Land Tours

ellbon

Hello Land Tour Pundits -

It's interesting to read your ideas and opinions about how our Land Discoveries shore excursions are developed and operated.

As I mentioned earlier to Ellbon (Oct 9) on this thread, I've shared your inferences from your most recent actual experiences for a "fact-check" from our global tour operations management team as well as with shipboard operations in Miami and onboard. Also, I've included the more recent observations.

Please stay tuned for these forthcoming responses from the team. In the meantime, I reiterate that Land Discoveries is a top priority for us - because they make such a big difference in how you experience the destinations and whether you will vacation again on Azamara. Again, thank you for your the and effort to share your feedback!

Thanks for your continued patience.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

We found with some of the ship's tours that if the vendor has smaller buses, you will have smaller groups. When there is a big bus...they want to fill it with more people and the groups are larger. We have always prefered to do our own thing because with the few ship's tours we booked - we were always on the bus waiting for someone who returned late. There are some places that you really do not have any options besides the ship's tour. ( we found this in some of the Norwegian Fjords ports and Novorossiysk, Russia) Our winery tour in Novorossiysk had 3 buses with about 45 people on each bus. The winery had only one person that spoke English and they split us up into groups and we had to sit outside and wait while part of the group was inside on the tour. Since we could not go anywhere without a Visa, we all ended up sitting around for well over an hour waiting for the other tours to finish.

Robin...I think you are confusing the Alcazar with the Alhambra. The Alcazar is in Seville and the Alhambra in Granada. :)

[quote=nonrev1;4032826

Robin...I think you are confusing the Alcazar with the Alhambra. The Alcazar is in Seville and the Alhambra in Granada. :)

I walked to the Alcazar and really enjoyed the grounds and the rooms as they were built at different times.

Alhambra i went with the extra large ships tour. .rented an audio guide and wandered back to the bus at some point.

thanks for the update..

Hello -

Just to let you know that I'll be receiving some information about our land program operation and should be able to share it with you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello -

Just to let you know that I'll be receiving some information about our land program operation and should be able to share it with you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

YEA!!! i m a trying to find more private tours for winter now-some countries you just feel safer in a group than alone.

We generally prefer private tours; however, on this Summer's Norwegian Fjord cruise we used primarily Azamara tours (about 7) because most of the ports lacked the tourist infrastructure necessary for private tours. After the Norwegian Fjords cruise, we continued on the Hamburg to London cruise and used two more ship's tours. We have some comments from our experience on these two cruises, albeit from perhaps a small (9 tour) sample:

1. We agree the tour size could be smaller, although our buses were not filled to capacity. There were a few empty seats in the back on most tours.

2. The guides were all good to very good with excellent English.

3. The tours did not waste a lot of time with souvenir shopping stops.

4. We did not have any canceled tours.

5. We used the 25% discount for pre-booking and thought the pricing was on the high side. If we had paid list price, we would have felt Azamara was price gouging.

6. Liesl and her "shore excursions" staff were very helpful in addressing our questions. Her presentations provided useful information. Additionally, on the Norwegian Fjords cruise, Azamara had a representative from the tour company on the ship advising passengers on sea days and at other times. This was very helpful to us as we planned an independent day in Bergen and some free time in a couple of other ports with her assistance.

7. Maybe slightly off topic but both Azamazing Evenings were disappointing. In Alesund (Norwegian Fjords), the venue was too small and the entertainment mediocre. In Oslo (Hamburg to London), the venue, an open air museum, was good but poor planning resulted in confused tours and chaotic food service. This culminated with high school age entertainers. Not exactly the way to distinguish the Azamara brand.

7. Maybe slightly off topic but both Azamazing Evenings were disappointing. In Alesund (Norwegian Fjords), the venue was too small and the entertainment mediocre. In Oslo (Hamburg to London), the venue, an open air museum, was good but poor planning resulted in confused tours and chaotic food service. This culminated with high school age entertainers. Not exactly the way to distinguish the Azamara brand.

well... this is disappointing news... thanks for your mini review tho

well... this is disappointing news... thanks for your mini review tho

To be fair, the Azamazing Evenings have had mixed reviews. Some evenings have been reported as exceptional. Unfortunately, there have been several, including the two we did that were poor. It posed a dilemma for me regarding our next two cruises beginning in February, 2014. Should we skip the evenings? Not a dilemma for my wife, she said we are signing up for them because we've "invested" in the mediocre ones, she wants to do a good one. We'll see. If you check the member reviews, several discuss the their evening in detail.

