Dress Code Question

Huxley'sCruisers

Celebrity only have 2 dress codes :

• "Smart Casual or above",
  • "Formal".

As yet they have not set a Casual or Semi-Formal.

Definitions from Debrett's
:

Debrett's - the modern authority on all matters of etiquette, social occasions, people of distinction and fine style.

Definition of "Smart Casual"
:

A dress code of smart casual requires that you look smart but not overly formal.

Men should wear a jacket or blazer and flannels or chinos, not jeans.

A shirt and tie can be worn but an open collar is also acceptable.

Women should aim to be smart in a dress or skirt and top with a jacket or smart cover-up.

Avoid sportswear and wear smart shoes, never trainers. Equally don't be too formal; hats and evening gowns will look out of place.

Definition of "Black Tie"
:

For Gentlemen

Black tie is sometimes referred to as 'dinner jackets', 'dress for dinner' and 'cravate noir' or, in America, as 'tuxedos.'

Traditional black tie for men consists of:

• Black wool dinner jacket. Single-breasted with no vents, silk peaked lapels (or a shawl collar) and covered buttons.

• Black trousers - slightly tapered - with a single row of braid down each outside leg.

• White marcella evening shirt with a soft turn-down collar, worn with cufflinks and studs.

• Black bow tie must be hand tied; avoid novelty ties or colours.

• Highly polished or patent black lace-up shoes.

• Black silk socks, long enough to ensure that no leg will show between the trouser leg and sock when seated.

• A white silk scarf is an optional but traditional accessory.

Top Tip: cummerbands or low cut black evening waistcoats are rarely worn nowadays.

• "Formal".

:

Debrett's - the modern authority on all matters of etiquette, social occasions, people of distinction and fine style.

:

A dress code of smart casual requires that you look smart but not overly formal.

Women should aim to be smart in a dress or skirt and top with a jacket or smart cover-up.

Avoid sportswear and wear smart shoes, never trainers. Equally don't be too formal; hats and evening gowns will look out of place.

Women can also wear a dressy pant suit on either formal or Smart Casual nights. Maybe a little more sparkle on Formal nights.
Edited by ccruisequeen

• "Formal".

:

:

Definition of "Black Tie"
:

For Gentlemen

Black tie is sometimes referred to as 'dinner jackets', 'dress for dinner' and 'cravate noir' or, in America, as 'tuxedos.'

Traditional black tie for men consists of:

• Black wool dinner jacket. Single-breasted with no vents, silk peaked lapels (or a shawl collar) and covered buttons.

• Black trousers - slightly tapered - with a single row of braid down each outside leg.

• White marcella evening shirt with a soft turn-down collar, worn with cufflinks and studs.

• Black bow tie must be hand tied; avoid novelty ties or colours.

• Highly polished or patent black lace-up shoes.

• Black silk socks, long enough to ensure that no leg will show between the trouser leg and sock when seated.

• A white silk scarf is an optional but traditional accessory.

Top Tip: cummerbands or low cut black evening waistcoats are rarely worn nowadays.

Celebrity used to have three dress codes for the evening, formal, semi-formal and casual. That was eliminated five years ago. Their dress code is clearly on the web site, any other definitions are irrelevant.

I respectfully disagree that this is irrelevant information -- it speaks to the style, and is instructive to those who aren't familiar with special usage as regards evening wear/formal wear.

And while the third level of dress code was officially eliminated on the US website, it continues to appear on the UK site, and there have been reports of several cruises, particularly longer cruises in the Mediterranean, where the third formal night was replaced by the mysterious "semi-formal". So I think that these discussions are useful, especially in clearing up the matter of what a "dinner jacket" is as opposed to a "sport coat" or "blazer".

Then there is a confusion over what the definition of slacks is. I found a few that define them as informal pants/trousers.

Actually, when my brother went to school in England, he was made fun of by classmates when he referred to his pants- that means undergarments in some quarters.

And I was taught that slacks were for females and trousers for men...:confused:

Ah, well. You say tomato....

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Actually, when my brother went to school in England, he was made fun of by classmates when he referred to his pants- that means undergarments in some quarters.

