RIP OFF! Star misses 2 of 4 ports and keeps port charges!

sandycruzr

While a true statement, the above does not apply to Princess cruises in Alaska and OP's issue.

But this post below indicates that passports were in fact collected on an Alaskan cruise, albeit, under unusual circumstances.

I was on an Alaskan cruise last year disembarking in Victoria. The weather was too windy to dock or even tender but because of the pvsa, Princess had to send a tender with officers aboard to bring 2 cases of passports ashore to be checked over.

Princess often collects everyone's passports at embarkation to make it simpler at some ports where immigration officials review each and every passport. It is much simpler to have the official go through a couple of boxes instead of rounding up each and every passenger for passport inspection.

Passports are returned before disembarkation.

This is nothing new and works very well. Procedures are in place to leave certain passports with the ship's onshore agent if a passenger misses their ship. If a port requires each passenger to hold their own passport while on shore, passports will be returned the day before and recollected at re-embarkation.

Interesting. This did not happen on the OP's and my cruise, so the lifeboat that went ashore didn't have crates of passports. I don't think I'd like a cruise keeping hold of my passport for the duration.

The $376 your T.A. showed as taxes were not taxes at all, but NCFs (non-commisionable fare). Some agent systems have no way to input those except to show them as taxes. The $166.04 are the real taxes, $88.02 each, of which as mentioned before $34.50 is the Alaska "head" tax, leaving $53.52 each in actual port taxes for all four ports. I hope this breakdown helps a bit.

We have never been asked for our passports while cruising in Alaska or Canada. If they did collect passports could it be for those other then US and Canadian citizens? Possible crew members?

When we cruised with non US passports they would take them at check in and return them the night prior to disembarking. Not sure if they still do that:D

I was thinking it would be the crews passports and maybe some other documentation, manifest etc of passengers:confused:

The $376 your T.A. showed as taxes were not taxes at all, but NCFs (non-commisionable fare). Some agent systems have no way to input those except to show them as taxes. The $166.04 are the real taxes, $88.02 each, of which as mentioned before $34.50 is the Alaska "head" tax, leaving $53.52 each in actual port taxes for all four ports. I hope this breakdown helps a bit.
I believe a significant portion of the OP's frustration was caused by the misleading information provided by their TA. Found this on another website. Note that Princess does not show the NCF on their prices to passengers, but only to TAs

When you receive a quote or purchase a ticket for a cruise, there normally up to 5 components to the price:

1) Room or Voyage fare (the cost/fare for the stateroom/cabin)

2) Non-commissionable fees (NCF)

3) Governmental taxes and fees

4) Gratuities (optional, but depends on the cruise line)

5) Travel insurance (optional)

The most confusing component is “non-commissionable fees.” What does “non-comm,” “non-commissionable,” or “NCF” fees mean? They are called “non-commissionable fees” (NFC) because the travel agent is not paid a commission on those fees. Several years ago, the Federal Trade Commission required cruise lines to list all “non-commissionable fees” in the price they advertise – in other words, they are supposed to tell you the entire price for the cruise (room/voyage fare + non-commissionable fees + governmental taxes and fees). The purpose of the FTC order was to make sure the customers understood the true cost of their cruise.

Unfortunately, “non-commissionable fees” is not a very consumer friendly term, and can be used by cruise lines to merely bump up their profits. These fees typically include port fees, but can include any other fee the cruise line wants to include, such as administrative fees, or fees related to services provided while in ports (piloting fees, stevedores, waste disposal, immigration fees, etc.). You won’t normally see the “non-commissionable fees” broken down or listed, and there are not any requirements or limitations on what a cruise line can or cannot include in the fee. In all honesty, NCFs can be whatever the cruise line wants. The only requirement is that it must be disclosed to the customer.

Some travel agencies merely list NCFs as “port fees,” but this is not correct, and it can lead to confusion and frustration. For instance, if your NCFs were labeled as “port fees” of $150 for your cruise, but unfortunately a hurricane prevented you from visiting any port, you would expect to get your $150 “port fees” back. Bad news, you won’t. NCFs are not “port fees” but may include port fees.

