Packing help, please, two-week cruise

DeckLife

This is my first post as a new Cruise Critic member. I've been eagerly reading the Daily Spreadsheet thread and others about what to bring along. We are flying out Friday for a two-week repositioning cruise on Disney, LA to Galveston. This is our second cruise (the first was on Carnival).

I've got my clothes picked out, but would like some input. Things to note:

1. I wear mostly linen and gauze because I am very hot-natured.

2. I sweat a lot, so tops can be worn only once before washing is needed. (Exception: A top worn at dinner might be worn on an excursion if I think the top won't be permanently ruined by sunscreen.)

3. I have no true formalwear. I plan to wear a linen dress and jacket combo, dressed up by crystal beads on the buttons, nice costume jewelry and a very nice dressy purse. I plan to wear the dress again with different coverup for a semiformal night. The second "formal" outfit is black pants with dressy red scarf and a statement zebra print scarf/coverup. The second semiformal outfit will be black pants with sheer lace blouse with undertank.

We check our bags, and my carryon will be just medicine, camera, travel pillow, some jewelry and book. (I can't carry much.)

Below is my list of wearable items. I am thinking I should cut out some things, but I'm not sure what. I have included what I'm wearing on our flight day. Opinions are welcome.

---

3 cargo crops (white, black, neutral)

3 long pants (black, brown can be dressed up, khaki for travel day)

1 crop legging -black

5 linen shells (all go with all pants)

3 other sleeveless tops (1 for travel day)

1 sheer sleeveless blouse and matching knit tank

1 sheer lace long sleeve top (wear with offwhite undertank)

2 long tops (wear with leggings)

3 tops with sleeves, gauze white, coral, blue

2 excursion tops

2 excursion shorts

2 bathing suits

1 tank dress for bathing suit coverup

1 dressy red top (formal night), wear with black pants

1 dress for formal night

1 jacket for formal night

6 sheer dressy colorful coverups for dinner (ruana, poncho, silk aqua vest, aqua animal print "jacket", sheer scarf vest, sheer animal print duster)

1 white linen short collarless jacket

4 undertanks offwhite, blue, red, black

3 pairs shoes (dressiest is comfort sandals in platinum); can bring low wedge heel in white

1 nightgown

bras, panties

5 pairs socks (4 excursions, travel day)

1 sweater (travel day)

1 very dressy purse, 1 night-out purse

several scarves

jewelry

Thanks!

Rethink you packing.

Since you already know you are going to do laundry do not pack for two weeks, pack for one. We pack for four or five nights and repeat. Are you handwashing or having the ship launder for you? Be warned that the ships usually wash and dry on hot. Clothes are put through a mangle to dry and lightly press.

Do you really need the formal dress and jacket? Can bring another top to wear with the pants? Or forgo the fancy pants and just wear the dress (accessorized differenty) for four nights?

Could you get rid of one crop pant and one long pant?

Can the long tops be worn with any of the other pants? If not might want to rethink the leggings and tops or replace a pair of bottoms for the leggings.

Keeping shoes to a minimum is good.

Leave home several of the sheer dressy colorful coverups &/or the jacket.

Do you need two fancy purses? Would the night-out purse work just fine for a dressy purse?

Pack to the size of your suitcase. If it doesn't fit something's got to go.

Makes no difference how many times I have packed for a cruise or vacation, there is always something I wish I brought and somethings I never wear.

We check our bags, and my carryon will be just medicine, camera, travel pillow, some jewelry and book. (I can't carry much.)

I strongly advise you to pack a change of clothes in your carry-on (underwear, top, pants) in case your checked bags get lost. I've seen it happen on a trip where one woman in our group did not pack a change of clothes in her carry-on, and had to spend 3 days wearing the same clothes while waiting for her checked bags to catch up with her.

Arusha - Yikes! I hadn't thought about that. Good idea, indeed.

SadieN - Thanks for your suggestions. You're right about the purses. I'm going to stick with the very dressy one because that's the one thing that will make my ordinary shift dress into something not embarrassing for formal night. I have become concerned in the last week of reading that Disney "formal night" is taken seriously.

I think you're right about the leggings to do without them or one pair of crop pants. I will be revisiting my collection of sheer covers to see what to eliminate. They don't take up much space but I have gone overboard worrying about being appropriately dressed up. Thanks for these ideas.

