How much can I trust HA?

wags

I am booking a holiday cruise with HA and am a little nervous. As a senior lady traveling alone I've decided to place all my reservations in their hands. They are booking my cruise, air, transfers and one night stay in Ft. Lauderdale. I am buying their Platinum Protection Plan and they assure me I will be able to cancel everything up to 24 hours before the cruise for a 90% credit card refund.. If you've had good or bad experiences with HA's services please let me know. I don't want to make a big mistake. Thank you.

When I first started cruising (before finding cruise critic) I had the cruise line make all the arrangements. I liked all the service they provided, but did not like the way they set up the flights. 3 stops from Los Angeles to Vancouver for an Alaska cruise.

But they met us at baggage claim, loaded our luggage in the bus, took us to the hotel etc. Never a want for anything.

Never use the insurance so cannot comment on that part of your question.

The bad about the Platinum Coverage is it only pays $10,000 in medical coverage. That policy is a cancellation policy not a travel insurance. If you are on Medicare, you may wish to consider that it does not pay out of the country should you have an accident or become ill. The $10,000 would not go very far. No one should travel without having medical that pays outside their home country IMO as well as emergency evacuation.

As to HAL booking the cruise and hotel for you, that should be fine. The air is almost always whatever flight they get for the lowest price. They promise to get you there but not necessarily on the most convenient schedule or non-stop. If they can book something for less money that has two stops or leaves at an inconvenient time, they will.

We have had to cancel a cruise using the Platinum coverage. It was done promptly, easily and with no problems at all.

I think you are in good hands with HAL doing it all. We have found them to be courteous and helpful in the extreme anytime we have had a problem of any kind.

do cruise lines allow you to make "air deviation" plans? i.e. pay a sur-charge for a non-stop, or direct flight?

Yes, HAL allows for air deviation where you can (usually) pick the flights of your choice. There is a fee unless you are a high enough Star Mariner and the fee is waived.

I can understand the ease and comfort of having HAL make all the arrangements. I don't do that because I enjoy doing the research and putting the pieces together myself. If you are more comfortable with having someone else do it (be it HAL or a travel agent), then I would definitely go that route.

You can probably do better on the travel insurance, however. We don't ever buy the cruise line insurance. There are online websites where you can obtain quotes from multiple carriers, and compare them side by side. If you went with a travel agent for all your arrangement, they too could probably obtain better insurance than the cruise line.

I do not let any cruise line book my air nor do I book hotels through the cruise line. I do that myself online.

As for the Protection Plan -- we have already had to use it one time -- had to cancel 3 days before the cruise. 90% went back to our credit card right away. All our pre-booked reservations for specialty restaurants and excursions were automatically cancelled and we got that money back right away as well.

I am booking a holiday cruise with HA and am a little nervous. As a senior lady traveling alone I've decided to place all my reservations in their hands. They are booking my cruise, air, transfers and one night stay in Ft. Lauderdale. I am buying their Platinum Protection Plan and they assure me I will be able to cancel everything up to 24 hours before the cruise for a 90% credit card refund.. If you've had good or bad experiences with HA's services please let me know. I don't want to make a big mistake. Thank you.

We have had no problems ever with HAL not honoring their obligations. But you are choosing sea travel and no one can guarantee everything will be perfect as planned ahead of time. I hope you have a wonderful time like virtually 99% of HAL passengers end up experiencing.

Yes, HAL allows for air deviation where you can (usually) pick the flights of your choice. There is a fee unless you are a high enough Star Mariner and the fee is waived.

As to HAL booking the cruise and hotel for you, that should be fine. The air is almost always whatever flight they get for the lowest price. They promise to get you there but not necessarily on the most convenient schedule or non-stop. If they can book something for less money that has two stops or leaves at an inconvenient time, they will.