So make sure you read the fine print. Make sure you know what you are buying.

Interesting. This did not happen on the OP's and my cruise, so the lifeboat that went ashore didn't have crates of passports. I don't think I'd like a cruise keeping hold of my passport for the duration.

Then you'll have to stick to cruises that stay close to the USA. You will not have a choice on many cruises dominated by far foreign ports.

While a true statement, the above does not apply to Princess cruises in Alaska and OP's issue.

Well, I admit I wasn't addressing OP's issue, I was answering a related question from BellaRoscoe as I indicated by quoting the question.

I also admit I didn't fully think through this being an Alaska cruise where passports are not routinely collected and I agree. I think other posters hit it on the head when they speculated the passports belonged to the crew. Princess probably only needed to go through the motions to make Victoria an official stop and not violate the PVSA.

Careful. The phrase is "go to the mat", as in a boxing ring or wrestling match. "Going to the mattress" suggests something else entirely!:eek:

Going to the mattresses suggests preparing for an all out war (Godfather 1). Sounds like OP is already there.

However, as others have pointed out, rules could be different for Alaska. Also, this is another instance of people paying less and cruising off season for a particular itinerary and getting a cheaper fare, but not believing there is more risk. At least this season, we haven't seen too many hurricane and tropical storm cancellations with accompanying complaints.

I am also curious - on your original itinerary - what were the port hours listed for Victoria?

If I recall correctly, it was 7 p.m. to 11:59 p.m. It might have been 6 p.m.

Then you'll have to stick to cruises that stay close to the USA. You will not have a choice on many cruises dominated by far foreign ports.

I'm not sure I plan to do another cruise anyway. This one was fun, but I wasn't so fond of the cheesy on board games and activities, and the entertainment and food and service was fine and a nice treat, but not something I crave. I quite enjoyed our time in the ports but we felt there wasn't enough time at either and by our second "at sea" day I had cabin fever. I think we're just not cruise people. I can't stay away from CC, though, and I keep wanting to be a cruise person. You all make it sound like the most fun ever. :D But I've hijacked enough, so thanks for the information, and OP, I hope you feel better about your refund. :)

Looking ahead to Star Princess 2014 - 11 day Inside passage the Port charges are $195 for 11 days and looks like the same amount of ports
Minor point, but the Star did the 7 day Inside Passage in 2013. For 2014 the Golden is doing that route and the Gov't Fees & Taxes are listed as $190.00. The point is that cruise lines need to identify the total cost of a cruise, but don't need to itemize the costs and we mere passengers have no idea what how to break down those charges. We have occasionally had port charge credits or additional charges on our bill at the start of a cruise and we have automatically received credits for missed ports. Typical port costs are around $10-$20. If the OP doesn't believe the explanation there is nothing else to say.

This is what the Princess Passage Contract says about Government Fees and Taxes and Surcharges:

"Government Fees and Taxes" may include any and all fees, charges, tolls and taxes imposed by U.S. and/or foreign governmental or quasi-governmental authorities including but not limited to U.S. Customs fees, port fees, head taxes, port fees, Panama Canal tolls, dockage fees, wharfage fees, inspection fees, pilotage, air taxes, hotel or VAT taxes incurred as part of a land tour, immigration and naturalization fees, and Internal Revenue Service fees, whether assessed on a per passenger, per berth, per ton or per vessel basis. In the case of per ton or per vessel assessments, those assessments will be spread over the passenger capacity of the ship.

Government Fees and Taxes are subject to change and Carrier reserves the right to collect any increases in effect at the time of sailing even if the fare has already been paid in full. Similarly, we reserve the right to impose or pass through security surcharges or similar incidental surcharges. No right of cancellation exists under either of these circumstances.

I mentioned passports because that is why the ship I was on sent a tender ashore. don't stress about them taking yours. they were most likely from non us/non canadians as ours were not collected. as an aside, I have had mine collected on previous cruises, its no big deal. they return them when you need them.

