Alcohol Confiscated - Caught !!

cruisesusie

it is a pure pleasure being treated as tho we are responsible adults and can be trusted.

Based on the number of people that sneak alcohol on board (and I really don't care what others do) even though there is a policy that forbids it, I would say that many people do not behave as responsible adults and cannot be trusted.

Based on the number of people that sneak alcohol on board (and I really don't care what others do) even though there is a policy that forbids it, I would say that many people do not behave as responsible adults and cannot be trusted.

I am not taking sides either way here and, as our upcoming cruise is our first on Princess I am not trying to act like I know it all here but reading these posts it seems to me that most people are saying if Princess would just sell booze at a reasonable price (not expecting Total Wine pricing here) for in cabin/veranda tipples, very few would then attempt smuggling. I agree and we have already bought $130.00 worth from Princess for our in cabin drinks. Do we plan to stay in the cabin and drink all day? Heck no. :eek: We like a bit of Baileys in our morning coffee when traveling and like to have a drink or two while getting ready for the evening, that's about it other than veranda time. Otherwise, we will order from the bar, at the Sanctuary, etc. I do resent being searched (we get well enough of that from TSA) when we are paying good money to just relax and have a bit of fun. Maybe they will decide to sell on board at a reasonable price. Should I hold my breath?:eek::D

Isn't a cruise supposed to be about a relaxing vacation? Thanks for the postings here. Shows why someone would be out of their mind to book with Princess if as seems documented here one is going to be hounded like a criminal and shaken for every last penny to make up for corporate problems elsewhere!

Isn't a cruise supposed to be about a relaxing vacation? Thanks for the postings here. Shows why someone would be out of their mind to book with Princess if as seems documented here one is going to be hounded like a criminal and shaken for every last penny to make up for corporate problems elsewhere!

Hi JES. How about both of us on the Princess Board? I will let you know how this "strip search" goes but I think all will be well. Cunard has the same policy but we had a great trip on Queen Victoria last year ( another one SeaDream did not get) and no issues with outlandish searches. Heck, our covered veranda on this upcoming cruise is about as big as a SeaDream cabin.:eek: I hope we get to sail together some day as you seem to think like we do. ( a real scary thought.:eek:). :D

Jim, enjoy your trip. We just canceled two SD bookings after getting nowhere on the kids and family problems. Confess to being very spoiled given I have never been on a cruise other than SD so when I read about all the hassles on larger lines I start to drift to the conclusion that I'm going back to independent travel on land and in the air etc as we did for decades before originally falling in love with the old SD. We are trying to keep an open mind so I'm checking out other boards but thus far haven't found a cruise worth trying. Look forward to your continued insights and others offered here. By the way, I emailed the Cruise Critic staff to suggest they write a article about kids on cruises. They sent me one they updated earlier this year. It had a list of ways to avoid kids and the first one was to travel on luxury lines like SD which they mentioned by name. I replied they needed to do their homework since even the "luxury" lines aren't so much that anymore as their own forums and boards show kids issues at the high end too. That said, you make a good point about the bigger size of the cabins on Princess and other larger ships with or without alcohol brought onboard!

Jim, enjoy your trip. We just canceled two SD bookings after getting nowhere on the kids and family problems. Confess to being very spoiled given I have never been on a cruise other than SD so when I read about all the hassles on larger lines I start to drift to the conclusion that I'm going back to independent travel on land and in the air etc as we did for decades before originally falling in love with the old SD. We are trying to keep an open mind so I'm checking out other boards but thus far haven't found a cruise worth trying. Look forward to your continued insights and others offered here. By the way, I emailed the Cruise Critic staff to suggest they write a article about kids on cruises. They sent me one they updated earlier this year. It had a list of ways to avoid kids and the first one was to travel on luxury lines like SD which they mentioned by name. I replied they needed to do their homework since even the "luxury" lines aren't so much that anymore as their own forums and boards show kids issues at the high end too. That said, you make a good point about the bigger size of the cabins on Princess and other larger ships with or without alcohol brought onboard!

Don't give up JES. I have sailed Cunard since I was one of those kids.:eek: The only people I was an issue for was my parents as I was not permitted to bother other adults. Also, they always had kid places that I would much rather be in anyway. We had a great trip on Queen Victoria last year. Most of the various lines (other than the small ship turncoats) are going to the "Ship within a Ship" concept. Will let you know how it works out. One of the most interesting things on the Princess boards is how little complaining there is. Usually about the booze policy. Most seem to be very happy with Princess and have been many times. About like me with Cunard. Will let you know.

Thanks for the postings here. Shows why someone would be out of their mind to book with Princess if as seems documented here one is going to be hounded like a criminal and shaken for every last penny to make up for corporate problems elsewhere!

I will let you know how this "strip search" goes but I think all will be well.

