Oh no! Art auctions

BillC

I can tell you one thing that HAS changed. There used to be smoking allowed in one corner of the Looking Glass lounge. But the smoke didn't know that it was supposed to stay in the corner and it had the nasty habit of spreading all over the room. After much feedback, smoking was eliminated. Thank you Azamara for listening.

That is good to hear. I was impressed that the only smoking area on Azamara was on the pool deck. I should I mentioned that in my comparison.

Apparently smoking issues do not fall on deaf ears

Oceania is redoing its 3 R ships. They allow smoking in a back corner of Horizon's (Looking Glass on Azamara) and folks have complained. They are now enclosing that area with glass in the refurb. Another win for non smokers.

Probably is a revenue enhancer since from the CC boards one can see how many cruisers choose a line (or won't choose it) because of the smoking policy -- which has caused so many lines to have more restrictive policies.

You really can't be serious. If you want "ridiculous"...reread your statement above.

You can't run a hospitality business without getting and responding to customer feedback. Why do you think they hand out end-of-cruise opinion surveys and send them back to Florida in a sealed box? To make passengers feel good? To let them blow off steam? To waste Azamara's time and money?

Why do you think Pimentel does President's cruises? Because he needs a vacation?

Do you really believe every survey is read? The main purpose of surveys is to make passengers feel like corporate is listening,when in reality all corporate cares about is the bottom line as evidenced in their decision to allow art auctions on board.

You can't run a hospitality business without getting and responding to customer feedback. Why do you think they hand out end-of-cruise opinion surveys and send them back to Florida in a sealed box? To make passengers feel good? To let them blow off steam? To waste Azamara's time and money?

Why do you think Pimentel does President's cruises? Because he needs a vacation?

I agree Marinaro. I strongly believe that Azamara is far more engaged with their Guests, than most other Cruise lines I've sailed on, and followed over the years. Some of the other lines act as if they are in their own universe.

While we may not always like their decisions, I feel that for the most part, Azamara pays attention to their Guest input. I'm also very thankful that we have Bill Leiber on our forum, to share our comments with Management. If Azamara did not care about our insights, Bill would not be an invaluable part of our community.

Do you really believe every survey is read? The main purpose of surveys is to make passengers feel like corporate is listening,when in reality all corporate cares about is the bottom line as evidenced in their decision to allow art auctions on board.

Hi Navyaviator,

I'm unsure if EVERY survey is read, but I have received phone calls from both Celebrity and Azamara, regarding my comment card. Of course, management cares about the bottom line. If they dont ? They lose their jobs. In Azamara's case, I feel that while the bottom line is critical, I absolutely believe they care about providing a great cruise experience as well.

It's unfortunate that many are annoyed about the Art Auctions, I get that - but I'm fine with it, if it helps Azamara's bottom line.

Didn't like the changes this past year of adding more wines and raising cruise fares since we are not drinkers. Now something is really wrong with the picture of Azamara doing away with the harpist but adding art auctions- that doesn't seem to be what the Azamara clientele wants, so someone is not listening. Next thing you know there will be rock climbing and selling "gold by the inch" in the boutique.:eek: Someone please listen - we like the experience for what it is now and not like it will be with taking away the special things like the harpist and adding things the mass market lines have - we like the smaller ships because of them NOT being mass market lines. Sorry to hear that Azamara seems to be stepping down rather than up.

I have to agree with those who feel this is just another dumbing down of Azamara. I for one will avoid Art Auctions like the plague, and will not be pleased if I am pestered or worse phoned in my stateroom.

Azamara is changing, and for me it is not for the better. Upmarket it certainly isn't.

On our last cruise in June we were dismayed when they were trying to sell non included drinks on the White Night deck party. The poor crew were trawling round with bottles trying to get passengers to buy. The selling of the drinks packages was also more evident than on any of our previous Azamara cruises.

I for one am confused as to the direction Azamara is headed in. One thing is for sure, if they sail into even more stormy waters, many will seriously think about abandoning ship!

Hi Navyaviator,

I'm unsure if EVERY survey is read, but I have received phone calls from both Celebrity and Azamara, regarding my comment card. Of course, management cares about the bottom line. If they dont ? They lose their jobs. In Azamara's case, I feel that while the bottom line is critical, I absolutely believe they care about providing a great cruise experience as well.

It's unfortunate that many are annoyed about the Art Auctions, I get that - but I'm fine with it, if it helps Azamara's bottom line.

Hope you're right, Andy, about mgmt caring about providing a great cruise experience. But they ignored all the disappointment in doing away with the harpists. And so far we haven't heard from Bill or corporate about the art auction concerns. First, it would be good to know whether the art auctions are a permanent fixture on both ships, a one time occurrence, a rumor, etc. And what space is really being used for the art and auctions?

Mgmt needs to remember that one thing that keeps people coming back to Azamara is the wonderful on-board experience provided by fabulous crews. If mgmt keeps exposing passengers to unwanted things, it's going to be a harder sell. If crews are forced to put up with unwanted things and are pushed more to sell to support the bottom line, they may become disgruntled and that can become infectious:confused. We sure don't want to see the on-board experience go into a downward spiral.

OMG, I thought that kind of tackiness had been phased out of all cruise lines! I mean, you're on holiday to relax and enjoy your time off, would you really want to be thinking about aquiring art? If you wanted to invest in art you'd research it and go through the proper channels, it has no place on a cruise ship!! :mad:

They had multiple art auctions when we were on Oasis....Seriously...does anyone buy art while on a cruise? I though I had read somewhere that RCCL decided to end is program on their ships.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

An update from Corfu, Greece:

1) Several officers that I talked to say it is on both ships.

