Because of the New Smoking Policy I will :  

509 members have voted

1. 1. Because of the New Smoking Policy I will :

• Sail RCCL More Often
    • Still Sail RCCL but not as much
    • Change lines because myself or my friends are smokers
    • Not be affected by the policy and sail as usual
    • smoke anyways and pay the fine

First of all lets get a couple things out of the way.

#1. I dont smoke

#2. I love RCCL

#3. I dont love Their new Smoking Policy

#$ because of my travel mates I will be forced to switch cruise lines.

Now, I am hoping this does not turn into a shouting match like some of the other smoking threads have turned into. I have some questions and thoughts open for discussion. Here is my problem.

Although I dont smoke I have many friends I cruise with that do. There primary complaint is that they dont want to have to get dressed and go find a smoking area of the ship at 5am when they wake up. ( I totally understand that).

Now... Here is the problem. They have basically said that we are going to have to pick a different cruise line becasue they are not willing to give up the Smoking on the balcony thing... so.... Does anyone actually have a proper list of what cruise lines will still let you smoke on the balcony?

Also, it's my understanding that you can still smoke on the RCCL asian cruises (which only makes sense because so so so many asian people smoke, I know this from my travels abroad). so what about europe???

While I think the new policy is not a smart move and probably skipped a couple steps .. (like why not make a few non smoking ships?) but that is not the purpose of my posts and questions.. It's more of a .. what options are left??

I find it encouraging that so far 76% of the people will either cruise RCI more or the new policy will not affect their cruising habits at all. This is probably similar to what RCI was expecting/hoping.

So, in spite of the somewhat heated and sarcastic comments from both sides it still looks like this is a reasonable move on RCI's part (from a business perspective). I guess only time will tell, but I think if this works for RCI (often a trend setter) then other companies may consider it more.

I'm still hoping they relent on the e-cig thing. Maybe we need a poll of people who wouldn't mind e-cigs. It sounds like that would make a lot of smokers less upset with the changes. Certainly smoking an e-cig on a balcony wouldn't bother anyone else.

I find it encouraging that so far 76% of the people will either cruise RCI more or the new policy will not affect their cruising habits at all. This is probably similar to what RCI was expecting/hoping.

So, in spite of the somewhat heated and sarcastic comments from both sides it still looks like this is a reasonable move on RCI's part (from a business perspective). I guess only time will tell, but I think if this works for RCI (often a trend setter) then other companies may consider it more.

I'm still hoping they relent on the e-cig thing. Maybe we need a poll of people who wouldn't mind e-cigs. It sounds like that would make a lot of smokers less upset with the changes. Certainly smoking an e-cig on a balcony wouldn't bother anyone else.

You have to keep things in perspective. CC has 1 million members. There are 14 million cruisers. Then you the members who do not regularly read CC or don't take the poll. I don't know how representative CC is of cruisers as a whole is. This is just a small sampling of a small population.

Sorry...I didn't finish my post when I hit submit!

It obviously is a financially sound move by RCCL or they wouldn't do it. It's not about pleasing anyone. It's about money.

I, too, hope they ease up on the e-cigarette restrictions.

I'm not likely to cruise more OR less with RCI, but I am not likely to cruise more or less (ideally one 7+ day cruise per year, or a couple of weekend Bahamas get aways) with anyone else either. But I would say that there is now an additional incentive to consider spending more on a balcony over an inside room as I would have assurances that it could be enjoyed by not just myself but my wife or anyone else in our party.

So, for the near term, the frequency of my cruising may not go up or down, but it is easier to consider spending more money for the amount of time we do go for more expensive accommodations/features. I have let RCI know the same.

Look at the number of responses..hardly enough for any corporation to consider encouraging. You should ask the competitors how many calls they've gotten. By the way, many that have left/cancelled their cruise, are no longer going to the RCCL site because they've moved on to other cruise lines...AND of course the anti-smokers will answer, and will say they will book more cruises. From a business perspective, time will tell.

I would be careful if I were anyone who went with the last option in the poll. You can't just pay the fine and continue to smoke on your balcony. Repeated occurrences can get you kicked off at the next port of call.

