Oh no! Art auctions

BillC

Magically some art work was installed last night on deck 5. A handout was included in today's Pursuits announcing an "Secrets In Art" seminar to be held this morning and a silent auction today in the Art Gallery located on deck 5. Apparently Azamara has formed a relationship with Park West to start selling art on the Journey. I would guess that the Quest is doing the same thing. I view this as a further decrease in the ambiance of the on board experience.

Oh no, that is the tackiest thing Azamara has ever done, sorry but seriously puts me off coming back in 2015.

I am getting so concerned about the direction Azamara is going in, yes they need to make revenue, understand 100% but what is your target market - at one minute they engage in upmarket activities, in conjunction with a justification of higher prices and then something like this.

Please tell us it is a one month experiment only.......

Magically some art work was installed last night on deck 5. A handout was included in today's Pursuits announcing an "Secrets In Art" seminar to be held this morning and a silent auction today in the Art Gallery located on deck 5.

Hard to believe but I guess anything for a buck...You would think after all the allegation of fraud and the class action lawsuits a few years ago that they would steer clear of Park West.

OMG, I thought that kind of tackiness had been phased out of all cruise lines! I mean, you're on holiday to relax and enjoy your time off, would you really want to be thinking about aquiring art? If you wanted to invest in art you'd research it and go through the proper channels, it has no place on a cruise ship!! :mad:

If I remember correctly, art auctions were reappearing on Oceania and Regent earlier this year, though they were apparently not run by Park West.

The auctions in themselves are fairly easy to avoid, especially participation in same.

However, it suggests that the cruise line does not see its clients as particularly sophisticated and is that the message you wish to impart?

However, it suggests that the cruise line does not see its clients as particularly sophisticated and is that the message you wish to impart?

Especially after all the pretentious emphasis on wanting to attract "upmarket travelers" by offering "bespoke" products. Azamara marketing is simply--no other word for it--inept.

Had time just now to view the works of art. They have taken over the area that formerly was at the table on deck 5 for the specialty restaurants. The price ranges for minimum bids is $3200 to over $30,000.

If indeed this is the case then it's yet again another BAD decision by shoreside management! :(

They just couldn't be more out of tune with their passenger base, could they?

Still, if no-one goes to these tacky and rip off so called "Art Auctions" then hopefully they won't last for very long. And they should be quite easy to avoid.

I will certainly be letting the wonderful Philip Herbert on Quest know my opinion in two weeks time! However, I also know he will be unable to do anything about it as it will be Miami calling the shots yet again.

Mr Pimental......what are you thinking? :(

And Princesstippytoes.....please don't let the ineptitude of Azamara shoreside put you off booking a cruise on Quest or Journey. The experience onboard is fantastic and more than makes up for the AZ management mistakes.

If nobody attends, and they are faced with providing berthing space for the auction team, they will soon disappear. If they got rid of the harpist, they should have a low tolerance for auctioneers. We are on the October 1st President's cruise on the Journey, and I will bring this up with management, if I get a chance.

I don't care about art auctions at all, but I also don't understand why people are so upset if there is something happening on the ship that they don't like. The attitude "if I don't like it, it shouldn't be on the ship and I'll speak to the President to make that happen" seems awkward and selfish. There are plenty of other events happening that I don't enjoy. Bingo. Future Cruise Sales presentations. Karaoke. Does that mean it should all be cancelled because it's not my thing? Don't like the auctions? Avoid them! I'll be on an outside deck drinking wine :D

I don't care about art auctions at all, but I also don't understand why people are so upset if there is something happening on the ship that they don't like. The attitude "if I don't like it, it shouldn't be on the ship and I'll speak to the President to make that happen" seems awkward and selfish. There are plenty of other events happening that I don't enjoy. Bingo. Future Cruise Sales presentations. Karaoke. Does that mean it should all be cancelled because it's not my thing? Don't like the auctions? Avoid them! I'll be on an outside deck drinking wine :D

Totally agree

Ignore what you don't like

Complaining to management is ridiculous -- obviously art auctions are a profit center or they wouldn't have them.