Bill,

FWIW, for us a small group size is fundamental for an enjoyable tour. Which is why we only set up independent tours, or go on independent tours set up by others. For us, ten is about the maximum. We have had wonderful experiences all over the world with companions we've only met on cruise critic, and tour operators we've only read about and corresponded with. I've even set up small group tours in Gambia and Togo, so it's not just the more well known spots. I'm sure Robin remembers the delightful time we had with Levi in Dominica with a ten person group (we'd both toured separately with Levi before).

The only time we've taken an Azamara tour was to the Copper Canyon from Topolobampo, when after much research, I discovered there was no way to do it on our own. The trip was very expensive, but it was VERY well done and we enjoyed the day thoroughly.

We realize the cruise lines need profit centers, but our experience across the many cruise lines we travel on, is that the profit centers are too greedy.

We echo those who prefer small groups, and if we knew in advance that the group size would be "small," and that there was no danger in the tour being cancelled, we would at least consider AZ tours as an option.

Again, FWIW,

Bruce (and Gail)

Bill,

FWIW, for us a small group size is fundamental for an enjoyable tour. Which is why we only set up independent tours, or go on independent tours set up by others. For us, ten is about the maximum. We have had wonderful experiences all over the world with companions we've only met on cruise critic, and tour operators we've only read about and corresponded with. I've even set up small group tours in Gambia and Togo, so it's not just the more well known spots. I'm sure Robin remembers the delightful time we had with Levi in Dominica with a ten person group (we'd both toured separately with Levi before).

The only time we've taken an Azamara tour was to the Copper Canyon from Topolobampo, when after much research, I discovered there was no way to do it on our own. The trip was very expensive, but it was VERY well done and we enjoyed the day thoroughly.

We realize the cruise lines need profit centers, but our experience across the many cruise lines we travel on, is that the profit centers are too greedy.

We echo those who prefer small groups, and if we knew in advance that the group size would be "small," and that there was no danger in the tour being cancelled, we would at least consider AZ tours as an option.

Again, FWIW,

Bruce (and Gail)

Bruce, we're thinking of taking the same excursion to Copper Canyon. I've read mixed reviews about it. What did you like most about it? Was the length of the day a problem? What about the lengthy bus rides to and from the train? Thanks for any insights you can give.

mare

Agree totally with all the comments from Taxjam as we were also on the Norwegian Fjords cruise this year. A fabulous cruise however quite a few of the shore excursions were too big and the excursion in Tromso was the worst of the lot!!! For our next cruise in 2014 we have decided to do perhaps one Az short excursion and see the rest with a private company. As we will be travelling with another couple again, this cost will be shared by 4 and think that a better option for us. Totally "over" large groups!!!!!

Couldn't agree more re Azamazing evening in Alesund and we left after 10 mins in that very hot, packed and dreadful venue. More fun back on the ship by far!!!

Think we will forgo the event next cruise!!!!

Bill,

Bruce (and Gail)

Too true.....how does the cruise industry not get this??

my A evenings were great but the bus rides!!! loved the 2 i could walk too and one bus ride i survived as the music and sit down dinner was great.

wish i was going to Belfast next summer as i have Great reviews on it.

Hello -

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Did the reply come to this....

Im very interested

Bruce, we're thinking of taking the same excursion to Copper Canyon. I've read mixed reviews about it. What did you like most about it? Was the length of the day a problem? What about the lengthy bus rides to and from the train? Thanks for any insights you can give.

mare

Hello Mare,

If you like, email me at brucedodge at comcast point net, and I'll give you more detail, but the Reader's Digest version is:

Yes it's a very long day -- leave before the sun comes up and arrive back at the ship after the sun has set. Lots of sleeping on the bus to/from the train. One reason the cost is high is that the train is chartered. The train ride is as interesting as the canyon itself -- countless bridges and tunnels (at one point the train does a 360 degree climbing turn inside a mountain!!). The program at the top was varied and well done, including Indian dancing and games, lunch and a tram ride over part of the canyon. On the train ride back, it was singing, dancing (kind of), and party time. If someone didn't enjoy the day he/she didn't express it to us.

Bruce

Hello Azamara Land Tour Followers -

I've received information from our marketing and global tour operations management teams about future enhancements planned to differentiate our Land Discoveries shore excursions, AzAmazing Evenings and night tours in 2014.

OUR FOCUS WILL BE TO CREATE AND IMPLEMENT EXPERIENCES THAT WILL DELIVER:

§ Personalized experiences.

§ Small-intimate guided groups.

§ Night touring and Evening events.

§ Social interaction with the people of the destinations.

