Icy Straight Point Whale Watching Tours

travln1234

Hi all. I'm looking at the various companies. Wondering if anyone on the Icy Strait Whale Adventures - Private Tours can tell me how 6 people ride to and from? It seems there are 3 seats, but they take 6 passengers?

Also wondering if on the Hoonah Travel Adventures - Whale Watch tour if that boat has a bathroom (I have a 7 year old! lol) and how 18 people watch...most from inside? Does everyone fit outside on the deck?

Any recommendations for tour companies? I'm not looking for a large boat experience with tons of people. I'd prefer to go on a smaller boat.

Thanks muchly!

We used Icy Strait Whale Adventures. It is tight. The two seats on either side of the table seat four. The other seat is really just 1 and 1/2. The six of us from from our roll call.

So, while we had never met the other four passengers--we felt like we knew them. It helps to not be strangers. There is a bathroom. You enter from the back deck.

I did a live review of our Radiance sailing.

This is the link to the page about the whale watch. Go to post # 51-52.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=35201687&highlight=whale#post35201687

Have fun!!

I've gone with Misty Bay Lodge for a wonderful whale watching (and bear viewing) excursion in 2011. Small, 6 passenger boat, but very roomy inside and out - even a flying bridge on top that you can access if the weather is good. The aft open area is covered, important when it was misting on the day we were at ISP. There is a comfortable and warm interior area with a table and padded bench, small head and galley area, and Capt. Dan and his wife, Hope, provided us with some delicious homemade cookies and other light refreshments.

We loved Capt. Dan, and he put us on the whales - wow, were we fortunate, numerous instances of breaching and bubblenet feeding, as well as tails and humps galore. It was one "oooh!" and "aaah!" moment after the other. Enjoyed it so much, I have booked again for next May with Capt. Dan. Would highly recommend!

I went in June with Hoonah Travel Adventures. Had a great time, and there was never a problem seeing the whales.

There was a full boat but we all got great views and great photo ops.

There is a toilet on board.

While I have never gone with any of the companies you have mentioned, I can say that I have gone with F.IS.H.E.S. 4 times and Glacier Wind 3 times ----- also have them both booked for 2014 --- we have NEVER been disappointed with either vendor. And yes, there is a restroom on board both boats.

I went in June with Hoonah Travel Adventures. Had a great time, and there was never a problem seeing the whales.

There was a full boat but we all got great views and great photo ops.

There is a toilet on board.

Thank you! Were people allowed at the front of the boat? I see there's a railing. And do all the windows open? I'm a photographer and I'd like to have a window-free shot. I like the look of this boat a lot, even if there are more people on board. Thanks much!

I highly recommend Teckk Outfitters and FISHES. I've had excellent tours with both, several times.

Maybe we'll try FISHES next year. We had such a terrible experience with Teckk Outfitters for our bear watch this year that I wouldn't want to go with them for a whale watch.

Thank you! Were people allowed at the front of the boat? I see there's a railing. And do all the windows open? I'm a photographer and I'd like to have a window-free shot. I like the look of this boat a lot, even if there are more people on board. Thanks much!

As part of a couple who is quite into photography, I can say Misty Bay's boat was well setup for picture taking. We had misty rain while on the tour and the covered back deck was perfect!! They also have an open deck on top of the cabin that you can shoot from. They too have a bathroom on board, very comfortable and stable catamaran power boat! We were very happy with our choice to tour with them.

Yes, you are absolutely allowed on the front of the boat. Just not when heading out to the whales at high speed, but once in the area where the whales are, you are free to move about the boat as much as you like.

I spent most of the time on the front, taking photos.

I do not recall if the windows open because I never really spent much time inside.

The October to January 1st time period passes quickly with all of the holidays. . . but the winter months go by slooowly. :p

Have a good cruise!!

So true! And the last month seems to take at least a year and then the vacation itself is over in the blink of an eye!

Maybe we'll try FISHES next year. We had such a terrible experience with Teckk Outfitters for our bear watch this year that I wouldn't want to go with them for a whale watch.

Probably wise. I booked Teckk for a whale watch and was less than pleased. They seem to get a couple of unfavorable reviews here each year, though I don't recall one from this year. I have never seen a bad review for FISHES.

I booked Hoonah Travel Adventures for our first leg. If I magically come into more $, I may book them for the second leg of our B2B. Also strongly considering FISHES for the 2nd leg. Not sure how I feel about 6 people on board without much seating space, but I do like the fact that there are only 6 people on board. :)

Probably wise. I booked Teckk for a whale watch and was less than pleased. They seem to get a couple of unfavorable reviews here each year, though I don't recall one from this year. I have never seen a bad review for FISHES.

Everything I'd read was positive. Which is why I was so shocked at how terrible our experience was.

Everything I'd read was positive. Which is why I was so shocked at how terrible our experience was.

If you did an Advanced Search by Title then typed in Teckk you would certainly see multiple negative reviews. As I said, I don't recall one from this year, but pretty much every year for the past 3-4 years I have seen at least 1-2 negative comments/reviews about them. They may be great 98% of the time, but why take a risk when I only have one day in a place like that?

If you did an Advanced Search by Title then typed in Teckk you would certainly see multiple negative reviews. As I said, I don't recall one from this year, but pretty much every year for the past 3-4 years I have seen at least 1-2 negative comments/reviews about them. They may be great 98% of the time, but why take a risk when I only have one day in a place like that?

I agree completely! I'd definitely never go with them again!

• 2 weeks later...
I booked Hoonah Travel Adventures for our first leg. If I magically come into more $, I may book them for the second leg of our B2B. Also strongly considering FISHES for the 2nd leg. Not sure how I feel about 6 people on board without much seating space, but I do like the fact that there are only 6 people on board. :)

Travln1234, I think I am one of your legs of your b2b on the Radiance, I did Misty Bay lodge last summer and am booking with them again with my hubby and 2 tweenage daughters. I have some pictures that were taken on the review I gave them last time around. We really enjoyed them and the boat was really comfortable with seating for 6 people, it did have a bathroom and he had underwater listening equipment.:)

I was wondering if I should spend a lot of money for an excursion to see whales, or can I see them from my aft balcony?

Depends on you. IF you want sure extended looks then you need a tour.

If you want a remote chance of a few seconds of view, then stay on your balcony. But think about it- aft is the worse place for any "looking". IF you are lucky you might get a view- of a whale getting farther away from you. IF you want the best option for cruise ship viewing then it has to be forward viewing, a lot of invested time and having a good pair of wide angle binoculars. You need to track these animals from way ahead. Only way to know they are there is by the exhalations.

I was wondering if I should spend a lot of money for an excursion to see whales, or can I see them from my aft balcony?

Yes, spend the money. While you may see whales from your balcony, they will likely be some distance away. You'll likely only see the spouts from their blow holes and some tails. You will also need to be out on your balcony as much as possible.

When you do a whale watching tour, they will be much closer (I think the boats have to stay a certain distance, like 100 yards, away from the whales). But with a whale watching tour, you can hear them breathe when they surface. And to see them breach up close; it's simply amazing!

While I'm all for scrimping and saving on certain things, when one goes to Alaska, one really needs to splurge on at least one great experience (whatever that experience may be to you). For me, it's whale watching - which I've done twice now and am considering a third time for next year.

Archived