A few HAL Questions: HAL hotels, SC class Eurodam, wine..

My family and I have sailed on HAL 3 times. We are heading out on the Eurodam on 16 March for a Caribbean sailing. A few quick questions...

We have never got a hotel through HAL, but if I understand correctly, if you do then HAL will pick you up from the hotel and they can just load your luggage at the hotel. Is this true? I don't mean just transport it, but if you put your tags on then after you get it on the bus that is the last you have to see of it before you arrive in your room? Also, if I book at one of the HAL hotels in FLL can I use my hotel points but still get the HAL bus?

We are getting an SC suite on this cruise! We got a great rate, never been in anything so nice. We are pretty year the Neptune lounge. I have read all about these rooms and the Neptune lounge, but would really like to hear some first hand accounts. How is it? Also, can it sleep 4? Right now we are only 3, but might add a guest.

It seems HALs alcohol policy is changing. We are getting some of the cards for the 4 x 4 promotion. Can you bring a bottle of wine or two on board.

And finally, any information on the Eurodam would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

We have never got a hotel through HAL, but if I understand correctly, if you do then HAL will pick you up from the hotel and they can just load your luggage at the hotel. Is this true? I don't mean just transport it, but if you put your tags on then after you get it on the bus that is the last you have to see of it before you arrive in your room? Also, if I book at one of the HAL hotels in FLL can I use my hotel points but still get the HAL bus?

You can book your hotel on your own, and still book a HAL transfer to the pier. Yes, your luggage will be collected (either from your room, or at the bus), then taken care of fully until it's delivered to your cabin.

But in Fort Lauderdale, it's just as easy to take a taxi to the pier. Depending on where the hotel is, it will probably be less expensive, too.

It seems HALs alcohol policy is changing. We are getting some of the cards for the 4 x 4 promotion. Can you bring a bottle of wine or two on board.

As of right now, the wine policy when you board will be one bottle per person, at embarkation only.

You can book your hotel on your own, and still book a HAL transfer to the pier. Yes, your luggage will be collected (either from your room, or at the bus), then taken care of fully until it's delivered to your cabin.

But in Fort Lauderdale, it's just as easy to take a taxi to the pier. Depending on where the hotel is, it will probably be less expensive, too.

As of right now, the wine policy when you board will be one bottle per person, at embarkation only.

GREAT. I know my wife and father-in-law would love the luggage service, even if the hotels are a bit more expensive. I use affinity points for the rooms anyway. And a bottle of wine sounds good! I don't drink that much anyway!!!!

Bryan

We book our own hotels and air flights to Ft Lauderdale -- way cheaper than using HAL's hotels and air (which can be crappy).

We always stay at the Embassy Suites on 17th Street -- full breakfast -- managers cocktail party each evening.

We do not use HAL transfers -- way cheaper to just take a taxi -- there are plenty of them at the airport and the hotels and the piers.

Have sailed on the Eurodam and there are no SC cabins near the Neptune Lounge. It is great for a casual breakfast and snacks all day. Open from 7 AM until 8 PM.

One specialty restaurant you need to try is the Tamarind Restaurant -- Pan Asian food -- we love it!!

None of the SC suites are near the Neptune, unless they moved since our July cruise on Eurodam. All SCs are on the stern.

The rated capacity for the cabin is on the HAL website. If you are booked in with 3, then the capacity is at least 3, but doesn't mean it will accept 4. They will not allow you to go over the rated capacity.

As others have mentioned, it is easy to book hotels and take taxis on your own in Ft Lauderdale. Perhaps one of the easiest cruise ports. Chances are excellent you will be able to save a lot of money over HAL's rates by booking on your own and taking a taxi. Lots of info on this over on the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

We are getting an SC suite on this cruise! We got a great rate, never been in anything so nice. We are pretty year the Neptune lounge. I have read all about these rooms and the Neptune lounge, but would really like to hear some first hand accounts. How is it? Also, can it sleep 4? Right now we are only 3, but might add a guest.

If you booked an SC cabin, you won't be "pretty near" the Neptune Lounge, as least as far as Neptune Suites' being close to the NL. The SCs are the Neptune Suites that are the farthest from the NL. I don't really care about being next door to the NL, so we've got an SC Guarantee for our next Eurodam cruise. If we're upgraded, great; if not, we'll burn some calories as we walk to the NL for snacks. ;)

Because of the configuration of the SCs, they hold only three passengers, I think. (Someone will correct me in seconds if I don't have this right.)

A taxi is a nominal cost - we far prefer it to lining up and waiting at a bus.

Works out just fine - however, if your preference is to have your luggage collected you will be fine whether you book your hotel with HAL or do your own booking and get their transfer.

If I recall correctly, the transfer last time we were going was $19 pp. to the airport. (not to mention the wait). A taxi is around $15 - $20 for two (or more).

Whatever you decide have a great cruise:D

and yes, the policy has changed as to wine - it appears you will be able to bring on bottle each on board so far.

None of the SC suites are near the Neptune, unless they moved since our July cruise on Eurodam. All SCs are on the stern.

The rated capacity for the cabin is on the HAL website. If you are booked in with 3, then the capacity is at least 3, but doesn't mean it will accept 4. They will not allow you to go over the rated capacity.

As others have mentioned, it is easy to book hotels and take taxis on your own in Ft Lauderdale. Perhaps one of the easiest cruise ports. Chances are excellent you will be able to save a lot of money over HAL's rates by booking on your own and taking a taxi. Lots of info on this over on the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Sorry, I messed up, it is SA. The cabin number is something like 7048.

I will book the hotel with loyalty points. My wife and father-in-law were wild about the luggage delivery, for some reason.

Sorry, I messed up, it is SA. The cabin number is something like 7048.

I will book the hotel with loyalty points. My wife and father-in-law were wild about the luggage delivery, for some reason.

SA is an entirely different situation.

We haven't done cruise line hotels and transfers in many a moon. Again, Ft Lauderdale is probably one of the easiest cruise ports. $15 taxi to the hotel. $15 taxi to the port. If you travel a lot, you know that is close, and if you have hotel points to use, MANY opportunities in Ft Lauderdale to use them and save a bundle.

HAL (and the other cruise lines also)on the other hand will charge you per person, what you will cost you for your entire group.

Archived