Do all RC ships have solarium?

Hi there-not new to cruising but new to RC. I like the adults only solarium concept on the RC ships. Do all RC ships have them? Are some nicer than others? Do they get super crowded? How strictly do they enforce the adults only? Thanks and happy cruising

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Hi there-not new to cruising but new to RC. I like the adults only solarium concept on the RC ships. Do all RC ships have them? Are some nicer than others? Do they get super crowded? How strictly do they enforce the adults only? Thanks and happy cruising.

Only Majesty is without a solarium. The ones on Vision and Radiance class have retactable glass covers. The ones on Voyager and Freedom class don't have covers. The ones on Oasis class are sort of semi covered with glass, but still get uncomfortably warm inside.

Hi there-not new to cruising but new to RC. I like the adults only solarium concept on the RC ships. Do all RC ships have them? Are some nicer than others? Do they get super crowded? How strictly do they enforce the adults only? Thanks and happy cruising

The Solarium is a wonderful concept! I love it! They do enforce the rules. about adults only. It's quiet and really no reason any children would want to be in there. The young adults prefer the action of the pool, too.

I go from the tranquility of the Solarium to the regular pool for contests, etc. with all of the noise and fun and then retreat back to the peacefulness in the Solarium.

Only Majesty is without a solarium. The ones on Vision and Radiance class have retactable glass covers. The ones on Voyager and Freedom class don't have covers. The ones on Oasis class are sort of semi covered with glass, but still get uncomfortably warm inside.

I'm a big fan of fully enclosed solariums, as we do a lot of cruises that are not on the Caribbean.

IMHO:

Radiance class - the best. nicely decorated, but different on each ship. Full glass cover for bad and cool weather. Each has a cute bridge going over the pool.

Vision class - Not as quite as fancy as Radiance, but full retractible cover. Park Café for those roast beef sandwiches. My 2nd favorite.

Oasis class - Wow, beautifully decorated, has its own "healthy" buffet. A shame they didn't add more glass for a full cover. If it rains, you'll get wet.

Freedom/Voyager - a nice adult area, but no cover, so no refuge from cold weather at all.

Freedom class has those great hot tubs on each side that hang over the water.

Quantum - sure it will be spectacular. Full coverage?

Adult only for the pool and adjacent hot tubs/seating only.. NOT the park cafe for those ships that have them.

that means if you want a true CF experience you will NOT get it in the Solarium as the Park Cafe is open to all and yes the kids hang out at the tables that are placed on the other side of the low barrier.

furthermore in crappy weather or cold climates the will allow kids in the pool at certain hours of the day( and it may or may not be enforced outside of that time frame)

Only Disney is consistent and insistent that Adult only areas remain that way.

I could not believe how crowded the solarium on the Allure was.....you got in the pool and you were neck to neck with the next person.

The water looked like it was a rinse off for sun tan lotion, really murky.

Did not enjoy it there and left.

Sea Ya

For the most part, I've seen them enforce, even from arguing parents, the adult only rule. Why parents insist on taking their kids there is beyond me. Maybe they like to irritate other.

As someone mentioned, in cold climates, they may allow kids in during certain hours.

On days when weather was inclement, I have been very impressed at how well most parents observed the two hour allowance and packed up their kids and things when the allotted time was over. There have been a few occasions when we saw parents who apparently believed that the rules didn't apply to them but pool crew was fairly consistent in requiring that they leave the area.

I think that RCI's policy is a reasonable one.:)

• 3 months later...
Solarium on Allure is gorgeous and the cafe is nice, but it was so windy all the time that I couldn't tolerate being there.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone say this. :confused: 4x on Oasis Class and I wished there would have been wind in there. It seemed like it was always hot. There are a few windows that open across the front glass, but they weren't enough to get the breeze blowing through there.

Edited by Aquahound

AWESOME. Have to sharpen my claws before we land in SJ then.. lol

Is there a package you can purchase to have "hog-less" use? or when do YOU suggest best time to visit the Solarium would be, to ensure a seat?

No packages that I've ever heard of.

Timing depends on itinerary and how many chairs you want. On a sea day, I'd get there before 7am if you want two chairs together.

No packages that I've ever heard of.

Timing depends on itinerary and how many chairs you want. On a sea day, I'd get there before 7am if you want two chairs together.

I might just become a chair hog myself then.. lol not by choice, but good thing I'm an early riser up at 5am every morning.

Monarch didn't have one.

You are correct. clarea pointed out that Majesty doesn't have one, but the broader answer is that none of the three Sovereign class ships had them. My guess is he only referenced Majesty as that is the only remaining Sovereign class ship sailing with RCI.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We love the solariums and spend a lot of time there.

Best thing for enforcement? Politely ask if you don't see it happening. I've had a lot of success with that. "Excuse me. I don't see anyone pointing those kids to the exit. Could you have someone remind them this area is for adults?" usually works great for me.

Our last trip on Enchantment had hundreds and hundreds of South American girls celebrating their quinceañera (15th birthday is the big deal birthday for most Hispanic cultures) and a few of them wandered in a few times. The staff were on them quickly, but once a few snuck in and were playing cat & mouse with the staff. I grabbed a nice Jamaican gal with a booming voice who said "sure, I'll handle it right away" and ran them out.

Edited by poncho1973