Alcohol Confiscated - Caught !!

cruisesusie

They should not search your bag without you there! They could lay themselves open to charges of theft, if you claimed something else was missing from your bag! Know they have a stated alcohol policy which should be adhered to by passengers but that does not excuse the cruiseline security staff going into anyone's bag.

Read your cruise contract. They can search your bags for any reason just like the airlines.

Well we've been cruising a long time. One thing that hasn't changed much is the cruise fare itself. A few years ago I came across some of my old itineries and back in the early 80s we paid around the same cruise dollar amount as we do now. True, back then we didn't get nickled and dimed and we also paid a much larger percentage of money. I think the bill was around $3000 for the cruise itself for 3 people in a 4 single bed cabin with a porthole. They were not fancy cabins. Fast forward, we can pay $3000 for an obstructed view for 3 people today. Back then I made around $23000 a year now we make substantially more.

Also, the wine I enjoy on the ship is only around $5 more then what I can get it for at my local wine stores. Not worth paying a corkage fee when it comes to that.

What wine is that? Would love to know... thanks!

I believe the port scanners are government operated, not cruise line operated, yes? If so what are they looking for, I don't think the government cares about alcohol in your cruise carry on?

They are government operated, but it is possible for cruiseline personnel to also watch the screen.

They are government operated, but it is possible for cruiseline personnel to also watch the screen.

Has anyone actually seen alcohol confiscated at the government operated port scanner embarkation checkpoint by either government or Princess personnel before boarding the ship?

Edited by florida lover

Has anyone actually seen alcohol confiscated at the government operated port scanner embarkation checkpoint by either government or Princess personnel before boarding the ship?

No But I have talked to people who were summoned to the naughty room to explain.:D

Yup. It was Jamaica I think (or Costa Rica - same cruise, not 100 percent sure which), people were being asked to step over to the 'booze table'.

It wpould not be confiscated there. The suitcase would likely be marked to be diverted once onboard.

Yup. It was Jamaica I think (or Costa Rica - same cruise, not 100 percent sure which), people were being asked to step over to the 'booze table'.

On most port calls they set up a booze table right after the scanners to collect hard liquor for storage until the end of the cruise before returning it. I saw it on several ports on our cruise last month. However on the last port, Aruba, I had bought a liter of gin (considerably cheaper than what the ship was selling it) and expected them to take it. I put it through the scanner in the plastic bag and they did not say a word. So I took it to my stateroom for the last two sea days before arriving in FLL.

Boarding in Vancouver once they had 3 ships in Port, NCL, HAL and Princess. NCL had to go through their own line and the booze/wine was being pulled. The lines dedicated to HAL and Princess there was no issue. This was before NCL started allowing wine to be taken on.