Luggage on NY subway...?

New2cruising2011

We are traveling from a family friends home in the Bronx to the Manhattan cruise terminal in November. Would you have any issue taking your luggage on the subway or should we pay $40 for a car to take us?

The subways have no storage area for luggage. getting the luggage past an iron gate sometimes can be a real challenge. But it is not prohibited.

My personal suggestion is take the car. This is a special vacation and its best to start it relaxed and not hassled in the subway.

I am a long time subway user and have no issue hauling bags, BUT it usually isn't for most people. Most stations have NO elevators, and depending on your train, can have multiple levels to haul up.

I suggest you look at buses, easy to get on board. With either transportation, packing light with only one rolling bag is necessary.

Another vote for taking a car unless you are travelling with just a carry-on.

Long flights of stairs are a killer with luggage!

The closest station is 50th St A/C/E, and it does have an elevator from the southbound platform. But I've done the subway with luggage, and it's a pain. (Plus it's a 10-15 minute walk from 50th St to the ship.)

It's possible if you're lightly loaded and/or the station you get on at (and any where you transfer) has an elevator, but I wouldn't do it with typical cruise luggage.

I use the subway from Brooklyn to 42nd St then M42 or M50 only for short 4 day max cruises. Anything longer I take car service to the pier and yellow taxi back.

If you can't lift your bags over and thru the turnstile, the procedure is to wait on line at the booth (if your entrance has a staffed booth), tell the clerk you want to go thru the gate. Then have the clerk observe you swipe at the turnstile then and spin the arms of the turnstile without passing thru. The clerk will then unlock the slam gate for you to enter with your bags. Or one of you enter and you pass the bags thru the gate.

Seriously its a vacation, have two less drinks for each of you and take a cab... ;)

Usually when I'm on the subway it's packed. I couldn't imagine keeping my hand on the luggage and also the pole. Not to mention the valuables. Now if you tell me you are getting on first stop that's another story.

Good to know. Is it any less crowded on a Sunday morning? Not sure which stop on the line. Just know D train from the Bronx. Hmmmm. I have taken luggage on the Philly subway but I am sure it is different.

It would help folks give you advice if you could identify the D train station. My guess is that you might be getting on pretty near the end of the line so the chances of the train being uncrowded on a Sunday morning are greater.

You are going to need specific advice as to whether it is better to transfer to a C or E train and go to 50th Street to get a cab or just get off at 59th St(Columbus Circle) and get a cab.

Good to know. Is it any less crowded on a Sunday morning? Not sure which stop on the line. Just know D train from the Bronx. Hmmmm. I have taken luggage on the Philly subway but I am sure it is different.

just a little difference Philly subway carries 5% of the amount on the NY City subway system...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_systems_by_annual_passenger_rides#cite_note-SEPTA-99

We travel with just carry-ons. We don't drink,lol. We would take the D train from the Bronx or pay $40 for the car service plus tip. :cool:

Hey fellow North Carolinian!

We would take the car service. No way would we fight getting luggage on/off the trains. Not worth the trouble, especially with the crowds. We LOVE NYC, but we always have to adjust to their go-go-go lifestyle on our visits.

Enjoy NYC! One of our favorite places to visit! :)

I was thinking of asking the same thing, except from Brooklyn with the Q train. I'm not sure how much a car service would even be, drive would be 15-20 miles according to Google.

I think we can transfer trains and end up at Columbus Circle, thinking of basically taking the train into Manhattan then taking a taxi to the port.

Or possible having one member of our party drive to the port, drop us off and luggage. They drive car back to Brooklyn(no way I'm paying $35/day for parking!) and then take the subway out. We're cheap :o.

For the Q train you can go directly to 49th St which is supposed to have handicapped accessibility northbound. That could work for you and put you very close to the port. It also looks like you could transfer to the M50 bus which goes west to 12th ave on 49th St.

Thanks Brighton Line. The MTA website indicates the M50 runs every half hour on a Saturday and Sunday.

But I don't do this much anymore. My last experience on the subway with luggage was not good. The subway ride itself was fine. The problem was getting onto the platform and making a transfer. So if the folks coming from Brooklyn or the Bronx can easily get on a train at their local station or get to a nearby station that is accessible, that's half the battle. My advice would be to stay on the same train and get as close to the pier as possible and then just take a cab. That strategy can balance saving money with an easier overall trip.

138th, I am not the OP and I am familiar with the Q train... Check out my handle >G<.

Mentioned M42 as M50 does not run weekends I believe.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

Thanks, our cruise departs Monday.

Thanks Brighton Line. The MTA website indicates the M50 runs every half hour on a Saturday and Sunday.

