Alcohol Confiscated - Caught !!

cruisesusie

And a little warning about them delivering your alcohol purchases to your stateroom the night before. My brother-in-law bought a few large bottles on the ship to bring back as gifts. They were packed very nicely in sturdy boxes and my BIL was assured that there would be no problem bringing them on the plane. WRONG. He packed them in his carry on, still in the boxes provided. Of course, they were confiscated at the airport and destroyed (not in our presence). I'm just glad he wasn't arrested! My sister and I distanced ourselves from him when we realized what he had done. :o I'm sure he was happy about that, too.:D

The only way you can carry alcohol on a plane is if it is bought inside security at the airports duty free counter and delivered at boarding.

The volume exceeds the liquid amount allowed to be carried on.

On a recent cruise on the Crown we stopped in Gibraltar, a lot of passengers were buying duty free locally, when returning to the ship they were asked to hand it over and Princess stored it until the end of the cruise, then handed it back, which seems fair enough.

Edited by magandy

Just back from a 10 day Mexico cruise. This was written in the Patter:

Please be reminded that only alcoholic regional souvenirs purchased during the course of the voyage or duty free from the ship's gift shop will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. Any forms of alcohol outside these parameters will be destroyed, including open bottles.

Took this to mean that while in Mexico only Mexican (type or produced) alcohol is allowed to be taken on board, to be collected and then delivered the last day of the voyage. (Bold font added by me.)

The passegers had pre bought duty free in the luggage, there transport arrive late to the ship, there bottle of wine may have then been moved to there carry on , they didnt have acces to there luggage again at the port due to it being loaded straightonto there ship, they couldnt retreave there wine from there bags, there wine alchol water it was, was binned, tears, screaming and all sorts happened on deck 4, welcome aboard. The crew suffered more than anyone else as dozens in anger cancelled there tips, that was wrong in my opinion but thats what went on.

Cruise Critic Summarizes all cruise lines alcohol policies at: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=46

Almost all cruise lines have the same policy as Princess. Some enforce the policy rigidly
others
do not. Any of them may change its enforcement at any time.

As for the pricing of bar drinks, most cruise lines (including Princess) charge one half to in third of the prices charged at most bars in large cities. In our city a martini at a bar in a hotel costs a minimum of $12.

Without taking sides in this long running argument, if bringing alcohol aboard is the most important thing in deciding your choice of cruise line, then you should carefully read the rules laid down by that line and be prepared to comply with them. If not, choose the line by other criteria.

The passegers had pre bought duty free in the luggage, there transport arrive late to the ship, there bottle of wine may have then been moved to there carry on , they didnt have acces to there luggage again at the port due to it being loaded straightonto there ship, they couldnt retreave there wine from there bags, there wine alchol water it was, was binned, tears, screaming and all sorts happened on deck 4, welcome aboard. The crew suffered more than anyone else as dozens in anger cancelled there tips, that was wrong in my opinion but thats what went on.

Why am I not surprised about the tipping.

The passegers had pre bought duty free in the luggage...

And here is where the disconnect with the rules kicks in. If one wants to "pre-buy" alcohol for a cruise, the way to do that is to buy it from Princess's Gifts and Services, not from an airport duty-free store. If one wants to buy duty-free alcohol to take home with them, then the way to do that is to buy it in the duty-free shop after the cruise on the way home. The one thing that you do not want to do is buy it before you board the ship, as the rules clearly state that it will not be allowed on board. There is nothing in the cruise contract that says that liquor that is carried on will be stored and returned. It might be, but there are no promises. There are ample opportunities to buy duty-free while on the ship or at the airport on the way home. Trying to get bottles on to the ship at the port of embarkation is a really bad risk as the folks on your cruise found out.

Read through the previous posts and I have a few comments

TSA can search your baggage without you, on our last cruise we were flying from FLL to YYZ and every single checked bag of ours had been searched. That little note showed up in each bag and fortunately, nothing was missing.

