Do you take your own snorkeling gear?

goldgirl2

We will be doing a snorkel excursion and the thought of putting my mouth on something that was used by others does not sit well with me. I don't really trust the cleaning technique or lack of it. Where can I purchase snorkel gear for a reasonable price?

The odd thing is that most places resell through Amazon. I bought gear for my daughter through Amazon, but places like Leisure Pro (who sell through Amazon) are good too.

Just remember that the combo packages will have good prices on the low end, but the quality may not be as good as you can get buying separately (mainly an issue with masks). I recommend masks that have metal pins that hold the strap to the mask, and use glass rather than plastic for the lenses. You can find decently priced masks that include these features. Purge valves on a mask are nice too, but mainly for scuba.

Remember that new glass masks typically have a film on the inside that is difficult to remove. This film prevents just about any anti-fogging agent from working, so remove it. Burning it off is the easiest way to do so.

You can find good quality equipment at any sporting goods store. However, I had problems getting the cheaper masks to fit correctly so I ended up going to a store specializing in SCUBA gear.

If space is an issue, consider just bringing a snorkel and possibly a mask, and use their fins. Especially if the cost of gear rental is built into the price of the excursion.

Most sporting goods stores carry them at least seasonally or order off the internet. We carry our own vests, snorkels and swim fins (shorter fins). This way we can snorkel off of any beach anywhere. When we book a snorkel excursion we take our stuff. Snorkel alone will be around $30.

I agree - who knows where it has been....

We have a Bargain liquidator place in town that gets AWESOME goodies. Have to check it over, sometimes things are broken. (Still, I found my mermaid fin flipper there for $2.50 and bought a replacement ankle strap on Amazon for $9!)

Anyway that's where I go for all my goggles and mask sets. You have to sort through them, but they are the same brands that Dicks sells for $69. (I know..because one year, that's what I spent on it...)

I ditch the snorkel now, I hate biting on that thing. and I've ditched the mask too. It's nothing but a big fluke and goggles for me. (I can pressurize for free diving much easier with just goggles. The goggles are optional, but pretty needed if I want to clearly see my fishy friends or take any photos.) The mermaid tail is definitely not optional. I like the power I can get with it. I gave my single flipper sets to my friends.

Always bring your own set. I'd rather pack more or have less shoes then have their leaky stuff that is I don't know how well sanitized.... Also certain places will charge $25 to rent gear, but if you bring your own, you can usually snorkel free.

A note: make sure you pack them safely. I left my goggles in my bag and the sand had scratched those things to smitherings. I had to go back to my store and see what else they had, and I really liked that pair (they were clear so it worked with my tail) but it's my fault for not storing them in their case.

For the casual snorkeler Amazon has some nice set under $40 that come in a travel bag. You may go for the slightly more expensive mask, but I've been good with the snorkel sets I've gotten from Amazon. I got the set below last year when it dropped to under $30 than spent $10 on a better Cressi mask that was normally $40 but had a promo going. I like the wide fins and actually put it on wrong and lost one of the straps. US Diver sent me a new one after I sent a picture of what I needed. Bought 4 sets from Amazon and all have held up well over 5 days of snorkeling. Keep in mind I just snorkel on vacation. Others will probably say spend the $80-$100 on better gear, but I've done fine with the discounted sets from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Divers-Seabreeze-Snorkel-Proflex/dp/B005XYHY66/ref=pd_sim_sg_3

Interestingly, being a generally non-germ-phobic person this never occurred to me... and I was surprised at a water park in Mexico (Xel-ha) that when you rented their snorkel gear, they let you KEEP the snorkel (although you return the mask, fins and vest). Interesting, right?

I have become more germ-aware (still not phobic!) thanks to my daughter who studied public health... consciously try not to touch handrails, elevator buttons... wash hands regularly, open bathroom doors with a tissue or towel... bring Lysol or Clorox wipes to clean light switches, TV remotes, door/drawer handles in the cabin...