But I don't do this much anymore. My last experience on the subway with luggage was not good. The subway ride itself was fine. The problem was getting onto the platform and making a transfer. So if the folks coming from Brooklyn or the Bronx can easily get on a train at their local station or get to a nearby station that is accessible, that's half the battle. My advice would be to stay on the same train and get as close to the pier as possible and then just take a cab. That strategy can balance saving money with an easier overall trip.

My plan does already involve a bus to the local subway station, I think the local station has a ramp to the platform, but I can't quite recall... But basically bus to the subway to get as close to port as possible with taxi accessibility, never been in a NY cab.

I think the taxi should get closer to the port than the bus and I'm always a little worried with buses in unfamiliar areas that I would take them in the wrong direction or get off at the wrong stop, lol.

485px-West_Farms_Sq_IRT_sta_jeh.JPG

(Typical picture of one of the many subway stations in the outer boroughs - this is @ West Farms Square, Bronx on the #5 IRT line, not too far from where we grew up then - there are many stations even higher above street level, most have no elevators - only "stairmasters" = foot work involved)

For anyone traveling on NYC subway with more than basic airline-sized carryons, research & plan ahead on your subway stops & transfer points - while many in the boroughs have elevators, they don't always worked & some are frequently out of service. And, if you are traveling toward the tail end of the morning rush hours, subway cars are usually still packed full heading into mid-town Manhattan, it's not fun if it involved multiple transfers - not for most cruisers unless you are in good physical shape.

And, cross-town buses like the M42's and M50's are designed for locals & tourists alike, except that it isn't exactly luggage-friendly and often crowded on most runs, especially on weekdays - nearing stops close to Lexington (East Side subways) & 6th Avenue (B/D/E/F) and Broadway (N/R/Q & 1/2/3 or West Side subways) - and crosstown traffic is infamous for being slow, even on weekends as service schedule is reduced & often just as packed.

Understood that folks got a budget to meet & rather tough it out, please do allow extra travel time so that you can get to the pier on time. Three of us are leaving out of MCT this Sunday - we could easily catch our weekend bus 2 blocks from us to transfer at Main Street, Flushing & ride the #7 train all the way to Times Square, then grab a taxi for the last mile or 2 - and definitely have seats & space on the subway for luggage. But, heck - we are going to spend the "extra" $25 difference & car service directly to the pier - no steps/elevators/ramps/platforms.

File:West_Farms_Sq_IRT_sta_jeh.JPGFile:West_Farms_Sq_IRT_sta_jeh.JPG

Hopefully that will just remind us to pack light ;). I'll try to check out some car services this weekend, think I would ultimately prefer the subway/taxi combination as it kind of allows us to leave whenever, so if the family wants to hang out at the house for longer, they can or we can leave first thing if they want.

Hopefully that will just remind us to pack light ;). I'll try to check out some car services this weekend, think I would ultimately prefer the subway/taxi combination as it kind of allows us to leave whenever, so if the family wants to hang out at the house for longer, they can or we can leave first thing if they want.

try these guys (212)304-1111, first class

We are traveling from a family friends home in the Bronx to the Manhattan cruise terminal in November. Would you have any issue taking your luggage on the subway or should we pay $40 for a car to take us?

Have not read all the replies here but I will tell you what we just did:

DH is 55 and just diagnosed with arthritis in his hip. I am 53 with bad knees.

We had 1 large rolling suitcase with a large duffel attached to it. DH handled that with a backpack also. I handled a rolling carryon size suitcase with a fanny bag and a backpack.

We traveled by Airtran and subway from JFK to our hotel Easy Peasy. From our hotel to the pier we used 2 buses. The buses were much easier as the drivers will lower the bus to the sidewalk for you. Yes, some places had elevators and some did not. We managed to make it. We solved the turnstile problem by either using the side gate or having one person go through the turnstile (me) and sliding the larger 2 pieces of luggage under the turnstile before DH went through.

Stepping onto the trains was easy as was getting off. Many, many people were traveling with luggage and I saw no one struggling.

As an example of the savings, we spent 7.50/person ($15) going from Pier 88, where the Breakaway was docked, to JFK. A couple on our flight who debarked from whereever the QE2 was docked spent $98 on a car service...they told us it was $108 in a taxi from JFK to their hotel...

When we arrived at JFK we spent $5/Airtran then bought 1 week Metro passes for $30/, so $70 got us transportation all over for 2 people for the week. This was only $15 more than the price of a taxi from JFK just to our hotel.

I don't know about you but I can use that money elsewhere, like a bar tab, or buying photos on the ship :)

Hope this helps someone.

While I understand native New Yorker's intentions, considering the general cost of living there, taxi's probably seem reasonable. However where we are from that is an awful lot of money and putting a minor amount of sweat equity into the picture produces comparitively large savings from our point of view...

Archived