I'm allergic to wine (I know, it sounds stupid but its real. Less than half a glass can put me in the hospital :eek:). I bring a SMALL bottle of vodka in my carry on and haven't been challenged yet. Of course, if I was I'd give it up but it would be nice if there was a provision for people who can't/don't drink wine.

On one cruise, we were in Cozumel and DH bought a large bottle of tequila for a friend of ours and a small pack of four sample size tequilas. The large bottle was seized and held until the last night of the cruise while we were allowed to take the small bottles to our room.

There are few reports on how this is handled, but what few reports there have been suggest that boxes of wine are charged on a pro rated basis as described above.

Thanks Jimmy and the other responders to my boxed wine question. And also thanks for showing restraint on my choice of libation :D.

I have never had anything taken from me while boarding a ship but I vow never to sail with them again under these circumstances. It is one thing to say there are rules but one must clarify this, in that these rules are unwelcoming and are unreasonable. Confiscate AND destroy is the most unwelcoming and hostile reception this line can offer. Having rented you a space aboard their ship, they then wish to dictate what you can and cannot drink within this space. They are saying if you want to drink you will drink in their bar at their prices take it or lump it. The consummate host? Please !!!

I'm sorry you don't like the contract rules that you are aware of before you board. It is all spelled out for you. Have a good time finding a cruise line more suitable to your liking.

And here is where the disconnect with the rules kicks in. If one wants to "pre-buy" alcohol for a cruise, the way to do that is to buy it from Princess's Gifts and Services, not from an airport duty-free store. If one wants to buy duty-free alcohol to take home with them, then the way to do that is to buy it in the duty-free shop after the cruise on the way home. The one thing that you do not want to do is buy it before you board the ship, as the rules clearly state that it will not be allowed on board. There is nothing in the cruise contract that says that liquor that is carried on will be stored and returned. It might be, but there are no promises. There are ample opportunities to buy duty-free while on the ship or at the airport on the way home. Trying to get bottles on to the ship at the port of embarkation is a really bad risk as the folks on your cruise found out.

I have to agree with you. We purchase ours from Princess gifts (cheaper by the drink than from the bars onboard).

I'm sorry you don't like the contract rules that you are aware of before you board. It is all spelled out for you. Have a good time finding a cruise line more suitable to your liking.

I think most of them where going to sail P and O.

The only way you can carry alcohol on a plane is if it is bought inside security at the airports duty free counter and delivered at boarding.

In New Hampshire, the liquor stores are state run.

Strange but true -- inside security at MHT, there is

a state liquor store, so you can purchase bottles and

take them with you.

Of course, consuming alcohol on a flight --- not provided by the flight crew

is a violation of FAA regulations.

Even stranger but true -- most states have open container

laws, and try and prevent drunk driving. New Hampshire

has state liquor stores in the highway rest areas.

I think many of our correspondents here would approve.

Edited by pablo222

Strange but true -- inside security at MHT, there is

a state liquor store, so you can purchase bottles and

take them with you.

It's that way atthe vast majority of airports. Once past security you can buy what you want and take it on board.

The problem comes when people try to take bottles/containers larger than the 100ml allowed through the security points.

The better airport duty free shops will ask where you are travelling to and if you have a connecting flight will stop you from buying your drinks as at the connecting aiport you have to go through security again. That security will then take your purchases as you have purchased them 'before security'.

Completely mad in my opinion, and the sooner the new scanners are installed that can detect suspect liquids the better.

Is Princess the only cruise line that destroys your property, I know other lines do it if its not in its original container, but Princess does it regardless.

I guess I dont see why Princess would have to offer up any alternatives, such as storing it and returning it, since that's a hassle being forced upon them by people violating the rules. Id say that destroying it also is a far more effective deterrent than saying "you cant bring it on, but if you do, no biggie, youll get it back at the end of the trip."