Tourists aren't allowed to rent cars in Bermuda?

cruisecritiquer

I'm not asking a question...I was just kind of surprised that we will be at port for 3 days and the entire time we will be at the mercy of taxi and ferry service. I'm not really complaining...just kind of shocked. :eek:

Cars were not allowed in Bermuda until 1946. Today Bermuda has a large number of private cars, almost one for every two inhabitants; however, only residents are allowed to drive them. This is largely because, with close to 300,000 visitors a year, allowing car rental on one of the world's most densely populated islands would quickly bring traffic to a standstill, as well as bankrupt the island's taxi industry. Car prices are much higher than in the United States, Canada, and Europe, due to heavy import duties, and residents are also limited to one car per household. The size of cars is also restricted (due to the narrow and winding roads on Bermuda), meaning that many models popular in the United States, Canada, and Europe are not available in Bermuda. Only the Governor and Premier are exempt from these restrictions.

There is no car hire (car rental); visitors may only rent low-power motor scooters; they may also use the extensive public bus system, or take taxis. The highest speed limit anywhere on the island is 35 km/h (approximately 20 mph), and it is lower in built-up and other congested areas. - Wiki

It's been like this for as long as I remember.

Honestly, it is a smart idea.

Keith

Absolutely! I can't imagine the roads with tons of extras cars and Hamilton would be total gridlock. Also, there would be more who choose a car over a scooter so more who are not used to driving on the left.:eek:

I'm not asking a question...I was just kind of surprised that we will be at port for 3 days and the entire time we will be at the mercy of taxi and ferry service. I'm not really complaining...just kind of shocked. :eek:

\

Their bus service is excellent, and easy to get around using buses and ferries with either prepurchased pass booklets or various bus passes.

Thank you for your knowledgeable and insightful posts. Having never been to Bermuda I did not think to check on their traffic conditions or modes of transportation until I was planning a trip to go there. For that reason, this law could have been in place for 1000 years and I would not have known it because I have never been there. :)

Thank you for your knowledgeable and insightful posts. Having never been to Bermuda I did not think to check on their traffic conditions or modes of transportation until I was planning a trip to go there. For that reason, this law could have been in place for 1000 years and I would not have known it because I have never been there. :)

Just got back for a second time. No real need for a car, busses and ferries work well. Cabs are plentiful, I can't imagine more cars on the road. They would need to open up another hospital for the visitors:D

The roads are very narrow and very twisty. No thanks, for three days I'll gladly take public transportation

You could take a bus or taxi to get about but many people do rent scooters when they go to Bermuda. They can be more convenient, can reach places other modes of transport can get to and can be exciting to ride

Are there two-person scooters? We have a 11 year old. :confused:

I'm over my initial shock and will take a bus/taxi if I need to. I kept reading everywhere that's it's very expensive though. Is that not true?

Are there two-person scooters? We have a 11 year old. :confused:

I'm over my initial shock and will take a bus/taxi if I need to. I kept reading everywhere that's it's very expensive though. Is that not true?

You can buy a two or three day pass, which is good for the busses and ferries. I forgot the exact price, but it is reasonable.

Archived