Thank you one and all for the enlightening posts regarding port fees. I honestly had no idea that any cruise line (or TA) could lump in commisions with port fees. I really believed that port fees were just that .... port fees.

In the end I do believe that if Princess just took the time to communicate this with passengers on the Star many people would have felt differently about this situation (myself included). After reading all these post about what really could be in the "port fees" I put a call into my TA for further explanation. It surprises me that after the class action suit a few years back with regard to inflating port fees that my TA would list port fees and gov't taxes the way she did on my invoice. I am sure Princess would not be happy about this either.

As for PVSA...the Captain made the announcement when our ship docked far offshore from VIctoria, BC that this "is not a port of call but a resupply stop and no passengers will be leaving the ship"..his words not mine. Again, communicating with the passengers honestly would have been helpful. Besides, I think many people would have enjoyed learning more about the PVSA requirements and would have a better understanding of what was happening. I really appreciate all the CCers information about that.

Thank you all once again for the great information and I wish you all smooth sailing in the future:)

I believe a significant portion of the OP's frustration was caused by the misleading information provided by their TA. Found this on another website. Note that Princess does not show the NCF on their prices to passengers, but only to TAs

When you receive a quote or purchase a ticket for a cruise, there normally up to 5 components to the price:

1) Room or Voyage fare (the cost/fare for the stateroom/cabin)

2) Non-commissionable fees (NCF)

3) Governmental taxes and fees

4) Gratuities (optional, but depends on the cruise line)

5) Travel insurance (optional)

The most confusing component is “non-commissionable fees.” What does “non-comm,” “non-commissionable,” or “NCF” fees mean? They are called “non-commissionable fees” (NFC) because the travel agent is not paid a commission on those fees. Several years ago, the Federal Trade Commission required cruise lines to list all “non-commissionable fees” in the price they advertise – in other words, they are supposed to tell you the entire price for the cruise (room/voyage fare + non-commissionable fees + governmental taxes and fees). The purpose of the FTC order was to make sure the customers understood the true cost of their cruise.

Unfortunately, “non-commissionable fees” is not a very consumer friendly term, and can be used by cruise lines to merely bump up their profits. These fees typically include port fees, but can include any other fee the cruise line wants to include, such as administrative fees, or fees related to services provided while in ports (piloting fees, stevedores, waste disposal, immigration fees, etc.). You won’t normally see the “non-commissionable fees” broken down or listed, and there are not any requirements or limitations on what a cruise line can or cannot include in the fee. In all honesty, NCFs can be whatever the cruise line wants. The only requirement is that it must be disclosed to the customer.

Some travel agencies merely list NCFs as “port fees,” but this is not correct, and it can lead to confusion and frustration. For instance, if your NCFs were labeled as “port fees” of $150 for your cruise, but unfortunately a hurricane prevented you from visiting any port, you would expect to get your $150 “port fees” back. Bad news, you won’t. NCFs are not “port fees” but may include port fees.

So make sure you read the fine print. Make sure you know what you are buying.

Thank you for this great information..I had no idea NCF could be labeling "port fees" on my invoice

Whose sentiments don't you share?

It, I think was to JimmyVWine. And I may stand corrected. Had dental surgery that day and was probably in the ozone somewhere. Don't know for sure. Trying hard to take care of dental issues so I can eat on upcoming Hawaii cruise. If I offended anyone, I'm deeply sorry....

Now this makes sense. I originally wondered about the breakdown when the OP stated it was done by the TA rather than by Princess. I think you have hit the nail on the head. This is a TA issue rather than a Princess issue.

Those who commented on the differences in port charges should watch that Travel Channel (I think it was) documentary on one Western Caribbean voyage of an NCL ship. Most interesting to any veteran cruiser, but they do mention that the port charges in the Caribbean are very cheap because they want to attract the ships to bring ashore us to spend money.

On the three one day and two days I did this past week, there was a refund on the bill marked "Government" for about twelve dollars. Since the port in common was Vancouver, I'm thinking some fees went down. Came in handy. I didn't use all my OBC on the first two and was $1.07 over on the third one. I imagine I will see some small checks in the mail.

Archived