And I was taught that slacks were for females and trousers for men...:confused:

Ah, well. You say tomato....

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Yes the English language can have different meanings from one country to another.

What is your source?

Merriam-Webster Collegiate for one. "trousers esp. for casual wear.". Look I don't have a horse in this race. We will never be turned away from the MDR for improper dress. I do think the example of "dinner jacket and slacks" is confusing and have seen in the Celebrity Today the word "dinner" omitted.

Edited by Oville

I am sorry to say this, but I think Dinner suits are becoming a thing of the past. I couldn't help notice on the last Princess Cruise we did, that people mainly dressed in very smart casual, which made the old fashioned dinner suit look "old"

Come on guys, lets get with the times, and start dressing accordingly.

I respectfully disagree that this is irrelevant information -- it speaks to the style, and is instructive to those who aren't familiar with special usage as regards evening wear/formal wear.

And while the third level of dress code was officially eliminated on the US website, it continues to appear on the UK site, and there have been reports of several cruises, particularly longer cruises in the Mediterranean, where the third formal night was replaced by the mysterious "semi-formal". So I think that these discussions are useful, especially in clearing up the matter of what a "dinner jacket" is as opposed to a "sport coat" or "blazer".

I also respectfully disagree, it is irrelevant information as far as trying to define clothes on a Celebrity cruise. Celebrity has the only definition that matters and anything else is just confusing. I have seen people post things on here from somebody's definition which is contrary to what Celebrity requests. For example in the above post they state that smart casual requires a jacket and does not include jeans. That is absolutely contrary to what Celebrity wants.

Also, I believe the three types of dress were finally removed from the UK web site about 6 months ago.

Edited by dkjretired

I'm not sure who you asked, but a dinner jacket is not synonymous with a sport coat or blazer. Think James Bond -- those white coats he wore on many occasions were dinner jackets -- more like a tuxedo jacket than a sport coat or a blazer.

Have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuxedo

But you will not be turned away because your sport coat is not

a "dinner jacket".

Gosh, this topic certainly gets a bashing?

I guess the older cruisers who were used to wearing formal wear, still want to embrace it, however, with the new generation of cruisers (much younger-with a different outlook) they "want" to dress differently, ie. smart casual - nice trousers/shirt etc that looks smart, and they want to feel comfortable in what they wear.

hated wearing a dinner suit in the past.

P.S. - I stopped wearing suits some 9 years ago, but I do have a suit on hand for weddings & funerals, that's about all.

Edited by Widebay
missed a few words in the text

I stopped wearing suits some 9 years ago, but I do have a suit on hand for weddings & funerals, that's about all.

My husband is the same way. If I told him that he would have to wear a suit to dinner on the cruise, it would be a deal-breaker - we wouldn't be going. So, I booked us into AQ. I actually would have liked an excuse to buy fancy dresses and they are fun to wear, but we just don't dress like that ever. Waste of money and room in the suitcases.

And I had no idea what a dinner jacket was, or after hearing they are the white James Bond jackets - do people even still wear those? So, I do think this conversation has been interesting and enlightening, but I'm glad we don't have to worry about it. I'll just keep dh from wearing shorts, flip flops, a baseball hat, or tank top to Blu and we will hopefully be okay. :)

Gosh, this topic certainly gets a bashing?

I guess the older cruisers who were used to wearing formal wear, still want to embrace it, however, with the new generation of cruisers (much younger-with a different outlook) they "want" to dress differently, ie. smart casual - nice trousers/shirt etc that looks smart, and they want to feel comfortable in what they wear.

hated wearing a dinner suit in the past.

P.S. - I stopped wearing suits some 9 years ago, but I do have a suit on hand for weddings & funerals, that's about all.

I understand your P.S. and totally agree. Must add however I am in the "older cruiser" group, being 80, but we like to relax also. I would love to see the formal nites reduced to one per cruise if the cruise is a month or more

Is renting a tux an option on Celebrity? This is the plan that the men in my party have decided on for formal nights.

The cruise line certainly does rent Tux's for formal night. That and all the photos taken are a huge money-maker. That fact is probably one of the driving reasons for still having formal nights.

