Separate cabin for teens, can i use my key card to access cabin?

Guest services will issue keys. Our were marked "Spare Key" and had no charging privileges. Note: If you want to be sure your kids stay in the cabin at night have them turn in their keys to you each night when they turn in. :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

Guest services will issue keys. Our were marked "Spare Key" and had no charging privileges. Note: If you want to be sure your kids stay in the cabin at night have them turn in their keys to you each night when they turn in. :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

Thanks, sounds like a good idea

I have booked two cabins opposite each other, one for us and other for our teen children.

Does anyone know if our keycard for our room could also be used to access their room and vice versa?

Gilly

no. you will need to get a separate card that allows you to open the other cabin.

So glad the OP asked this question and so many great answers were posted! This is exactly what we're doing on the Allure next month. It's our first cruise w/RCI and first time booking our boys in a separate stateroom. Even the tip about taking their keys for the night is a good one, not that I think we need to but I know it would've been necessary for me when I was my boys' ages. LOL! Think I'll bring some cords to attach to the extra room keys and hang in the opposing rooms. Guest Services can punch holes in the extra keys for me, right?

So glad the OP asked this question and so many great answers were posted! This is exactly what we're doing on the Allure next month. It's our first cruise w/RCI and first time booking our boys in a separate stateroom. Even the tip about taking their keys for the night is a good one, not that I think we need to but I know it would've been necessary for me when I was my boys' ages. LOL! Think I'll bring some cords to attach to the extra room keys and hang in the opposing rooms. Guest Services can punch holes in the extra keys for me, right?

Yes guest services will be more than happy to punch holes in the cards for you.

We did this with my DD and her BFF when we took them for their 16th birthday. Also recommend post its and a pen....we were able to leave notes on each other's mirrors...like "dinner at 7:30", "be ready by 3", "we're in the solarium", etc. They had a key card to our cabin and we to theirs.

As others say, it is very easy to get blank keys from guest services once on board :)

Post it notes on mirrors are a great way to stay in touch. I wanted to point out that you can also call the rooms from other room and also from house phones located all over the ship in public areas. We have the kids leave voicemails if they are leaving the teem club with friends to go hang out in the buffet, or play ping pong, etc. That way they don't have the leave the group, but can still let us know where to find them.

Personally, I do not take the kids' keys from them at night. Luckily I feel I can trust my kids--and it would seem to me, that if they were likely to sneak out, they could do so by taking turns on who stays behind to let the other in, or trying to prop open the door, etc--and either of those (going out alone, as opposed to together or leaving access to the room) would be more dangerous. Besides, they could stop by guest services at any other time and ask for another blank key to their room that you'd never know about.

Mostly, though, I want them to have their own key cards and know where they are at all times in the event of an emergency. Less time spent looking for those would be better in the event of having to go to muster stations, etc.

As others say, it is very easy to get blank keys from guest services once on board :)

Post it notes on mirrors are a great way to stay in touch. I wanted to point out that you can also call the rooms from other room and also from house phones located all over the ship in public areas. We have the kids leave voicemails if they are leaving the teem club with friends to go hang out in the buffet, or play ping pong, etc. That way they don't have the leave the group, but can still let us know where to find them.

Personally, I do not take the kids' keys from them at night. Luckily I feel I can trust my kids--and it would seem to me, that if they were likely to sneak out, they could do so by taking turns on who stays behind to let the other in, or trying to prop open the door, etc--and either of those (going out alone, as opposed to together or leaving access to the room) would be more dangerous. Besides, they could stop by guest services at any other time and ask for another blank key to their room that you'd never know about.

Mostly, though, I want them to have their own key cards and know where they are at all times in the event of an emergency. Less time spent looking for those would be better in the event of having to go to muster stations, etc.

Good post! Thanks!!

I also would like to thank the OP for asking this question here. We are doing the same thing on Allure in May.

A great way to communicate is radios.... and you can find people out and about the boat. ...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

No No No No No!!! My pet hate is lying by the pool having a great time and next thing this voice comes booming across someones radio, or worse still pointless screaming!

If your going to have them, keep them turned down or use earpieces. Or use something like these that sends texts over the two way system

http://www.amazon.com/TriSquare-TSX300-2VP-Digital-Charcoal-Metallic/dp/B000WY8JRU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307302694&sr=8-2-spell

We did this with my DD and her BFF when we took them for their 16th birthday. Also recommend post its and a pen....we were able to leave notes on each other's mirrors...like "dinner at 7:30", "be ready by 3", "we're in the solarium", etc. They had a key card to our cabin and we to theirs.

Yes, this is what we have always done. We have a card to the kids cabin and they have one for ours. We set times and places to meet and if anything changes leave post its on the mirrors. Some will put message boards on their doors but personally I do not want anyone else knowing where my kids or I am. I see way too much info sometimes on those boards around the ship.

Yes, this is what we have always done. We have a card to the kids cabin and they have one for ours. We set times and places to meet and if anything changes leave post its on the mirrors. Some will put message boards on their doors but personally I do not want anyone else knowing where my kids or I am. I see way too much info sometimes on those boards around the ship.

That and any prankster can erase important info. Best to put the dry erase boards inside the rooms. ;)

No problem getting the key from Guest Services. There is a teen curfew at 1am. After that time they need to be in the Living Room or with an adult. If not security will send them back to their cabin.

I am glad to know there is a curfew! Is it fleetwide? And what is the Living Room?

Yes, the curfew is fleetwide. The living room is a teen area.

Thank you! I'm sure my 15 year old daughter will give the excuse for being past curfew that it took 30 minutes to get from the teen area to our room. I'll have to map out that route.

Archived