You are the expert, sail7seas, but I thought Holland America's Flight Ease program let you choose your preferred flights without deviation fees.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Simple.action?requestPage=FlightEase

Thank you all for your input. I am going with the HAL Platinum Plan because they have a "Cancel for any reason" policy and, as I've said, they will give a 90% credit card refund not a future cruise credit. I have not found any other insurance that will do that for the low price HAL is charging a "really senior" client. The RT air they have booked for me are mid-day one-stop in ATL flights. The layovers in each direction will be only about 1 to 2 hours within the same terminal. On disembarkation morning my flight leaves FLL at 11:45AM so no long wait at the airport. Also, the fare is about $200.00 less than if I booked it myself. I am satisfied with the HAL air arrangements. I am on Medicare and know I cannot use it outside the states but, with the cancellation policy, I will take my chances on $10,000.00 and hope I don't have to use it! If anyone has used HAL for the air arrangements would you please tell me how the seat selection process works. Does HAL only have certain seats at their disposal or can they assign any seat?

.....If anyone has used HAL for the air arrangements would you please tell me how the seat selection process works. Does HAL only have certain seats at their disposal or can they assign any seat?

I don't know, but my guess would be once you get your air ticket info, seat assignments then become an operation between you and the airlines directly on their online websites.

At least that is how it has worked when we go through an indirect air ticket consolidator - once we get our booking number and/or e-ticket number we go directly to the airline we are using and pick our seats.

You are the expert, sail7seas, but I thought Holland America's Flight Ease program let you choose your preferred flights without deviation fees.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Simple.action?requestPage=FlightEase

Whogo you are correct. This is something fairly new, but HAL no longer charges deviation fees. You choose your preferred flights, and the price we paid through HAL was exactly the same as the airline's website. You choose your flights and get the price on booking HOWEVER that price is not locked in until you make final payment. Not final payment date, but when you actually pay. If it's a good price, you might want to pay in full to lock it in. We were able to choose our seats at that time as well.

Thank you all for your input. I am going with the HAL Platinum Plan because they have a "Cancel for any reason" policy and, as I've said, they will give a 90% credit card refund not a future cruise credit. I have not found any other insurance that will do that for the low price HAL is charging a "really senior" client. The RT air they have booked for me are mid-day one-stop in ATL flights. The layovers in each direction will be only about 1 to 2 hours within the same terminal. On disembarkation morning my flight leaves FLL at 11:45AM so no long wait at the airport. Also, the fare is about $200.00 less than if I booked it myself. I am satisfied with the HAL air arrangements. I am on Medicare and know I cannot use it outside the states but, with the cancellation policy, I will take my chances on $10,000.00 and hope I don't have to use it! If anyone has used HAL for the air arrangements would you please tell me how the seat selection process works. Does HAL only have certain seats at their disposal or can they assign any seat?

Sounds like you are pleased, and that is what is important.

On the insurance, over on the Travel Insurance forum here on CC, it has been mentioned that for "really senior" ;) travelers, the cruise line insurance can be less expensive than that quoted by third party insurers. However, the tradeoff is the lower medical coverage, and only getting 90% refund on a cancellation vs. 100% with most third party insurance.

Once you get your airline confirmation number, you should be able to log on to the airline's website and select (or change) your seat as desired.

Enjoy your cruise!

As Sail has said, HAL's policy is really for cancellation only. If you get sick or require even a one night hospital stay, that $10,000 coverage will be eaten up in a heartbeat. I would add some evacuation and health coverage to what you have since you know Medicare won't cover you out of the country.

Does third party insurance give you a "cancel for any reason" option or must you cancel only for specified reasons?

Yes, some of them let you cancel for any reason. On the policies I usually am comparing on one of the travel insurance websites, it is usually an "add on" option for an additional premium. On some of the "Cadillac" policies, it may be included as part of the base premium... not sure though.

The RT air they have booked for me are mid-day one-stop in ATL flights. The layovers in each direction will be only about 1 to 2 hours within the same terminal.

If I may make a suggestion, based on travelling with my 77 year old mother, you may want to consider arranging for assistance at the airports. It does mean riding in a wheelchair or golf cart, from one gate to the next gate. However, it comes in handy at any new (to you) airport where one doesn't know the best/fastest way to get to one's next gate. If one has to go through customs and immigration, they assist with that. I now book it for almost every flight we have (unless it is non stop) for my mother, particularly when we have a tight connection and a large foreign airport.