CATEGORY OF EXPERIENCES:

#1 / Azamara "core" Land Tours - focus on content highlights for each destination but design and feature a unique variation for each Royal Caribbean Ltd brand. Revisit minimum pricing level within the context of the 25% Land Discoveries Savings.

#2 / Create a "new" series of smaller Azamara social immersion tours - "Signature or Insiders" (special name TBD)" - with approximately 20 guests or less.

- These smaller guided groups will feature interaction with the guests and guides; use smaller vehicles and be branded to highlight the benefit of a deeper cultural immersion with the locals.

- Current plans set program availability for the 2014 European season sometime in February 2014. (subject to change.)

#3 / Azamazing Evening Events (AEE)

The previously published 2014 AzAmazing Evening Events have been retooled to improve the efficiency in delivering the experiential "wow" or "cultural" element by reducing the program duration and providing a single-themed experience.

- Moved majority of events to after dinner to improve guest satisfaction.

- Enables guests to consider longer shore excursions - reduction of competitive choices.

- Select event by optimal port and improved service delivery with removal of tender ports.

- Some events moved to onboard vessel.

#4 / Night Touring

There are 21 night tours that are offered in 2014 that take place after dinner:

- Most tours have been shortened to 3 hours or less.

- Experiences must be logistically close to vessel.

- The themes will be single focused and target “Arts and Cocktails.”

I would like to reiterate that as an onboard guest, please be sure to provide your constructive feedback when you experience a shore excursion operation that falls below your expectations to our onboard team and/or in your comment cards. By doing so, our onboard shore excursion operation is able to provide feedback directly to our tour operators through our onboard management team and/or shoreside operation.

Our operating management philosophy is to encourage our leadership teams onboard to feel empowered to take ownership of a given problem when it occurs onboard and to use the management structure in place to affect change. It is within this context that we instruct our staff never to suggest to a guest to post the problem online (Cruise Critic or Facebook) to fast-forward it to a higher-level of attention. It is critical for our continued guest satisfaction that we reinforce the notion of quality customer service and taking ownership of a problem through our management structure.

As more information becomes available about these land tour enhancements I will share that information on this thread.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill

Thanks for your take on changes.

It does not really answer the question as to who/why tours were cancelled.

At what %age of bus capacity do Azamara decide to cancel?

90/75 /50/or 33.

Unless passengers can have some reassurance then Azamara might as well stop offering tours or perhaps create a bespoke appearance and include all tours in the price

Cue 50% rise in rates!!

Similarly now you are offering smaller tours of approx 20 again at what point do they get cancelled.

Obviously Miami have an edict re percentage Can it be shared

Thanks Bill for that information. It will be interesting to see how it pans out in 2014.

However if Miami think they can prevent guests from posting their dissatisfaction with cancelled, expensive or badly organised land tours on Cruise Critic then they will always be mistaken!

A private tour of 6-8 people with a guide who goes where they want him to go, and for the time they want to spend there, will always be preferable to a ships tour so something extra will have to be offered. That could be the price.....I know we took several ships tours when the half price offer was on and that's not something we would normally do.

The Night Tours sound interesting and the rethink on the organisation of Azamazing Evenings is a good thing, given the variability of the success of them. I must say that our Three Tenors Evening in Livorno last week was a triumph of organisation and a thoroughly enjoyable experience for all. Well Done to Philip Herbert and all his staff. He seemed to be everywhere checking on things and sorting out any minor problems. I heard nothing but praise for the whole event.

What is very apparent to me.....and this relates to practically every onboard issue and not just tours, is that Miami should stop interfering and trying to micromanage issues onboard. They have the best officers and crew at sea.....let them deal with onboard decisions without having to constantly "speak to Miami" first. The problems will be dealt with immediately and in a sensible manner, to the mutual satisfaction of all. I believe a meeting of "chiefs" was recently held and this was discussed.....let's hope it gets implemented and control of onboard problems gets passed back to those who are competent to deal with them.....and we all know that isn't Miami shoreside! :rolleyes:

However if Miami think they can prevent guests from posting their dissatisfaction with cancelled, expensive or badly organised land tours on Cruise Critic then they will always be mistaken!

:rolleyes:

Hi Lottie

I read Bill's post that of course we can post here, but that the cruiseline firstly wanted to try to take ownership of issues that arise during a cruise on board so our first port of call with issues was the onboard team (and that we should escalate there if need be.

I think he also confirmed what I had hoped, that staff onboard should not be telling guests to raise issues here but should own the action of raising it with HO as required - and of course we can still add our comments here post cruise in that respect to reinforce any message.

