White Capris/Cropped Pants in California in Late October?

momofmeg

I have several pairs of whit capris/cropped pants. I hate to go out and buy all new stuff just for a cruise. I understand even in San Francisco it can still be quite warm then.

Is it considered a no-no the way it is here in the south? Would they be fine for southern California and Mexico but not SF and Santa Barbara the way it is okay in Florida but not Georgia?

Opinions please.

Hi:) maybe I am wrong, but having been to San Francisco a few times

over the years? I don't consider it to be warm in October at all.

I always think of the Mark Twain quote.........

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco".

Southern California and Mexico, yes......but Northern CA? I would bring

the whites but probably use them in the Southern area:)

Hi:) maybe I am wrong, but having been to San Francisco a few times

over the years? I don't consider it to be warm in October at all.

I always think of the Mark Twain quote.........

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco".

Southern California and Mexico, yes......but Northern CA? I would bring

the whites but probably use them in the Southern area:)

My inlaws lived in Pacifica for about 18 months and that is what my MIL said. she said it was never warm enough for her to comfortably wear shorts but that was 30 plus years ago.

Well Kentsike told me that it is much warmer now. Kentiske(lives in SF) said they had temps over 100 last month and that October was warm enough but shorts there. I had intended to bring mostly slacks until I was told that.

I know it is much warmer here in the Atlanta area than it was 20 plus years ago because of the greenhouse gasses,so I thought maybe that has happened there too.

I think I will stick with a couple of pairs of capris and the rest slacks then-maybe kensitke was pulling my leg?

I dress for the weather....if it's hot, I'll wear white shorts or capris.....in warm climes, white is the color!

I agree that San Fran. probably won't be warm that time of year!

I do too. I had on white slacks yesterday but it was near 90. I usually do not in October though as it is coolish in the evening even if it hot during the day. I am not a dummy you see in shorts in November, I do not think 60 degree days and 45 degree evenings is Shorts weather as you see many doing around here. Heck, this past April was unseasonably cool and so I did not wear any shorts until May although normally we can comfortably wear shorts in late March here.

I try to pack a lot of black and white to mix and match and throw in a couple of bright jewel tone tops to keep it from completely being black and white every day. Maybe I will bring only 1 white pair pants with me. i will forget the capris and just bring the cropped pants.

Southerner who used to live in CA here. I have "followed the rules" all my life about white but did not think they were widely observed when I lived in CA. Unless you plan on the theater or fine dining while ashore, I do not think you will feel out of place in white capris.

Southerner who used to live in CA here. I have "followed the rules" all my life about white but did not think they were widely observed when I lived in CA. Unless you plan on the theater or fine dining while ashore, I do not think you will feel out of place in white capris.

Lol! I just went to weather.com it is 65 degrees today and that is the projected high for when we are there. Nope I will not be wearing white or capris in SF-not warm enough. I have no idea why kentsike said that to me on our roll call.

I do too. I had on white slacks yesterday but it was near 90. I usually do not in October though as it is coolish in the evening even if it hot during the day. I am not a dummy you see in shorts in November, I do not think 60 degree days and 45 degree evenings is Shorts weather as you see many doing around here. Heck, this past April was unseasonably cool and so I did not wear any shorts until May although normally we can comfortably wear shorts in late March here.

I try to pack a lot of black and white to mix and match and throw in a couple of bright jewel tone tops to keep it from completely being black and white every day. Maybe I will bring only 1 white pair pants with me. i will forget the capris and just bring the cropped pants.

Huh? I'm just wondering what the difference is between Capri's and cropped pants? To me, they are the same. Just curious.

Huh? I'm just wondering what the difference is between Capri's and cropped pants? To me, they are the same. Just curious.

I don't know if there is a "rule" as to which is which but I have always thought that pedal pushers were right below the knee. Cropped pants were right above the ankle and capris in between.

It depends on who you talk to. I remember I checked a lot of sites selling cropped pants, capris, pedal pushers, etc. etc. etc. and everyone called a different length "such and such" and it seemed no two called the same length the same thing.

