Alcohol Confiscated - Caught !!

cruisesusie

I stayed at a hotel that asked guests not to bring alcahol onto the premises. Unless alcahol is some sort of protected class, they are free to make whatever restrictions on their private property they wish. They host a lot of weddings, with large parties spending the night there. Apparently the large parties had large parties that disturbed the other guests.

So that's one out of millions !

Wrong!!!

When you check your baggage at the airport, your bags may be opened and searched without you being there.

Princess, and the other cruise lines, have the right to open and search anything which comes on board the ship. Princess, as well as the other cruise lines, have rules in regards to alcohol. If you smuggle and break the rules, expect to be caught.

They have every right to do it, but they are for the most part smart enough to exercise that right in a much smarter way, which is to hold your bags if they have questions, and search while you are standing there.

The airlines most certainly do not do it, the TSA does under their authority to secure the airport and the aircraft.

This is not a security issue, its a financial one, so they would not be wise to search without you there. As was stated, all it takes is one thing to go missing, and its a huge mess.

Security or Financial it doesn't matter. it's there ship their rules. Don't like it try another cruise line. As far as you being there how do we know that they are not opening the cases in a room with cameras and more then one security officer available. I'm sure Princess has thought about it. And what are you worried about being stolen in your suit case. A formal evening gown or your tap shoes? Not worth loosing your job over IMHO.

... how do we know that they are not opening the cases in a room with cameras and more then one security officer available.

Actually, we do know that. From the Passage Contract:

Your luggage will undergo a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event Your luggage is locked, You will be notified and are required to attend the secondary inspection

Princess has the right to apply rules and enforce them, which they have done.

I have the right to decide never to sail with them again, which I have done.

Good for you. :) Isn't it nice that we have choices.....

Yep. That's what it boils down to. Cruising has become so restrictive now that it just doesn't hold as much appeal for us. We'll still cruise occasionally but land trips will dominate our vacation plans.

We always buy online for delivery to our stateroom. Roughly 9 - 10 drinks from a 375ml bottle. Cheaper than the bar prices onboard - more costly than home. But, we're on vacation and expect to pay for it.

Choosing not to cruise on a particular line because of their policy of bringing alcohol onboard has never occurred to us and never will.

I know this rankles some people, and as others have said,

we all make our own choices.

Is it true that you can purchase a bottle from one of the bars onboard?

Cannot purchase from one of the bars....but can order through room service.

You can also order online via this link:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

Order from can be found at:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/Gifts_Services.pdf

Here in Australia P & O changed their policy of returning or delivering duty free spirits on the day before disembarkation to the morning of disembarkation due to abuse of the system by passengers.

You now have to collect them yourself from a designated area at a designated time before you disembark.

This also means you are carrying them when you go through customs with your bags and those with excess get stopped and have to pay duty on all the alcohol not just what is in excess of the limit.

But I say good on Princess, the rule is and has been clearly stated in your passage contract, luggage tag and boarding pass that only wine may be brought aboard. If you break the rules and get caught, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Here in Australia P & O changed their policy of returning or delivering duty free spirits on the day before disembarkation to the morning of disembarkation due to abuse of the system by passengers.

You now have to collect them yourself from a designated area at a designated time before you disembark.

This also means you are carrying them when you go through customs with your bags and those with excess get stopped and have to pay duty on all the alcohol not just what is in excess of the limit.

But I say good on Princess, the rule is and has been clearly stated in your passage contract, luggage tag and boarding pass that only wine may be brought aboard. If you break the rules and get caught, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I had this happen to a friend - wealthy fellow.

He bought a case of Crown Royal in a non-US port.

When he went thru customs....they docked him $50 per bottle. He

was not a happy camper, but should have known...

He and I still laugh about it years later....

Spindrift:

Nobody's saying you can't have a drink in your room. There are multiple ways to achieve this without carrying on your own alcohol.

Princess does not want people bringing unlimited amounts of alcohol onboard, nor do they want folks bring hard liquor or beer. I'm sure it's a combination of desire to up onboard revenues and liability issues at play.