Florisdekort and pacheco18, although I agree that acutions are easy to avoid, you miss the point. The difference is that they are not intended to entertain, but rather to entice people to overpay for artwork in hopes that it will generate revenue for both Azamara and Park West.

It also comes at a cost in that it must provide berthing space for the auction team, that could be better used for crew members who are engaged in actually entertainment and creating a "bespoke" atmosphere.

Florisdekort and pacheco18, although I agree that acutions are easy to avoid, you miss the point. The difference is that they are not intended to entertain, but rather to entice people to overpay for artwork in hopes that it will generate revenue for both Azamara and Park West.

It also comes at a cost in that it must provide berthing space for the auction team, that could be better used for crew members who are engaged in actually entertainment and creating a "bespoke" atmosphere.

Azamara is NOT bespoke

Not even close

It is a wonderful cruise line (at least the on board experience is wonderful - I loved it, have another booked and I am seeking to book two more) but for them to even consider the use of the word "bespoke" is hilarious. They are still using the term to describe the Azamazing Evenings -- while some folks enjoy them there is nothing bespoke about being herded in buses in groups of 50 to see a tourist show -- which is what these evenings are all about.

The marketing department is an absolute disaster.

Regent, a luxury line -- closer to bespoke but not really -- has art auctions too. Just live with it. Azamara apparently needs the revenue.

As one who has complained, let me explain my position a little more

Firstly, I have an issue that these auctions often intrude on space that might otherwise be available as general seating area, relaxation area especially on an at sea day when space is more at a premium. It is fine if the weather is great and everyone else can be outside, but everyone of our Azamara cruises has experienced days of less than ideal weather - and in particular on North Europe itineraries that can be an issue

Secondly, I have found the staff to be intrusive, hassling you to take part, even calling your cabin

Thirdly, the other activities(bingo, karaoke, spa talks) being mentioned are all run by the onboard staff and they react to the guest mix very quickly and do not continue with these activities if it does not fit for that particular cruise, if you are talking about the auction, that clutters up the ship whether people want it or not. My previous experience on Azamara was it interfered with enjoyment of Mosaic significantly.

Finally, there are some ethical issues about the particular organisation that does bother me

Art Auction typically involves two staff who have to be accommodated on board and also access to some ship staff for "porterage". It is a shame the cabin(s) for the Auction staff had not been put to other use, perhaps more speakers/entertainers etc

I will comment on board, just as I would on other things, if I think it interferes with the general ambience and onboard enjoyment, it is for the cruise line to judge the value of my comments viz a viz the bottom line, but as they are always asking for my feedback, I think it is perfectly valid to cover the inclusion of Art Auctions in any views I give, if I think it warrants it.

And it still says to me, what is the business direction of this line and maybe I fit better with another line or other type of holiday?

As one who has complained, let me explain my position a little more

Firstly, I have an issue that these auctions often intrude on space that might otherwise be available as general seating area, relaxation area especially on an at sea day when space is more at a premium. It is fine if the weather is great and everyone else can be outside, but everyone of our Azamara cruises has experienced days of less than ideal weather - and in particular on North Europe itineraries that can be an issue

Secondly, I have found the staff to be intrusive, hassling you to take part, even calling your cabin

Thirdly, the other activities(bingo, karaoke, spa talks) being mentioned are all run by the onboard staff and they react to the guest mix very quickly and do not continue with these activities if it does not fit for that particular cruise, if you are talking about the auction, that clutters up the ship whether people want it or not. My previous experience on Azamara was it interfered with enjoyment of Mosaic significantly.

Finally, there are some ethical issues about the particular organisation that does bother me

Art Auction typically involves two staff who have to be accommodated on board and also access to some ship staff for "porterage". It is a shame the cabin(s) for the Auction staff had not been put to other use, perhaps more speakers/entertainers etc

I will comment on board, just as I would on other things, if I think it interferes with the general ambience and onboard enjoyment, it is for the cruise line to judge the value of my comments viz a viz the bottom line, but as they are always asking for my feedback, I think it is perfectly valid to cover the inclusion of Art Auctions in any views I give, if I think it warrants it.

And it still says to me, what is the business direction of this line and maybe I fit better with another line or other type of holiday?

