Royal Caribbean onboard accounts…

Another issue with using your Australian credit card is that no matter how much notice you give your bank, your card may have a stop put on it when you use it onboard. The charge goes through RCs American office so it appears you've started spending overseas which can trigger some banks fraud alerts. You don't want to spend your holiday time (and global roaming money) sorting out credit card issues.

I'm planning on pre paying for a lot of things, and using the Australia post currency conversion service to get some extra US cash. I wish their rate was closer to the standard conversion rate, but oh well...

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Thank you to everyone for your feedback, but to be honest, I'm really confused, and a bit scared. Starting to wonder if I should have just booked a cruise with P&O….

There's a lot of analysis here, but it's probably more than you need to worry about. You can research the above to the nth degree, but say your onboard spending was $1000US, and you paid a 3% fee, then you're up for $30 extra.

Given the cost of the total cruise, plus the spending onboard, plus ashore, it's a very small share of the total cost of your holiday.

Basically, research the above if you want to get the best return, but it's not something to really worry about, as it's not going to make so much difference in the scheme of things...

If you pay with a credit card, does RCI charge the credit card one total amount at the end of the cruise, or daily?

One total charge at the end, although if you do look at your cc account during or just after the cruise,you may notice some interim amounts showing as pending, but these disappear.

As The Big M suggests don't let all these things worry you or make you regret booking with RC. You will enjoy.

I will just add my 2c worth. I can't comment on any additonal charges/fees applied to the cruise fare by RC or banks, as I have always booked with an Aussie TA and paid with cc in $A. I have paid the TA a cc fee 1.5%, fully disclosed, and been happy to do that to take advantage of the insurance provided by cc issuer/bank.

But I have gone back to my last cruise - Jan/Feb this year and the on-board account was settled at a Fx rate of $1.04, so my $A charge was less than the US$ RC charge & I was charged by the bank a 3% 'international transaction' fee <A$20.

If had obtained $US currency here in Aus before travelling to pay my account, the way I do get money usually (which may not be the best way as some have pointed out on this thread) I would have got a rate maybe 3 or 4 cents less than published Fx rate & been charged a $12 fee by the money changer. It's not a game changer.

Anyway, Happy Cruising :D

• 2 years later...
Your Credit Card will be charged in USA Dollars and the exchange rate will be the official Visa/ Mastercard rate the day your account is submitted by RCI.

RCI cannot charge a different exchange rate on Credit cards because you are buying services/goods onboard in US Dollars and your "final bill from RCI is in US Dollars" so they cost what they cost in US Dollars no more no less. Then your credit card charges you the currency exchange rate not RCI.

You can opt for RCI to exchange for you before you get your final bill but you would have to be foolish to do this as RCI will convert your US Dollar account into AUS Dollars at "their" exchange rate which is abysmal and well below the official credit card exchange rate and your Credit Card is then charged in Australian Dollars not US Dollars.

When you print out your RCI Booklet there is a section for you to sign allowing RCI to convert your account "For Your Convenience" into Australian Dollars lol

Do not sign this or you will pay more than the Credit card will charge! Keep it in US Dollars and let the credit card exchange it.

They will put a hold on your credit card which is only a problem for those with small limit credit cards or those with Debit Cards who may not be able to access for up to 2 weeks after the cruise a debit card balance remainder if your onboard bill was lower than the hold amount RCI have put on it.

ie Debit card /credit card limit $1000, RCI card hold $1000, Final bill spend $600.So $400 balance remaining on the card may not be available to use until the hold is released which can take to 2 weeks but with me its never been more than 48 hours:)

Den

Regarding the "booklet"

Do you mean the online checkin part where you put all your personal details?

I am checking in my daughter online today and with the personal details eg passport no. There is a section on what currency do you want to pay with. I selected AUD as I thought this would be the currency my bank uses for the debit card.

Or is it after we print the seapass document then sign somewhere.

Thank you

Regarding the "booklet"

Do you mean the online checkin part where you put all your personal details?

I am checking in my daughter online today and with the personal details eg passport no. There is a section on what currency do you want to pay with. I selected AUD as I thought this would be the currency my bank uses for the debit card.

Or is it after we print the seapass document then sign somewhere.

Thank you

That is the right spot to 'check the dot' so to speak. It is the second one you would want to pick, the one that has your bank do the conversions rather than the cruise line.:D

Be aware, as you are using a debit card, they will put a hold on your card, you may want to verify how much the hold will be once on board.

Edited by MicCanberra

That is the right spot to 'check the dot' so to speak. It is the second one you would want to pick, the one that has your bank do the conversions rather than the cruise line.:D

Be aware, as you are using a debit card, they will put a hold on your card, you may want to verify how much the hold will be once on board.

Thanks,

I don't have a credit card so the debit would have to do, my bank uses 2 % currency conversion.

Just for the dummies.....

#1 select purchases in USD

#2 select let bank do conversion

#3 email agent or RCI ask how much they hold on debit card ☺

What we have found when using a credit card (and I would think the debit works the same way) is that each night an amount is authorised to cover the costs of that day, so by the end if the cruise the authorisations are for the total of what you have spent. On the last night a new total amount is then taken from the card and over the next few days or weeks in some cases, the pending authorisations drop off. Basically you need to twice the amount of your account available if using a card.

You can add cash to your account and this will reduce the amount of pre authorisations if done during the cruise. If you leave it till the end to pay cash, the authorisations would still be made and you would need to wait for them to drop off.

thanks...

off in a few days.... so just changed it from my original card (Citibank Visa Debit - no fees but loaded with $$ ) to 28 Degrees (no fees - barely ever use) - so all set now : didn't want that block on the debit card.

(taking US $$ in any case - now just have to sort out 'currency' for Vietnam........or at least find an ATM near the Nha Trang port.