They are actually very selective in how they enforce the liquor policy and it seems like they're continuing to focus on US departures, especially warm weather cruising. They haven't been doing any checking on the Europe cruises, nor have they ever.

Cannot purchase from one of the bars....but can order through room service.

You can also order online via this link:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

Order from can be found at:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/Gifts_Services.pdf

Check the "gift " offerings against the on board room service menusd- DH and I were surprised that it's cheaper to wait and order from room service than to preorder yourself a bottle (of course now can't find the links I used...). We are looking specifically at bourbon / whiskey, but I think it was across the board.

Check the "gift " offerings against the on board room service menusd- DH and I were surprised that it's cheaper to wait and order from room service than to preorder yourself a bottle (of course now can't find the links I used...). We are looking specifically at bourbon / whiskey, but I think it was across the board.

Interested to know which Princess ship this was on.

The prices were the same across the board 3 weeks ago on The Golden.

Mike:)

The Passage Contract:

You agree Carrier has, at all times with or without notice, the right to enter and search Your stateroom, personal safe or storage spaces, or to search You, Your baggage and/or personal effects at any location.

Interesting. So in theory, ship's personnel have the right to enter our cabin in the middle of the night, strip-search my wife and me, without notice and without probable cause, and being totally subject to their rules and being in international waters, I have neither legal protection nor recourse. I never realized cruising could be so, um, exciting.

I stayed at a hotel that asked guests not to bring alcahol onto the premises. Unless alcahol is some sort of protected class, they are free to make whatever restrictions on their private property they wish. They host a lot of weddings, with large parties spending the night there. Apparently the large parties had large parties that disturbed the other guests.

Ding! Ding! Ding! This poster hit the nail on the head. We board Princess' (or insert any cruise line) PRIVATE PROPERTY and it can make the rules (as long as those rules don't conflict with law, etc.). That's the bottom line. If you (or I) don't like Princess' policy we can (1) complain to the powers at be, or (2) take our dollars (or like currency) elsewhere. There is no "right" to have a drink in your cabin and the analogies to hotel, etc. are useless. It is Princess' property, it can set the rules.

"It is Princess' property, it can set the rules"

Maybe princess should apply the same rules to their employees!

Want to know where to buy booze in port ?

Just follow an employee, they will buy numerous bottles and return to the ship. What is good for the goose is good for the gander!;)

Edited by Reader0108598

"It is Princess' property, it can set the rules"

Maybe princess should apply the same rules to their employees!

Want to know where to buy booze in port ?

Just follow an employee, they will buy numerous bottles and return to the ship. What is good for the goose is good for the gander!;)

That info is good to know but there is no "goose" and no "gander," although I think my Mom made both for Thanksgiving once. :p Princess can set different rules for its own employees. That's the beauty of being the boss!

That info is good to know but there is no "goose" and no "gander," although I think my Mom made both for Thanksgiving once. :p Princess can set different rules for its own employees. That's the beauty of being the boss!

Employee of princess are you:D

Yes you are correct, beauty of being the boss is .........to explain to your stock holders why you cannot sell a cabin!

Edited by Reader0108598

No, not really. Princess allows unlimited 750ml bottles of wine and Champagne. The first bottle per adult is free to bring on board, and free to be consumed in your cabin. All additional bottles are subject to a $15 per bottle corkage fee at the time of boarding, and once that is paid, the bottles can be consumed anywhere on the ship at no additional cost. The "free bottles" will be subject to the $15 corkage fee at the time of consumption if consumed in a public area such as a dining room or lounge.

There seems to be a misconception that because Princess charges a fee for bottles in excess of the free allotment, that only one bottle per person is permitted. But rest assured, under no circumstances will Princess confiscate, destroy or in any way prohibit* anyone from bringing on multiple bottles of wine or Champagne. They just have to be 750ml bottles, and they just have to be paid for.

*Australian departures have reported different rules.

Thanks Jimmy. Without getting into discussion of my wine taste preference :p, is my 5 liter box of white zin considered my one free 'bottle'? It doesn't need corking, just opening the spigot :D.