We started this hygienic approach thanks to cruising... whenever we would head up or down the (dozen or so) flights of stairs we walked to get various places on a cruise, as we would unconsciously reach out our hands to touch the handrail, one or the other of us would cry out, "Noro!" and we would snatch our hands back, grin, suck in our gut and start walking up or down the stairs using our abs rather than our hands to help us! :)

(For elevator buttons, use the back of your knuckle rather than your fingerpad... keep antibacterial gel in purse or pocket for unavoidable doors, handles, handrails, etc. throughout the day... but what about those floor sales in the Centrum, omigosh, can't even think about the thousands of fingers touching every item!!!!)

As I said, I can't be phobic, I'd never touch ANYTHING -- dinner dishes served to you in the MDR or specialty restaurant or stacked up in the Windjammer have been touched by servers, cooks, dishwashers, etc. -- computers in the computer center -- books in the library -- handrails to the tender boats -- loungers by the pool -- machines in the gym (at least they provide wipes and towels!!) -- sometimes you just gotta forget about it and LIVE!!!

I always take my own mask and snorkel. I hire fins, if they are needed.

I know that my mask will fit my face without leaking and I don't like the thought of using a snorkel that has been in someone else's mouth. I used to hire all the equipment, until I caught the worst sore throat ever, after using a hired snorkel in Fiji.

Thanks for the link to amazon. I will look there. I live in Michigan and I am only finding cheap stuff for kids. I'm a little late in the season as the stores have switched to winter merchandise. Although it is 95 here today!

Snorkel gear is one thing that I think you need to try on before you buy! Not all masks are made the same, not all fins fit properly. Going to a local sporting goods store and trying on some of the brands is certainly worth it. Maybe even a dive shop. Being uncomfortable with a mask that is too tight and doesn't fit properly on your face can ruin the whole snorkeling excursion.

We do bring our own IF we have room in our luggage or in my DH backpack! Hope you find something good for you and the family.:D

I've carried my own gear for years, shorty wetsuit, fins, mask and snorkel. Most important thing is your mask and how it fits. I would suggest going to a dive shop where they know how to fit a mask and try several on, see what fits you the best. Then you can check for the one(s) you want on the internet and get your best price. After seeing how most companies clean their gear I'd NEVER use a rental snorkel or mask.

We will be doing a snorkel excursion and the thought of putting my mouth on something that was used by others does not sit well with me. I don't really trust the cleaning technique or lack of it. Where can I purchase snorkel gear for a reasonable price?

We purchased really good snorkel gear from a dive store. Cheap stuff is just that, cheap - masks/snorkels will leak. Also bought the blow up life jackets so that we have our own. I am with you, wanted my own stuff but wanted good stuff so I did not have to worry about constantly getting water in my mask. JMO, but with snorkel gear, you really do get what you pay for. If you plan to snorkel a lot in the future, I would go for the good quality stuff rather than walmart/sam's club quality.

any fairly recent Coco Cay visitors

if I bring my own MFS, do they require a snorkel vest and if so what does it cost (I know DCL requires but they are free) Altho I've been to Coco b4 I never snorkeled!! I tried to SCUBA but we got weathered out. Got cool after that and we never ventured out to snorkel so I do not remember what the rules were.

I see that their 'snorkel excursion' is a big name for renting gear ... question is, can I rent (do I need to rent) JUST the vest?????

Jumped on the super cheap rates since we live 30 minutes from the port . . . trying to minimize what I carry.

If you'd like to bring fins with you, there are several brands of "short" fins on the market today designed for swimmers but work very well for snorkeling as well. Finis Zoomers is one of the brands. They look like this. Tuck nicely into luggage!

1267-206-T.jpg

I bought a set for my DD last Christmas. I did it because I was tired of blisters from fins that didn't fit right or had been "rental abused".

The set has its own bag and we took it on both trips this year (flew once; drove the other time).

We are actually considering picking up vests if I see a good deal

Archived