Edited by shireboi

thanks...

off in a few days.... so just changed it from my original card (Citibank Visa Debit - no fees but loaded with $$ ) to 28 Degrees (no fees - barely ever use) - so all set now : didn't want that block on the debit card.

(taking US $$ in any case - now just have to sort out 'currency' for Vietnam........or at least find an ATM near the Nha Trang port.

Glad I was of help, I am sure you can get some Dong at the airport. Bon Voyage.:D

What is totally wrong "In My Opinion" is RCI Australia advertises in Au Dollars but when you pay by credit card it is paid to RCI USA and converted back to American Dollars and you then have to pay exchange fees from AU to US Dollars:confused:

Yes, $150 Australian charged to us by our bank recently for our final payment.

I don't get it. We should be paying RCI "Australia" in Aussie $s not head office in Miami which causes the conversion and the extra charge.

Edited by Hazydavo

btw, always chose a cash only account and take US cash. After each cruise always have some left for the next cruise and buy more from time to time when the rate is decent.

Cash accounts have their advantages, especially with leftover OBC.

Edited by MicCanberra

Cash accounts have their advantages, especially with leftover OBC.

Actually thought that if you don't use all of your OBC you lose it?

We've always used it all up though so it's never been tested :)

Edited by Hazydavo

Sit depends on the source as to if it's refundable or not.

Never heard of left over OBC either, but then I've got this secret weapon called Mrs Gut.

It depends on the type of OBC, most types of OBC are non-refundable (N-OBC)these include the cruise lines offers, Share holder benefit, military, etc. Others OBC may be refundable (R-OBC) such as gifts from the Travel Agent, yourself or friends, pre-purchased, etc. N-OBC is supposed to be used first and the R-OBC used next. Some cruise lines may give you cash if there is any (R-OBC) left, however, most will now put it back onto your card with the usual delay. So if you have a cash account, you should be able to cash out while on board.:D

Yes, $150 Australian charged to us by our bank recently for our final payment.

I don't get it. We should be paying RCI "Australia" in Aussie $s not head office in Miami which causes the conversion and the extra charge.

Agreed. Unfortunately one of the many ways RCL saves money from us having removed most of their local (AU) staff.

OK, so now I have another problem 😐

I went to register my card for my daughter to use to settle the bill after selecting let my bank do the conversion.

Problem 1

Terms and conditions say the registered card must be the booking person and so be sailing on the boat! Even though I paid with my same card

Problem 2

Booking is in my daughters friends name, who doesn't have a credit card and wants to pay in cash.

Any ideas what to do?

I didn't want to have to guess how much USD to get, then be stuck with it, also so no line up to pay last night at guest services

😢

OK, so now I have another problem

I went to register my card for my daughter to use to settle the bill after selecting let my bank do the conversion.

Problem 1

Terms and conditions say the registered card must be the booking person and so be sailing on the boat! Even though I paid with my same card

Problem 2

Booking is in my daughters friends name, who doesn't have a credit card and wants to pay in cash.

Any ideas what to do?

I didn't want to have to guess how much USD to get, then be stuck with it, also so no line up to pay last night at guest services

I cannot offer any advice except to call them tomorrow and see what they can suggest. Good luck.:D

OK, so now I have another problem 😐

Problem 1

Problem 2

Any ideas what to do?

😢

1. They need to sight the credit card at the time of physical check in. You don't enter the whole number when you are doing online check-in, so they don't even have the account number before boarding day. (The payment of the cruise is done through shore admin, whereas onboard spend is done through the ship accounts, so the number isn't passed on from what you paid the cruise with - and e.g. if you paid credit card through a travel agent they wouldn't have that in any case.)

2. If you don't want to pay with cash, and only want to pay with credit, the only thing I can suggest is you get a supplementary card for your daughter and she can then use that at check in for her account.

What is totally wrong "In My Opinion" is RCI Australia advertises in Au Dollars but when you pay by credit card it is paid to RCI USA and converted back to American Dollars and you then have to pay exchange fees from AU to US Dollars:confused:

You cannot buy the cruise in US Dollars if you live in Australia but if the final payment is in US Dollars then there is no reason not to advertise in US Dollars or at least have the option of purchasing the cruise in US Dollars if you so choose. Well actually there is a reason! if you could purchase in US Dollars there would be no need for an Australian RCI and then we would all get exactly what the cruise costs, no more no less.

This fee is charged by the bank, we always book and pay our deposit on the credit card, our recent booking incurred this fee for the first time, when we enquired at the bank, they said all banks are starting to charge this fee, but if you pay buy debit card you will not be charged......needless to say we will be paying the balance from our debit card. Robin :)

This fee is charged by the bank, we always book and pay our deposit on the credit card, our recent booking incurred this fee for the first time, when we enquired at the bank, they said all banks are starting to charge this fee, but if you pay buy debit card you will not be charged......needless to say we will be paying the balance from our debit card. Robin :)

Just be careful some banks are charging this fee for debit cards now.

1. They need to sight the credit card at the time of physical check in. You don't enter the whole number when you are doing online check-in, so they don't even have the account number before boarding day. (The payment of the cruise is done through shore admin, whereas onboard spend is done through the ship accounts, so the number isn't passed on from what you paid the cruise with - and e.g. if you paid credit card through a travel agent they wouldn't have that in any case.)

2. If you don't want to pay with cash, and only want to pay with credit, the only thing I can suggest is you get a supplementary card for your daughter and she can then use that at check in for her account.

Thanks.

It has been suggested by my TA that she can use her savings card. It is an Eftpos card, not a Visa Debit........ Has anyone used a card like this to settle their account?

We would get USD, but if they do a shore excursion or 2, these can get expensive.

Cheers