I doubt I will be doing laundry beyond sink-washing undies and bras, but it's possible we'll have to hit the self-service laundry. Thanks for letting me know about the HOT water used for ship-done laundry.

A question. The sweater I'm wearing for travel has elbow-length sleeves; will I be sorry not to have something with long sleeves?

Check the weather reports.

I typically travel with cardigans that have 3/4 length sleeves. But I am rarely cold.

A theory to go by is don't wear something just for you travel days but to be able to incorporate them into your everyday travel wardrobe.

Don't fret too much and have a wonderful cruise!

I found just the opposite of what you heard about formal night. Maybe the repositioning cruises are different from the Caribbean. I found only about 1/4 of the people very formal (tuxes/long dresses). About half were in suits/semi-formals or LBD and the rest were casual (sun dresses, some men with ties/jackets, some not).

I like your colorful cover-ups and it sounds like each could be worn twice.

I don't know what the washing machines are like on the Wonder but on the Fantasy they have European machines. You only had a choice between 30C or 40C. We didn't have any shrinkage but even at 30C that is much warmer than I wash my clothes at home.

As to cardigans, I am cold-natured and always take/need at least one long-sleeved sweater and probably a light jacket too. With 3/4 sleeves, or elbow length, I would be cold at times.

I think you are probably over-thinking and over packing; also worrying too much about formal night. You will be just fine in a simple dress or slacks and top with accessories; though there will be long gowns, cocktail wear and just dressy is more the norm. That seems like a lot of cover-ups, but fine if you like them and have room.

For a two week cruise I like to pack for 5-7 days and repeat. I hand wash exercise clothes and undies, do a couple of loads of clothes mid-cruise, if the ship has self-service laundries or use the 'stuff the bag' special if it doesn't.

I wouldn't want leggings and all those long sleeved tops, but that's just me; I think they are hot. I assume you are going through the canal, which is usually very hot; A day or two out of LA and then into Galveston can be cool, though.

This is my first post as a new Cruise Critic member. I've been eagerly reading the Daily Spreadsheet thread and others about what to bring along. We are flying out Friday for a two-week repositioning cruise on Disney, LA to Galveston. This is our second cruise (the first was on Carnival).

I've got my clothes picked out, but would like some input. Things to note:

1. I wear mostly linen and gauze because I am very hot-natured.

2. I sweat a lot, so tops can be worn only once before washing is needed. (Exception: A top worn at dinner might be worn on an excursion if I think the top won't be permanently ruined by sunscreen.)

3. I have no true formalwear. I plan to wear a linen dress and jacket combo, dressed up by crystal beads on the buttons, nice costume jewelry and a very nice dressy purse. I plan to wear the dress again with different coverup for a semiformal night. The second "formal" outfit is black pants with dressy red scarf and a statement zebra print scarf/coverup. The second semiformal outfit will be black pants with sheer lace blouse with undertank.

Below is my list of wearable items. I am thinking I should cut out some things, but I'm not sure what. I have included what I'm wearing on our flight day. Opinions are welcome.

---

3 cargo crops (white, black, neutral)

3 long pants (black, brown can be dressed up, khaki for travel day)

1 crop legging -black

5 linen shells (all go with all pants)

3 other sleeveless tops (1 for travel day)

2 long tops (wear with leggings)

3 tops with sleeves, gauze white, coral, blue

2 excursion tops

2 excursion shorts

2 bathing suits

1 dress for formal night

6 sheer dressy colorful coverups for dinner (ruana, poncho, silk aqua vest, aqua animal print "jacket", sheer scarf vest, sheer animal print duster)

1 white linen short collarless jacket

4 undertanks offwhite, blue, red, black

3 pairs shoes (dressiest is comfort sandals in platinum); can bring low wedge heel in white

1 nightgown

bras, panties

5 pairs socks (4 excursions, travel day)

1 sweater (travel day)

1 very dressy purse, 1 night-out purse

several scarves

jewelry

Thanks!

Decklife, we have got to be related. This is exactly my clothes list for my B2B 14 day cruise at Christmas. minus the 5 pair of socks, 1 will do, and purses.

I to, do that layered thing with pant, shell and pretty cover/throw/scarfy top thing over. I do loads of linen and rayon materials also.

Your list looks great to me, most things will pack very small. Sheer tops, etc. I don't do dresses, I'd do dressy top with the standard black pant.