I was so heartened to hear of your great Azamazing evening. I have positive hopes for our one in India - I think it could be quite different but as they have never had one in Cochin I am managing the expectation as who knows what might happen (it is India after all)!

Hello Azamara Land Tour Followers -

OUR FOCUS WILL BE TO CREATE AND IMPLEMENT EXPERIENCES THAT WILL DELIVER:

§ Personalized experiences.

§ Small-intimate guided groups.

§ Night touring and Evening events.

§ Social interaction with the people of the destinations.

CATEGORY OF EXPERIENCES:

#2 / Create a "new" series of smaller Azamara social immersion tours - "Signature or Insiders" (special name TBD)" - with approximately 20 guests or less.

- These smaller guided groups will feature interaction with the guests and guides; use smaller vehicles and be branded to highlight the benefit of a deeper cultural immersion with the locals.

- Current plans set program availability for the 2014 European season sometime in February 2014. (subject to change.)

shame we have to wait to summer of 2014 to get to groups under 20.. i might even book some then. . but looks like i will be rethinking tours in Cr and Mexico.

but again when does the ship cancel tours.. meaning the# of people. the largest size wasabout 35!!! and they cancel the ones under that amount.

#3 / Azamazing Evening Events (AEE)

The previously published 2014 AzAmazing Evening Events have been retooled to improve the efficiency in delivering the experiential "wow" or "cultural" element by reducing the program duration and providing a single-themed experience.

- Moved majority of events to after dinner to improve guest satisfaction.

highlight was the food and wine.. take away local food and i will just go to dinner over another music event. my sit down dinner was one of the two best of the 4 i went to.

- Enables guests to consider longer shore excursions - reduction of competitive choices.

- Select event by optimal port and improved service delivery with removal of tender ports.

- Some events moved to onboard vessel.

my two tender port evetns were the BEST of the 4 i went to!!!!:mad: Will they take away Ana in HVAR due to a tender.

if on boardit bejust becomes another night time show. the fun was going to a local venue.

#4 / Night Touring

There are 21 night tours that are offered in 2014 that take place after dinner:

- Most tours have been shortened to 3 hours or less.

- Experiences must be logistically close to vessel.

- The themes will be single focused and target “Arts and Cocktails.”

what???? no more dinner shows in Spain??? Art and Wine is fine but sometimes i like dinner shows.. one of my complaints about toursthat they are to short so less than three hours i rather go out to dinner in town.

I would like to reiterate that as an onboard guest, please be sure to provide your constructive feedback when you experience a shore excursion operation that falls below your expectations to our onboard team and/or in your comment cards. By doing so, our onboard shore excursion operation is able to provide feedback directly to our tour operators through our onboard management team and/or shoreside operation. i did more than once! in person and by letter and at least i got answers of some kind.

As more information becomes available about these land tour enhancements I will share that information on this thread.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

thanks

Hi Lottie

I was so heartened to hear of your great Azamazing evening. I have positive hopes for our one in India - I think it could be quite different but as they have never had one in Cochin I am managing the expectation as who knows what might happen (it is India after all)!

They can get a lot for their money in India, so anticipate a great evening. I think it is harder to do in Europe (for the amount they are willing to pay) or other more expensive areas.

thanks

shame we have to wait to summer of 2014 to get to groups under 20.. i might even book some then. . but looks like i will be rethinking tours in Cr and Mexico.

but again when does the ship cancel tours.. meaning the# of people. the largest size wasabout 35!!! and they cancel the ones under that amount.

Ellbon,

You may not be as interested when you see the prices, although others may be more price sensitive than you.

shame we have to wait to summer of 2014 to get to groups under 20.. i might even book some then.

Ellbon,

You may not be as interested when you see the prices, although others may be more price sensitive than you.

as always will compare to private tours on price and length of tour.. the smaller the better

They can get a lot for their money in India, so anticipate a great evening. I think it is harder to do in Europe (for the amount they are willing to pay) or other more expensive areas.
We recently attended a Cruise & Travel Expo and went to a feature presentation by Azamara. Much ado was made of the AzAmazing Evenings with videos from some past events being shown. The rep tried to put a hard "value" on them and mentioned that when AZ charters a ship, the AzAmazing Evenings are not included but can be purchased for an additional $250,000! Methinks that's a pretty high value, no matter the destination or the event, or whether it's a charter or regular sailing. I asked her later if she was sure about that amount and she was emphatic. But she also said AZ had two jewel-box ships named Journey and Conquest, so draw your own conclusions! ;);)

Archived