What's your favorite thing to do in Grand Cayman?

micmacmissy

Georgetown, Grand Cayman

If you arrive by ship, you will likely anchor offshore and tender in to this port. We walked around the pier shops awaiting our privately arranged Sting Ray City / Coral Gardens tour with Native Way at noon. There were 13 folks on our tour. We boarded a small van which took us to a boat awaiting us at the Yacht Club. Our boat could comfortably hold 50 people. It took about 20 minutes to motor out to the Coral Gardens reef where we donned mask, snorkel, fins and optional snorkel vests (which made my wife very happy). The snorkel vests provide buoyancy and can be inflated to a level that is comfortable for you. There were no lack of pretty fish here. We then motored 5 minutes out to Sting Ray City, a sandbar in the ocean where the water is only 4-feet deep. Even though the place was crowded, we had a great time. Stingrays with 2-to-4 foot wingspans were in abundance and very tame. Boat captains were catching them and passing them around for everyone to view and hold. Plenty of squid was available for feeding. We were happy to have been on a private tour. Some double-decker boats were absolutely jam-packed with passengers. Squeals pierced the air every time a stingray glided a wing against someone's leg. We spent about 1.5 hours between the two locations. Plenty of time. It was a very memorable and fun experience. Highly recommended! Upon our return we were driven back into town where we spent some more time shopping.

Frankly, we did this twice too!

We're looking to do it a third time, but include a little sightseeing or beach time so we're looking at NativeWay's Reef and Rum Point tour.

• 3 months later...

We did the submarine which is stationed near the dock. It was OK, pretty pricey. The problem is you are not guaranteed to see a lot of underwater marine life. The side of the sub you sit on makes a difference too, either side can be hit or miss.

Later we took a local bus (van) to Pedro St James castle. It was nice, spent about two hours there. Check reviews on TripAdvisor to see if it would be your kind of place.

I'll be doing Stingray City for the 2nd time in January (taking someone who's never been before). If I make it back to GC a 3rd time I would probably do a beach day at Seven Mile.

I need to win the lotto so I can just buy a place down there!!!!