If you read this entire thread, (and indeed, the whole point of the thread), is that the search for and confiscation of alcohol is the rare exception despite the well-published rules. If jack-booted shakedowns or strip searches were the norm, then this thread would never have been started. Princess's rules are: a) clearly stated; b) not that unusual in this slice of the cruise market; and c) understood and followed by most passengers. Enforcement of published rules should not be viewed as the implementation of a police state especially when every bag going on to every ships is, or at least is subject to, x-ray, inspection and search. You will be welcomed on board every Princess ship professionally, courteously, and without incident. Of course, should you press your luck in breaking oft-repeated rules, even ones that are printed right on your luggage tags, you should anticipate the possible enforcement of said rules and accept the consequences. But to paint Princess as some outlier cruise line that employs draconian security measures that should be both feared and avoided is simply unfair.

Or use rum runners and never be caught.

Just finished a Princess Cruise and our luggage arrived in our room minus a rum runner with a note that we were suspected of having violated the alcohol policy. They missed the others which were wrapped in bubble wrap and tucked in with shoes and toiletries. DH did not believe it was crucial to pack his rum runner so carefully, thus we lost it. They didn't return the emptied rum runner to us so beware and be careful.

How many people have had booze taken from their checked luggage or bags that they take on at the terminal when they board the ship in the last couple of months? What port did you embark on? I have seen only one person report this. Has anyone had this happen to this you?

Embarked at Whittier Alaska Sept 2013.....yep, they got one rum runners from a checked bag before it arrived in our cabin.....Darn!

Just finished a Princess Cruise and our luggage arrived in our room minus a rum runner with a note that we were suspected of having violated the alcohol policy. They missed the others which were wrapped in bubble wrap and tucked in with shoes and toiletries. DH did not believe it was crucial to pack his rum runner so carefully, thus we lost it. They didn't return the emptied rum runner to us so beware and be careful.

I guess you ignored the instructions on the rum runner packaging then.

Almost choked on this one! Obviously, some are not responsible adults and cannot be trusted. And those who are have nothing to hide and nothing to fear.

I am not taking the position that those who choose to attempt to take alcohol on board without permission are bad people, or are any more likely to take money from my wallet if they find it unattended. It is not a choice I make, but they understand the rules and the consequences (confiscation, at least of the beverage) if they are caught. I've seen too much in my time as a lawyer to judge people.

May I ask what port you sailed from?

Sorry I took so long to reply, but I'm still on the ship and the internet has been slow to nonexistent at times. We're on the Star Wine Coastal cruise starting in Vancouver, ending in L.A. tomorrow. The note in the bag said the alcohol would be destroyed, but there was a message in the Patter saying the alcohol would be returned the last day of the cruise so we'll see what happens and I'll let you know. We were wondering the same thing about the definition of "destroyed" - did someone help themselves ? Our cabin steward told us she saw many many bottles of liquor lined up in the luggage area. I can't imagine they would destroy them. If anyone is sailing on the Star and wondering about the food, its improved a lot since we sailed on her last February. We were very disappointed in the food at that time and we weren't alone in feeling that way. Maybe there were enough comments and improvements were made. If anyone has questions about the ship or itinerary, please ask.

Susan

What is a rum runner? I didn't read all the comments yet because I wanted to get my reply in before the internet went down again. So far its ok. I think someone wanted to know if we packed the alcohol in the original bottle - yes we did. I'll now read all the other comments.

Susan

What is a rum runner? I didn't read all the comments yet because I wanted to get my reply in before the internet went down again. So far its ok. I think someone wanted to know if we packed the alcohol in the original bottle - yes we did. I'll now read all the other comments.

Susan

google rum runner flask and you will see them

I don't get it. If you were not trying to sneak in alcohol to begin with you would not have to worry about them looking into your bags. The airlines do it all the time without you being there. and they just put a note in your bag that they did open it.

here here exactly

basically don't try and beat the system 1 bottle of wine per pax

Sorry I took so long to reply, but I'm still on the ship and the internet has been slow to nonexistent at times. We're on the Star Wine Coastal cruise starting in Vancouver, ending in L.A. tomorrow. The note in the bag said the alcohol would be destroyed, but there was a message in the Patter saying the alcohol would be returned the last day of the cruise so we'll see what happens and I'll let you know. We were wondering the same thing about the definition of "destroyed" - did someone help themselves ? Our cabin steward told us she saw many many bottles of liquor lined up in the luggage area. I can't imagine they would destroy them. If anyone is sailing on the Star and wondering about the food, its improved a lot since we sailed on her last February. We were very disappointed in the food at that time and we weren't alone in feeling that way. Maybe there were enough comments and improvements were made. If anyone has questions about the ship or itinerary, please ask.

Susan

Thanks OP for the additional info.

Edited by monakayk