among the statues, helmet diving, tank diving and swimming with dolphins, all readily and cheaply accessible by cab. Plus there are the land activities, the simulated Mayan village, massage tents, and seal show. The first time we took the ship's tour, but taking a cab is now our only way to go.

We went to Paradise beach last time and the snorkeling did not compare, the beach was packed, we felt like sardines lined up in narrow rows. Carlos and Charlie's is free and has beach access, but not sure about snorkeling there...the inflatable was down the day we were there, but the fish tacos and guacamole were delicious. Impossible to get food service at Paradise the day we were there, so busy.

Money bar may be similar, have heard it can be over-crowded.

The best thing about Chankanaab is it is a large protected area...no jet skis, boats, etc. Chankanaab just keeps getting better every time we visit.

Posted this in the Scuba/Snorkel forum, too:

Going to be our 2nd time in Cozumel. 1st time we went to Chankanaab & enjoyed it but want to try a different beach for snorkeling. We probably will just do shore snorkeling although I see that each place has "tours" too -- are they worth it? DH & I are in our 60s, like to just float around & see what we can see, along with spending quality time in a lounger on the beach :D We bring our own equipment so won't be needing to rent any.

Hi, Mary and Rick,

You sound like our kind of people -- the "mature" :) snorkeling kind, who has their own equipment and wants to go "off the grid" from time to time.

So, may I ask:

1. When you were in Cozumel the first time, did you go to Chank with a ship excursion or on your own? Do you have a recommendation one way or the other? (We are planning to go it on our own in March.)

2. When will you next be in Cozumel? Will you please report back to us as to which place you ended up using, and how you liked it? DH and I at least will want to know!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Mary and Rick,

You sound like our kind of people -- the "mature" :) snorkeling kind, who has their own equipment and wants to go "off the grid" from time to time.

So, may I ask:

1. When you were in Cozumel the first time, did you go to Chank with a ship excursion or on your own? Do you have a recommendation one way or the other? (We are planning to go it on our own in March.) We were there in 2008, just took a taxi. Google the park website for a $2 off coupon for admittance. Once there, you just park yourself on a lounger under a palapa & enjoy! There are rock "steps" to get in & out of the water that are a little tricky. You can rent snorkel equipment there if you need to. There's also walking trails with replicas of Aztec ruins (interesting, but don't need to see them again) & of course, the dolphin encounter & other activities there. Nice place!

2. When will you next be in Cozumel? Will you please report back to us as to which place you ended up using, and how you liked it? DH and I at least will want to know! We are going at the end of January, so I'll definitely report back :D

Thanks!

Enjoy your cruise!

• 1 month later...
Palancar by boat...get dropped in, float with the current, wish you were diving! This is a totally different experience as you are above massive coral high up. If you have never snorkeled this way, it is very easy, but remember you are out in open water. Stay with the group. Amazing experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Agreed - had a great time snorkeling here...plus food was great...not crowded. Was around $30/pp...take you to 2 reefs.

Taking the family in a few weeks!

John in NC

Agreed - had a great time snorkeling here...plus food was great...not crowded. Was around $30/pp...take you to 2 reefs.

Taking the family in a few weeks!

John in NC

Thanks for posting your experience. This was one of our first excursions in the area and it left a lasting impression on me. We saw a massive grouper and some divers. I didn't know there was coral that size in the world! Kind of like seeing some of the world's largest palm trees in Belize on the cave tubing trip, just amazing and unforgettable. Glad you all had a great time and enjoy your next trip.

We were at Money Bar last week and the snorkeling was awesome! We saw 2 barracuda, a moray eel and a LOT of fish! The employees at the Money Bar were great and there weren't many people there. We ate at the restaurant and the prices were very reasonable. I would definitely go back there again!

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked how many ships are in port on Jan 21 when we will be in Port.

FIVE: over 15,000 pax.

We are doing the 10:30 ATV tour with the intention of having them drop us off at Money Bar on the way back. Expect to be there between 12:00 and 12:30

The plan is to have lunch and cool off/get rinced off with DH, (non swimmer who "puddles") then go for a snorkel while he takes a nap and relaxes in the shade.

Has anyone been to Money bar when it is a crowded port day with a lot of ships? I am wondering what the chances will be it will be very crowded..or not, so we can plan to alter our plan if need be. To just an hour or so swim/snorkel and head back to the ship for a late lunch.

Do they have a lot of tables/lounge chairs? How is the food service on a busy day..if it is slow we will just order a drink at the bar and skip the food.

Any feedback from those who have been there when there are 5 ships in port would be really appreciated.

Just need to know what to expect. (potentially)

Have been to both.

Good, not great, shore snorkeling from Money bar with a dive shop. Food is great but there is no sandy beach. I had a great encounter with a spotted eagle ray for about 3 minutes down the shore to the right, about a quarter mile, that made the day one of the best ever.

Plya Palancar is a very relaxing quiet beach with great food as well. There is NO beach snorkeling here at all, but there is a dive shop that will bring you out to Palancar reef.

Next time I will go back to Palancar for a relaxing beach day and use the dive shop for their snorkeling excursion.

I've been to Palancar and loved it. Thinking of taking the boat to the reef.

Do you know what the charge is? Do you have to reserve in advance? Can you see anything from the boat if someone doesn't want to snorkel?

I know they offer packages but I just want to see the one reef....

We are going to Playa Palancar next week from the Brilliance and I had e-mailed them about prices. Doesn't look like you have to reserve in advance, we didn't. I doubt someone riding in the boat could see any of the reef, it would have to be a glass bottom boat (pretty sure it is not). Here is what they sent me:

Hello

Come to visit to our we offer to you a snorkeler trip to palancar reef the tour is.

Two reefs visited Colombia and palancar

Time is one hour thirty minutes

Fifteen minutes boat ride to the reef and

Fifteen minutes to back on the beach

One (1) hour of snorkeling tour visiting

Colombia reef for thirty minutes and

Thirty minutes on palancar reef

The cost is adults 35 usd.

Children under 12 years 30 usd

Departures every day

10:00 am. 12:00 am. 2:00 pm.

This includes boat transportation

the lockers are free when they take the tour

Snorkeling equipment, bottle water on board, certified guide

and free fees marine park

at the end of the tour, free kayak for thirty minute and

We photograph on the tour for your memories and videos

35 dlls per disc.

jet skis 55 dlls we have for your family

restaurant, bar, massage, shopping for souvenirs, Molock (10% off on you purchase ) hammocks, towels

parachute , we give to you on 55 dlls per person