Anyway, If your flying, wear a few layers, and your heaviest shoes. I am so glad I drive to ports, I can take all this. If there's room in our largest suitcase, I will add DH's stuff, if not, we take the next size suitcase for his stuff. lol Have a great cruise!

p.s. I don't think anyone carries a purse, especially on Formal night.

I'd ditch the long tops and leggings, but thats just me. Hopefully you have a ship with a laundry room, you might need to freshen up a few things mid trip, but not many.

I am going on my first "longer" cruise this fall. I am planning on 1 suitcase + carry-on per person. I am doing what those above suggested and packing for 5-7 days. You seem to have A LOT of tops packed. I don't think you need quite so many.

I haven't been on Disney since it was the "Big Red Boat", but on the other cruise lines, you will see a broad spectrum of formal night fashion on ladies, from sundresses to evening gowns. If you are comfortable being on the slightly more casual side of this spectrum, you are fine! Enjoy!

I have taken one Disney Cruise but it was 14 nights. Formal night was nowhere near as formal as HAL or Princess. I wouldn't have all those iterations of dress/pants for formal and semi-formal.

I think you have too many tops overall and too many long pants (given that you've got all those crops), but if you're happy, take them. (I'm a proud member of the "I Like My Stuff" club, and I'd rather have stuff than not.)

You can use the washers and dryers on board and charge the cost to your KTTW card, which makes it easier than carrying a bunch of quarters around.

My "long-sleeve" tops are actually three-quarter-sleeve gauze.

I have realized that if I plan not to do laundry I need more than 1 nightgown!

The "I Like My Stuff" club - love that phrase. Definitely a member. And I want more.:D

I'm working on filling my gigantic rolling bag now using bundle packing and am doing a separate bundle of the long tops and leggings and one pair of crops. We'll see if that fits. I've got to think about the sweater. I love that sweater; it's a two-way sweater that when you wear upside down makes a knee-length topper. Worn the regular way, there's a lot of material around the neck, which will be great against air conditioning chills. It's bulky to pack. Maybe a pashmina would fit. Ha ha.

Thanks to all for the input!

This is what I would pare it down to:

2 cargo crops (black, neutral)

2 long pants (black, khaki)

1 crop legging -black

3 linen shells (all go with all pants)

2 other sleeveless tops

1 long top (wear with leggings)

1 top with sleeves, gauze white, coral, blue

2 excursion tops

2 excursion shorts

1 bathing suit

1 dress for formal night

[reduce the cover ups to two]

2 undertanks offwhite, red

3 pairs shoes (dressiest is comfort sandals in platinum)

1 nightgown

bras, panties

3 pairs socks

1 sweater (travel day)

1 very dressy purse

several scarves

jewelry

In my opinion you need about half the clothes you are planning on bringing. Even the list above has too many tops.

So far, it appears I will have space left over. That's probably a false reading of the situation, but it appears my gigantic bag will be quite sufficient for a 33-day cruise next year. Maybe I'll bring out a smaller bag to pack.:rolleyes:

Ducklite, thanks for your detailed edit!

First, welcome to Cruise Critic!!!

I like Ducklite's list. I would go with that first. Then, if you have extra room and feel "in the mood", start adding the leftovers. Remember - just because you have a big bag with room, you don't have to fill it ;)

If you want, a Pashmina would be a nice thing to take with you on your flight to/from your cruise. Usually, they are pretty lightweight and can do double-duty to keep you cozy warm on the flight. An easy way to have an option onboard to take off the chill.

My "long-sleeve" tops are actually three-quarter-sleeve gauze.

I have realized that if I plan not to do laundry I need more than 1 nightgown!

The "I Like My Stuff" club - love that phrase. Definitely a member. And I want more.:D

I'm working on filling my gigantic rolling bag now using bundle packing and am doing a separate bundle of the long tops and leggings and one pair of crops. We'll see if that fits. I've got to think about the sweater. I love that sweater; it's a two-way sweater that when you wear upside down makes a knee-length topper. Worn the regular way, there's a lot of material around the neck, which will be great against air conditioning chills. It's bulky to pack. Maybe a pashmina would fit. Ha ha.

Thanks to all for the input!

Now you've done it, I have got to see a photo of that sweater. Sounds right up my alley.;)

Archived