And I had no idea what a dinner jacket was, or after hearing they are the white James Bond jackets - do people even still wear those?

English - the language - is fascinating. So many different words, accents, and dialects. The "dinner jacket" language in the dress code has been there for a long time and was probably added to clarify and, instead, confuses as much as it clarifies.

The term "tuxedo" is an Americanism that was named for a town in suburban New York City. The British and Australians use "dinner suit" or "dinner jacket."

I understand your P.S. and totally agree. Must add however I am in the "older cruiser" group, being 80, but we like to relax also. I would love to see the formal nites reduced to one per cruise if the cruise is a month or more

My parents are in their active 80's and dad has always fussed about formal night. He has a nice business suit for formal night because he can wear it to board so it doesn't wrinkle in a suitcase. He refuses to pack a tux.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg "I can see Carnival Miracle and Inspiration from my porch" (to paraphrase Tina Fey as S. Palin)

I still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams!)

I have nothing against people wearing a dinner suit on a cruise ship, its just I haven't got room in my bags to take a normal suit with me, as we will be staying in Waikiki for a few days before the cruise back to Australia, and my wife & I like to travel "light". So to carry an extra luggage like a dinner suit just to be worn 2 nights on a transpacific cruise, is a waste of time forus.

Celebrity should change the itinerary, and instead of having formal nights, we should have "Hawaiian shirt/clothing night" - now that would be fun. Prizes for the loudest/colourful shirt or dress. Imagine the colour in the main dining room that night, wow!

I think I will pack one of my very very colourful Hawaiian shirts in, just for fun.I will have to be careful - the shirt can be very "blinding" to others!

Well, I have booked one shore excursion with Celebrity (Bora Bora) and another with a private operator in Papeete (he doesn't want the money until we arrive at dockside on the day)

We liked the look of another shore excursion which Celebrity has on their website - Stand up paddle boarding down a serene river in Noumea.

Something different. Last time we visited Noumea on the Sun Princess, we got the Noumea Explorer Bus (hop on, hop off), and went down to Anse Vate Beach for a swim - quite nice, then afterwards we had a coffee in the one of beachside cafes.

I have a closet full of very nice dark business suits etc. Have not worn them since I retired three years ago.

I have absolutely NO intention of dragging them along on our travels, ......including a cruise vacation. Formal evenings in the MDR are no longer anything special for us. One of the reasons we like Celebrity is the options that they provide for on formal evenings.

Besides, the more we travel the less we want to pack.

I have a closet full of very nice dark business suits etc. Have not worn them since I retired three years ago.

I have absolutely NO intention of dragging them along on our travels, ......including a cruise vacation. Formal evenings in the MDR are no longer anything special for us. One of the reasons we like Celebrity is the options that they provide for on formal evenings.

Besides, the more we travel the less we want to pack.

But...but...but, you won't be "in with the in crowd."

You could be shunned by the sophisticatedly fashionable.

You could be looked down upon by the tres chic style conscious.

PLEASE, for the sake of civility and cultured behavior, I beg you to reconsider such a rash decision.

Guilty as charged m'Lord and I throw myself on the mercy of the court.

But we have no intention of changing. There are many, many of us out there. I suspect that we are the silent majority who are not afraid of such adverse social comment and who are not bothered by non conformity. Unless of course...DW decides otherwise!

Edited by iancal

Celebrity should change the itinerary, and instead of having formal nights, we should have "Hawaiian shirt/clothing night" - now that would be fun. Prizes for the loudest/colourful shirt or dress. Imagine the colour in the main dining room that night, wow!

We cruised the Celebrity Meridian and the Horizon in the early 90's and they had several theme nights (western, Caribbean, 50's) that included the entertainment for that evening, food in each venue, drinks, etc...lots of fun. They had formal nights, too, but the theme nights seemed to be enjoyed by more people. Of course, there were really no luggage restrictions then and we packed one large suitcase with nothing but formal and theme night clothing. And I'm happy to now be packing/lugging less...formal nights are no longer a priority. ~~Judy