White Capris/Cropped Pants in California in Late October?

momofmeg

Sonoma also has micro-climates. It's usually hotter up valley than down valley. I was there this past July and it was just into the 80's, but in October 60's would not be unusual. The weather in San Francisco is in no way indicative if the weather in Sonoma.

So be prepared for whatever. I am used to that-lol! living in GA and since this cruise is Princess, it will be easy for me to wash everything up on ship in the self service laundry,without needing to pack a mountain of clothing.

So be prepared for whatever. I am used to that-lol! living in GA and since this cruise is Princess, it will be easy for me to wash everything up on ship in the self service laundry,without needing to pack a mountain of clothing.

Keep in mind that the west coast typically doesn't get the humidity that we get here on the east coast, so 70 there feels more like mid to upper 60's here.

Santa Barbara native here. Your crop pants in white will be fine here in mid October; fall brings cool evenings but plenty of sunshine. We are casual in dress and some folks wear shorts pretty much year round. San Francisco has a much different climate-- cooler, foggier-- and the folks there dress differently--darker colors, more urban wear, jackets and hats.

Weather wise, if I were to choose to have an outdoor wedding in Santa Barbara, I would pick October rather than the "June Gloom" we get in early summer!

I agree with sail7seas: it's the temperature that determines what I wear.

I also live in the Central CA Valley area, and we most likely won't see under 80 degrees for another 1 - 2 months. Right now it's about 10:30 AM and it's 88 degrees outside. Rule of thumb where I live is add 10 degrees to 10AM, and you've got the high temp for the day. So, my white pants might go until November.

I gave up long ago trying to figure out capri/crop, etc. lengths. I am 5'7" with a long waist length, and long legs. I have what I call capris that go anywhere from just below the knees to 4 inches above the ankle. But, on me that 4 inches above is just at the beginning of my calf, where shorter legged women it would be just above the ankle.

I remember back in the 60's that capris were the Mary Tyler Moore style of pants she wore on the TV show she was on. They were just above the ankle. Now, they are much shorter.

I've lived in the SF Bay area 30 years (also have lived in Santa Barbara and LA.) Some of the nicest, sunniest, warmest days I have spent in San Francisco have been in the 2nd and 3rd week of October. You just never know. And the weather often changes quickly when the afternoon fog rolls in.

Keep checking the weather. Nevertheless, I don't wear white pants in October--and I live in warmer Silicon Valley. It just doesn't feel right to me. The old "rules" don't apply anymore, but there is something about summery clothes when the trees are turning fall colors that isn't harmonious to me. Others disagree--I won't judge anyone on this issue.

Lois is right. It may be cooler in San Francisco in October.

Just giving you a guys opinion but I know my wife wouldn't wear much white off the ship if you are out and about and it has more to do with not getting them so dirty.

When we are in San Francisco in October we'll likely be in blue jeans or she'll have some type of capri pant on but likely on the darker end for the reason I mentioned. It will likely be in the 50's/60's that day but yes weather is weather and it could be warmer. It may also be rainy as October is the start of the rainy season there.

Keith

Lois is right. It may be cooler in San Francisco in October.

Just giving you a guys opinion but I know my wife wouldn't wear much white off the ship if you are out and about and it has more to do with not getting them so dirty.

When we are in San Francisco in October we'll likely be in blue jeans or she'll have some type of capri pant on but likely on the darker end for the reason I mentioned. It will likely be in the 50's/60's that day but yes weather is weather and it could be warmer. It may also be rainy as October is the start of the rainy season there.

Keith

Keith, the ship leaves out of SF, but I am also spending 2 days in Sonoma post cruise where I have been told it can be 30 degrees warmer than SF. I may not wear white, but I will have a pair of capris or some light weight slacks for just in case. I will have a jacket too. I plan to be covered for whatever.

I am packing one pair of white cropped pants, I will wear them in LA, or San Diego, or Ensenada while on the cruise. The native Californians say it will be fine for southern CA. I figured that, that southern CA would be more like Florida where they do it. I also figured white slacks not so good for SF.

Thanks to all of you for confirming it for me.

Archived