What I consider cropped pants are about 4 inches above the ankle-capris hit like right below the knee to mid calve. Of course right below the knee used to be called pedal pushers. Maybe I mean ankle pants not cropped pants?

I don't know if there is a "rule" as to which is which but I have always thought that pedal pushers were right below the knee. Cropped pants were right above the ankle and capris in between.

In my mind that is true but if you check catalogs that sell clothing, (Sears. Penneys, Newport news etc.) they all call them differently. When I was a kid pedal pushers were right below the knee. At the knee were Bermuda shorts, and a couple inches higher were Jamaica shorts. Anything shorter were "short shorts" later called "hot pants" when I was a teen. Mom only allowed me to were Jamaica length or longer so I used to roll mine up-lol! out of her sight.

However I am 59 now, and terms have changed.

We live in Central CA and I am still wearing white cropped pants...my favorite color...it feels cool and summery and goes with everything. I personally don't follow the white after Labor Day rule...and will probably wear them in October but not after that. We don't even get fall or winter weather until mid October and often still wear cropped pants into November...we have a very short winter here...so East Coast fashion rules don't work very well here.

We live in Central CA and I am still wearing white cropped pants...my favorite color...it feels cool and summery and goes with everything. I personally don't follow the white after Labor Day rule...and will probably wear them in October but not after that. We don't even get fall or winter weather until mid October and often still wear cropped pants into November...we have a very short winter here...so East Coast fashion rules don't work very well here.

Entirely appropriate and even necessary for central CA but for the Bay Area in Oct, probably not....in my humble opinion. It also depends on what you will be doing in San Francisco but slacks or crops in daeker colors will probably be more appropriate. It is very rare for it to be over 100 in San Francisco....maybe further inland but not in the City or other adjoining areas. Many there do not have air conditioning so even temps of 85 are a problem for many residents. Southern CA is entirely different and many wear "summer clothes" year round. No matter what, be sure you have a light jacket or sweater for evenings.

From everything I have ever read/seen about them.....Capri's are shorter

in the length. Cropped pants are a longer length.

Please excuse me for butting in - but wouldn't the length of the pants depend on how tall you are, especially how long your legs are ?

Pants just below the knee on someone who is 5'10" would be at least mid-calf (or longer) on a "shortie" like me !!!

Most tall women buy tall sizes which like petite sizes are cut proportionately.

That area from Modesto to Frwsno is typically 20 degrees or more warmer than the Bay Area. Last year I was in Modesto for a meeting and it was 104 when I left around noon. I went to Hayward for another meeting and it was 84 around 3:00 pm. I then went to dinner in Halfmoon Bay where it was 52 at 6:30 pm. The micro-climates in that area are crazy.

That area from Modesto to Frwsno is typically 20 degrees or more warmer than the Bay Area. Last year I was in Modesto for a meeting and it was 104 when I left around noon. I went to Hayward for another meeting and it was 84 around 3:00 pm. I then went to dinner in Halfmoon Bay where it was 52 at 6:30 pm. The micro-climates in that area are crazy.

Okay that is what I was told. Several on my roll call live in the area. We are spending 2 days in Sonoma Valley. So I will make sure I have a pair of capris if I need them.

Sonoma also has micro-climates. It's usually hotter up valley than down valley. I was there this past July and it was just into the 80's, but in October 60's would not be unusual. The weather in San Francisco is in no way indicative if the weather in Sonoma.

Please excuse me for butting in - but wouldn't the length of the pants depend on how tall you are, especially how long your legs are ?

Pants just below the knee on someone who is 5'10" would be at least mid-calf (or longer) on a "shortie" like me !!!

You would think that, but my hubby is 6 feet tall but our legs are almost the same length, mine are maybe 2 inches shorter. I am 5' 4 and half"". Needless to say he is long waisted. My daughter is built just like him although she is on the short side. Even petites have to be hemmed up for her. She buys a lot of capris and they are cropped/ankle pants on her. She can wear cropped pants to work but not capri length.

There are lengths in petite, regular, and tall, but also how we are built even whatever our height is can make a difference where such and such hits on 2 people the same height.

So yes, you are somewhat correct.

Archived