I would take that response as suspect in the first place - probably shouldn't be part of this poll. I can't imaging anyone truly meaning that - even if the intent was "I will still smoke on the balcony and take my chances". $250 is a steep price to pay for sneaking a smoke on a balcony - and you are also correct on the longer term consequences.

I would be careful if I were anyone who went with the last option in the poll. You can't just pay the fine and continue to smoke on your balcony. Repeated occurrences can get you kicked off at the next port of call.

Maybe it will be $250 per occurrence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would take that response as suspect in the first place - probably shouldn't be part of this poll. I can't imaging anyone truly meaning that - even if the intent was "I will still smoke on the balcony and take my chances". $250 is a steep price to pay for sneaking a smoke on a balcony - and you are also correct on the longer term consequences.

I put the last option in the poll because whether we want to belive it or not. There are definitely people that are going to do it. And... They dont care about consequences. We have all been in non smoking hotel rooms that smelled of smoke (despite their published fees for smoking in a non smoking room). There are people that just dont care. And... we all know there will be people who, under dark of night will sneak out on the balcony and smoke. We all know it's going to happen. Here's an even scarier thing. On the royal caribbean blog, a person suggested that royal put video surveliance on everyones entire balcony so they can catch smokers.!!! I know there are exterior cameras, but this idiot was actually suggesting they record all of everyone's balcony all the time. Not sure that was a thought out suggestion.

Good point. I never meant to imply there was anything scientific about this poll by any means. I just find it encouraging that the percentage of people answering are either in favor of, or unaffected by the policy change.

That said, I still feel bad for the smokers. I don't like smoking, but I grew up in a house where both parents smoked and I know how much pleasure they got from it. I still think the e-cig thing would be a nice compromise. Maybe the first and last cigarettes of the day could be the e-cig type and the rest could be in the designated areas. Oh well.

Tom

Look at the number of responses..hardly enough for any corporation to consider encouraging. You should ask the competitors how many calls they've gotten. By the way, many that have left/cancelled their cruise, are no longer going to the RCCL site because they've moved on to other cruise lines...AND of course the anti-smokers will answer, and will say they will book more cruises. From a business perspective, time will tell.

You have to keep things in perspective. CC has 1 million members. There are 14 million cruisers. Then you the members who do not regularly read CC or don't take the poll. I don't know how representative CC is of cruisers as a whole is. This is just a small sampling of a small population.

I have to agree with keeping things in perspective on the polling, I just thought it would be an easy way, at quick glance see who was on what side of the arguement. There are so many factors that cant be considered. For examply "other revenue" if people can smoke, they would gamble longer and drink longer .. If they cant who knows how this could negatively impact the licquer and gambling profits??? Only time will tell. but the poll itself wont prove 100% of anything.. just a snapshot of the current mood. I have already contacted NCL telling them they would get all my bookings if they would match my RCCL status with comparable on their cruise line. But they think about it really hard.

I have to agree with keeping things in perspective on the polling, I just thought it would be an easy way, at quick glance see who was on what side of the arguement. There are so many factors that cant be considered. For examply "other revenue" if people can smoke, they would gamble longer and drink longer .. If they cant who knows how this could negatively impact the licquer and gambling profits??? Only time will tell. but the poll itself wont prove 100% of anything.. just a snapshot of the current mood. I have already contacted NCL telling them they would get all my bookings if they would match my RCCL status with comparable on their cruise line. But they think about it really hard.

NCL's loyalty program is fine, it has substantially different benefits from Royal Caribbean's. You may miss some of your favorite Royal Caribbean perks. If you are able to plan well in advance, book your NCL cruises 9+ months ahead and you will double your points. Book a full suite and get even more bonus points. Book a cruise that is offered as a Latitudes Insider deal, and get more bonus points. Really, you do not need them beg them to match your status, as you will advance quickly if you book and sail smart with them.