2) It is not a trial.

3) The format is to have a lecture in the Looking Glass Lounge (today's was "Picasso,His Life & Art Seminar".

4) There is a Bid Box at a table staffed by Park West in the Mosaic Cafe area.

I have heard from several people that most of the Dalis are not real. I bet you will find lots of Dalis at these art auctions. He seems to be an artist some people think is valuable so he is frequently presented. Of course, "this is just my opinion!!!!"

Perhaps not all the art is crap, "in my opinion" but anything of any real value has a minimum bid placed on it which is usually higher than what you would pay on land. "In my opinion" of course.

An update from Corfu, Greece:

1) Several officers that I talked to say it is on both ships.

2) It is not a trial.

3) The format is to have a lecture in the Looking Glass Lounge (today's was "Picasso,His Life & Art Seminar".

4) There is a Bid Box at a table staffed by Park West in the Mosaic Cafe area.

Art Auction on Azamara? Good grief! Wonder if I can bid using some of my old drachmas, I have a few of those rattling around in the change jar...

I have heard from several people that most of the Dalis are not real. I bet you will find lots of Dalis at these art auctions. He seems to be an artist some people think is valuable so he is frequently presented. Of course, "this is just my opinion!!!!"

Perhaps not all the art is crap, "in my opinion" but anything of any real value has a minimum bid placed on it which is usually higher than what you would pay on land. "In my opinion" of course.

I've compared the prices onboard to on land. Most are priced within 25% of each other. Some cost waaaay more onboard (mostly the expensive stuff), some are quite a lot cheaper onboard (mostly the less expensive stuff).

Today the "silent" format has been dropped and they are having an "old fashioned" live auction in the theatre. In order to get in you had to register and give them your room #. Happy to say I did not register.

This is all too, too depressing.

Azamara are certainly saying one thing and doing another. Moves like this (art auctions) will not encourage me to book another Azamara cruise.

I certainly share your disapproval but art auctions are not enough for me not to book Azamara (or any other cruise line). I booked an Azamara b2b yesterday for 2015 (I had to fight to get information on the itineraries with the specific ports). Art auctions are now on almost every upscale cruise line -- Oceania, Regent eg -- and every main stream line. If you choose not to book a cruise with art auctions you might never cruise again. LOL

These art auctions are easy to ignore -- as I always say, it's a big ship (maybe not that big in Azamara's case) and you can always go to a different venue from where the auction is being held.

What really might deter me from booking Azamara is the positive AWFUL shore side service. Mr. Pimentel -- fix this problem. It is a disaster. Even my fabulous travel agent has trouble with your folks.

Was on an Oceania cruise in May/June this year. Prior to boarding, I was unaware that they had 'art' auctions on board. They were most intrusive on the Riviera with 1200+ pax on board so I can imagine just how intrusive they will be on Azamara.

The walls were 'plastered' with their wares so one couldn't get away from it.

Thank goodness it was port intensive.

We love Azamara; it won't stop us cruising with them but it won't make it as

wonderful an experience as we have previously enjoyed.

Hapicruisin

Was on an Oceania cruise in May/June this year. Prior to boarding, I was unaware that they had 'art' auctions on board. They were most intrusive on the Riviera with 1200+ pax on board so I can imagine just how intrusive they will be on Azamara.

The walls were 'plastered' with their wares so one couldn't get away from it.

Thank goodness it was port intensive.

We love Azamara; it won't stop us cruising with them but it won't make it as

wonderful an experience as we have previously enjoyed.

Hapicruisin

We were on Nautica in May. In contrast, nothing was plastered on the walls. The auction company had a tiny space on Deck 5 (behind the bar area - where the photographer is located on Journey) in which to display the "art." They used easels and a tiny bit of wall space and ONLY in that area. Perhaps the smaller size ship gives them fewer options. Let's hope so.

Several years ago Carnival threw Park West off all their ships - all lines. For RCCL and AZ to continue to do business with this corrupt (read convicted) company and its president says a lot in my mind. The quest (pardon the pun) for the dollar has overtaken common sense in my opinion and I am concerned that a very good cruise line is not long for this world.

In today's market place it is exceedingly difficult to maintain profitability with just 2 ships and 1300 berths. The economies of scale are not there and art auctions won't make up the short-fall. The auctions are a desperate attempt to gain a very minor amount of revenue at a significant public relations expense in my opinion.

We were on Nautica in May. In contrast, nothing was plastered on the walls. The auction company had a tiny space on Deck 5 (behind the bar area - where the photographer is located on Journey) in which to display the "art." They used easels and a tiny bit of wall space and ONLY in that area. Perhaps the smaller size ship gives them fewer options. Let's hope so.[quote

If the smaller sized ships gives them fewer options that will, indeed, be welcome. Especially as we have many sea days on our October Azamara

Cruise. Hapicruisin.

Well there is always room for a good conspiracy theory and here is mine.

Edie has obviously been pushed out as there is nothing about “pursuing other opportunities” or “spending time with family”

Larry must have been involved/approved all these changes such as

Inclusive drinking

Azamazing evenings

Rate hikes but probably not harpists or art auctions but who knows.

It is obvious from inside /balcony permanent promotion that pricing is out of line significantly.

Getting rid of Edie will probably save $1,000,000 of overhead what with costs of extensive travel for Edie who will not be flying coach,. her PA and secretary.

Larry dumps Edie and rides to the rescue with $1,000,000 savings .

Apologies in advance if this theory is proven wrong but is Larry not cruising at the moment and when did he tell her?

PS best of luck to Edie as I am sure she thought she had Azamara interests at heart even if her customers did not think so (judging by these boards)

Archived