Excellent post, and while it provides clarification I hope that your penultimate paragraph does not suggest you feel that there is a need to defend your posting on this issue.

Indeed, as quick survey of the Oceania thread created upon the return of the auctions will show, a number of posters there did not meet the announcement with equanimity.

On a more practical level, how can we ensure that the auction either disappears or remains in its present rather easily avoided location. Can we be certain that initial failure will not lead to more prominence? Counterintuitively, should we encourage others to visit the present site, feign interest but purchase nothing? Thus they could simply blame the product :).

Azamara is not alone

OCeania recently re-introduced the art auctions as well

Must be a profit center because no one on CC seems to want them

They are fairly easy to ignore

I agree Laraine. While I'm not a fan of Art Auctions, they are probably a good source of income, and are easy to avoid, if that's not your cup of tea. I totally agree with Marinaro44, that it doesnt look good, especially when the wonderful harpists were eliminated. They will be missed by our family.

With that said, the bottom line is - they have a responsibilty to shareholders to generate and increase profits whenever possible. Based on the events of the past few weeks, it's clear the RCCL family is taking major steps to do just that.

As for UKtog's outstanding post, I'd be unhappy if the Art folks were intrusive, and calling my cabin. One more more reminder cards left at my cabin are fine, but calling our cabin is over the top, IMO. I'm certain that Bill will view our comments, and pass them along to Azamara's Management team. Hopefully, this will be corrected.

I understand that our community is not pleased with this news, but the Art Auctions certainly wouldnt stop us from sailing with Azamara.

Yes, you can avoid the auctions of you don't want to attend. But it's hard to avoid the awful art that they put out on the ship in place of something else. And to contract with Park West which is known as a fraudulent enterprise and has been the subject of lawsuits for cheating people makes it even worse.

I am beginning to wonder if the woeful marketing folk understand the passenger demographic on Azamara cruises.

Like all previous posters I will give the art auctions a wide berth (excuse the pun)

Surely they can come up with more creative revenue earners?

Recent decisions have been very disappointing but I am hoping the on board experience which I will have in two weeks time will be as wonderful as ever.

What a bummer this news is to us. We just got off the Quest a month ago, and during our cruise we must have commented to each other (and to many other guests as well) how nice it was not to have an art auction on board.

The core problem with these auctions - as a few others in this thread have tried to point out - is that they are intrusive. I absolutely agree with the poster who said, just because you don't like a particular activity doesn't mean you should complain about it or try to get it stopped. When it comes to bingo or trivia or even the Azamazing evenings, I completely agree. Each to his own. No one participates in 100% of cruise ship activities. Heck, some people never eat a single meal at the buffet, but of course they don't expect the cruise line to eliminate it!

BUT - when it comes to these art auctions, at least on other cruise lines I've patronized (Celebrity, RCCL and HAL) well, the problem is that they take over public spaces in a very obtrusive manner. Areas are sometimes roped off, walking pathways are temporarily unnavigable, table surfaces are not available for general use, and so on.

At least, thank goodness, it appears the auctions on Azamara will be silent. Audible auctions on those other ships were one of the most annoying things imaginable. I've never been bothered by someone calling out bingo numbers (usually in a separate space anyway). But on those other ships, I was about ready to kill after the third or fourth time that an art auction made enjoying a glass of wine in a public space impossible.

AND - it's one thing for the line to seek out more ways of making money. That is indeed their perogative and this is indeed a business they're running. But it's quite another thing to install an organization on board that has essentially been discredited in the public realm. Park West's sales tactics are known to be underhanded, and IMO perhaps even borderline illegal in some cases. Their salespeople repeat a mantra that the monetary value of their pieces are likely to appreciate considerably over time. That simply isn't true for the kind of art they sell, and certainly not at the prices they sell it.

So sorry to those who think I'm being too harsh, but BOO on Azamara for this move. What I would say to Azamara's management is, find other (more creative) ways to increase revenue and improve the bottom line, but without compromising your customers' enjoyment of your main product - the ships!

They probably got rid of the harpists to accommodate these 2 staff members.

Archived