Otherwise I think you'll be fine. We have booked our pre/post-cruise tours/hotels with HAL without any incident. It can be more expensive but it is very nice having them meet you right at the baggage claim in the airport and take you to your hotel, particularly in a foreign country where you don't know the language.

As my mother says, she just wants to be taken care of. I grumble at the cost but have to admit it is very nice.

Maybe this is your time to be taken care of by HAL.

Whogo you are correct. This is something fairly new, but HAL no longer charges deviation fees. You choose your preferred flights, and the price we paid through HAL was exactly the same as the airline's website. You choose your flights and get the price on booking HOWEVER that price is not locked in until you make final payment. Not final payment date, but when you actually pay. If it's a good price, you might want to pay in full to lock it in. We were able to choose our seats at that time as well.

Thanks.

Another benefit they gave to Four and Five Star Mariners that now has no value. :D

But, really, I'm happy they are providing air deviations for anyone who wants it. IMO, they should.

Perfect. You'll be fine. Enjoy.

I booked the pre-cruise hotel with HAL and they suggested the Westin but I could have asked for a different one. Any suggestions?

You are right, AlbertaQuilter. I think I would like to be taken care of ,too. Your suggestion about using the airport cart is very helpful. I am older than your Mom and although I can get around fairly well why overdo it. Being transported through the airport with my carry-on bags sounds like a good idea. You take good care of your Mom.

The bad about the Platinum Coverage is it only pays $10,000 in medical coverage. That policy is a cancellation policy not a travel insurance. If you are on Medicare, you may wish to consider that it does not pay out of the country should you have an accident or become ill. The $10,000 would not go very far. No one should travel without having medical that pays outside their home country IMO as well as emergency evacuation.

As Sail has said, HAL's policy is really for cancellation only. If you get sick or require even a one night hospital stay, that $10,000 coverage will be eaten up in a heartbeat. I would add some evacuation and health coverage to what you have since you know Medicare won't cover you out of the country.

This information, which is often repeated, is incorrect. HAL has two "policies". The standard plan is cancel coverage only and is just an additional fee you can pay to insure you get (80% I believe) some of your money back if you cancel. The "Platinum" plan is cancel only up to 24 hours before boarding. For a full description see - http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/Holland-America-cruises-CPP_Platinum_Protection_Plan_021313.pdf

Highlights -- $10,000 medical, $50,000 evacuation, trip interruption, lost baggage etc.

This information, which is often repeated, is incorrect. HAL has two "policies". The standard plan is cancel coverage only and is just an additional fee you can pay to insure you get (80% I believe) some of your money back if you cancel. The "Platinum" plan is cancel only up to 24 hours before boarding. For a full description see - http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/Holland-America-cruises-CPP_Platinum_Protection_Plan_021313.pdf

Highlights -- $10,000 medical, $50,000 evacuation, trip interruption, lost baggage etc.

I oft repeat the point that the most medical coverage any HAL policy provides is $10,000 as you state. That does not go very far with a serious injury/illness. One could be faced with a huge uninsured bill they may mistakingly think they had insurance to cover.

I think it important enough to repeat again and again.

Most of us should be able to absorb the price of the trip if we had to cancel or we likely would not have booked it. Also most of us would not wish to have to pay huge medical bills we thought would be covered. That is where the high exposure is...... not cancellation of the trip unless talking world cruise/grand voyage particularly in a high end cabin.

I oft repeat the point that the most medical coverage any HAL policy provides is $10,000 as you state. That does not go very far with a serious injury/illness. One could be faced with a huge uninsured bill they may mistakingly think they had insurance to cover.

I admit that $10,000 in medical coverage might not be enough. However, what I was pointing out was what I highlighted this time. The coverage of the Platinum package is quite a bit more than cancellation. It may not be the medical coverage you prefer, but it is something.

Because of your post count and your cruises on HAL, your word is considered golden. When you state that the Platinum package is cancellation coverage only, many people may disregard a package that might fit their needs.

Archived