My only caveat would be that they may change their policy. Remember a few years back when Royal Caribbean and several Carnival-affiliated brands changed their cabin smoking policies pretty much all at once? Well, that left NCL as the US based mass market line whose policies allowed cabin smoking. I noticed not because I smoke, but because I was afraid NCL might get an influx of die-hard cabin smokers, increasing my risk of a stinky cabin. But it was not to be; after a few weeks delay, NCL followed the trend and banned cabin smoking. I imagine they are now studying the issue. They have a much smaller share of the cruise business and do not necessarily take the lead on such policy changes, instead watching how other fare. They may stand pat, but having watched them, I will not be surprised if they follow the trend and ban balcony smoking.

Hi,

I cant really tell you why I know this, but the no smoking on the balcony will soon be for all cruise lines.

I am a smoker, and most of the time I would spend more for the balcony room so I could smoke, but I have also sailed in an inside, and went upstairs on the smoking side of the lido had my coffee and my cig.

But for those who are saying they are moving to a different cruise line, soon there will not be that choice.

So I guess you either cruise, and smoke where you can, or find something else to do on vacation.

For me I would never give up cruising, except if I could not smoke anywhere.

First of all lets get a couple things out of the way.

#1. I dont smoke

#2. I love RCCL

#3. I dont love Their new Smoking Policy

#$ because of my travel mates I will be forced to switch cruise lines.

Now, I am hoping this does not turn into a shouting match like some of the other smoking threads have turned into. I have some questions and thoughts open for discussion. Here is my problem.

Although I dont smoke I have many friends I cruise with that do. There primary complaint is that they dont want to have to get dressed and go find a smoking area of the ship at 5am when they wake up. ( I totally understand that).

Now... Here is the problem. They have basically said that we are going to have to pick a different cruise line becasue they are not willing to give up the Smoking on the balcony thing... so.... Does anyone actually have a proper list of what cruise lines will still let you smoke on the balcony?

Also, it's my understanding that you can still smoke on the RCCL asian cruises (which only makes sense because so so so many asian people smoke, I know this from my travels abroad). so what about europe???

While I think the new policy is not a smart move and probably skipped a couple steps .. (like why not make a few non smoking ships?) but that is not the purpose of my posts and questions.. It's more of a .. what options are left??

HAPPY. NO SMOKING. Now everyone will be happy on the ship

It does seem like the overall trend in public is to disallow smoking. What's likely to happen, if it's not already coming down the pike, is that the remaining lines will see that RCI's bookings haven't really been affected, their cleaning costs have dropped, and will follow suit.

I just spent 3 nights in a hotel this week. The hotel grounds, not just the rooms, were non smoking. This is the general trend everywhere so those that will not cruise because they cannot have their morning or evening cigarette on the balcony are soon going to be staying home if that is their priority.

Personally I am a non smoker but have never had an issue with a smoker on a cruise. Overall I do think it is good, but definitely do feel for those addicted to their cigarettes.

I just spent 3 nights in a hotel this week. The hotel grounds, not just the rooms, were non smoking. This is the general trend everywhere.

That's definitely the trend and it's expanding beyond the usual restaurants, bars and hotels. One of the strictest places I've seen recently was at the Indianapolis Int'l Airport. There's NO smoking inside the airport terminal, outside the terminal, on the sidewalks, parking garage, and pretty much ANYWHERE inside the airport's perimeter (even if you're standing on the grass, 1/2 mile away from the closest building). One of the members in my group lit up a cigarette while we waited for the hotel shuttle, and a security agent riding a Segway popped out of nowhere and made her put it out. She asked where was the closest place where she could smoke and the agent replied "on the expressway, outside the airport's fence".

So welcome to the new normal. :D

Happy no smoking. You can't smoke on the plane getting to the cruise ship

Try and find one. No airlines offer that. There is not a demand for more smoking options

Will enjoy my cruise

Did you really need to post three times in a row saying "happy no smoking" on a thread that was designed to discuss other options for smokers? That's kind of insensitive. The adult equivalent of a school yard "nah nah nah nah nah nah."

This is just a small sampling of a small population.

And what do you think polls taken during elections and other major events are? They are also a small sampling of the population (and they're usually accurate within a few percentage points).

I do believe that the poll does reflect the general sentiment of the cruising population. The overwhelming majority will continue sailing on Royal. And for every smoker that Royal looses, they'll probably gain a couple non-smokers running away from other cruise lines that still allow smoking on balconies.

Archived