Royal princess: the cruise from hell

ibfern

Hi Amelia-

Glad to know that the issue is being resolved and that you are happy with the compensations they have offered to you.

It will be interesting to see if we can generate a sticky that discusses the balconies NOT to book on the Royal. If the moderators won't give us a sticky, maybe we can just have a thread.

Tracie, I have and aft balcony booked for the Sept. TA from Copenhagen and will call my TA first thing tomorrow to switch it to a mid ship balcony or mini. Too much of a premium on those rooms to pay for soot.

If things don't improve on the Royal, I'll seriously consider looking at other itineraries with Princess and other ships.

Tracie, I have and aft balcony booked for the Sept. TA from Copenhagen and will call my TA first thing tomorrow to switch it to a mid ship balcony or mini. Too much of a premium on those rooms to pay for soot.

If things don't improve on the Royal, I'll seriously consider looking at other itineraries with Princess and other ships.

After Amelia's thread, I would avoid those aft balconies like the plague. That is just me, but I am not a fan of "smelly/ dirty" things.

People do whatever they want when they are away from home.

Lots of people here talk about sleeping with the balcony door open.....I do to hear the waves

Few people would heat or air condition their home, and then sleep with a door open..... My A/C is set at 80 degree in my house, not very cool

I have read here of people putting duct tape over the louvers on the cabin door. How many people would put duct tape

on the own (inside) walls?....I use duct tape for all kind of fun things including taping the 'twins' in place, yuh neva know when it comes to duct tape

However, I do often put the contents of the fruit bowl into the toilet. I do this by eating the fruit......my son did the fruit thing in the toilet bowl, granted he was 3, so it could be a child's or a childish act.

People sometimes do on vacation what they do at home, just a bit differently. Some flush female 'products' which is safe at home but wouldn't be on a ship.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Had lunch with a ship's officer who told us that one elderly couple kept flushing towels down the toilet. most likely a senility or an Alzheimer issue but the ship's officers just didn't know what to do about it.

This wouldn't surprise me. My grandfather had cruised with us and was starting to not be "all there." At home he thought people were stealing the insulation out of the walls in his home. :( He deteriorated very quickly and very unexpectedly to all family members.

On the theme of fresh air and leaving the balcony open I have recently finished a cruise on Princess and developed a sore throat/tickly cough, nothing that would need a doctors visit just a bit annoying. I so wanted some fresh moist air in that room. I British and don't do aircon, I spend a lot of time in Spain with very high summer temperatures and don't do aircon there either. I wondered when the last time the room had fresh outside air in it and came to the conclusion probably when constructed. My next cruise I am going to have a balcony and will probably leave the door open when in the room I understand the aircon will 'complain' but then I should be given the opportunity to turn it off. At home I have a window open all year even when snow is on the ground outside.

We have an aft Dolphin balcony reserved on the Regal for next years transatlantic.

I am now feeling I made a bad choice. Hopefully we will get some more postings, so that if necessary, I can either move, or cancel.

Linda

I just saw another site where they have posted pictures of the soot on the balcony. I have never had a problem on other Princess ships but if Iwere you I would definitely change cabins as the Regal has the same design.

On the theme of fresh air and leaving the balcony open I have recently finished a cruise on Princess and developed a sore throat/tickly cough, nothing that would need a doctors visit just a bit annoying. I so wanted some fresh moist air in that room. I British and don't do aircon, I spend a lot of time in Spain with very high summer temperatures and don't do aircon there either. I wondered when the last time the room had fresh outside air in it and came to the conclusion probably when constructed. My next cruise I am going to have a balcony and will probably leave the door open when in the room I understand the aircon will 'complain' but then I should be given the opportunity to turn it off. At home I have a window open all year even when snow is on the ground outside.

There have been many threads on the topic of leaving the balcony door open. Doing this doesn't only affect YOUR A/C, it affects many of your "neighbor's" A/C because you are all on the same system and will cause their A/C from functioning efficiently. Keeping your door open can be regarded as a selfish act. You might want to reconsider that idea.

There have been many threads on the topic of leaving the balcony door open. Doing this doesn't only affect YOUR A/C, it affects many of your "neighbor's" A/C because you are all on the same system and will cause their A/C from functioning efficiently. Keeping your door open can be regarded as a selfish act. You might want to reconsider that idea.

Well kind-of sort-of, each room has its own thermostat which controls a valve from the room to the ship main A/C source. Opening your door won't change the flow of main A/C source or how much your neighbors' rooms pull from it. It will add heated humid air to the return air which will make the system less efficient over all. But the neighbors shouldn't be effected by your open door.

One or two open doors is really no big deal, but if everyone started opening their doors, well that would work the system pretty hard and give the cruise line an excuss to raise their rates.:D

Burt

Opening your door won't change the flow of main A/C source or how much your neighbors' rooms pull from it. It will add heated humid air to the return air which will make the system less efficient over all. But the neighbors shouldn't be effected by your open door.
The system works with chillers -- much like a domestic 'split' a/c system. There isn't any return air.

The system works with chillers -- much like a domestic 'split' a/c system. There isn't any return air.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I kind of thought that, but I wasn't sure if most ship had that system. Point is the same, opening your door will not have any effect on the neighbors.

Burt

Ah, thanks for the correction. I kind of thought that, but I wasn't sure if most ship had that system. Point is the same, opening your door will not have any effect on the neighbors.

Burt

I beg to differ. The a/c is in "zones" even though each cabin has it's own thermostat settings. Leaving the doors open, affects the efficiency in that zone.

Burt

I disagree with your point... Opening your door may or may not affect nearby cabins, depending on how close to the limit the system is operating. But, it doesn't matter. People here don't care how they affect others, there are endless posts about it.

I beg to differ always leave our balcony door open at night, we have asked the question and the answer was at night there is no issue with the a/c system

I totally agree with your comments.

Hi All

May be we should be asking those in the inside cabins that can not get their cabins cool enough as the air con system is in over drive or those whose cabin doors shut like mouse traps due to the hurricane blowing down the corridor at night

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Hi All

May be we should be asking those in the inside cabins that can not get their cabins cool enough as the air con system is in over drive or those whose cabin doors shut like mouse traps due to the hurricane blowing down the corridor at night

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

May be Princess should provide individual controls that allow the a/c to be switched off.

Edited by tjwa

I beg to differ. The a/c is in "zones" even though each cabin has it's own thermostat settings. Leaving the doors open, affects the efficiency in that zone.

Only if A LOT of cabins open their doors. That is not the same thing as one person opening the door having an effect on their neighbors.

Hey, I'm just trying to keep the facts strait so folks can make more intellectual arguments. I'm a bit pragmatic and tend to leave emotion out of these kinds of discussions.

Burt

This is terrible, really bad im so sorry this has happened,

I was looking into booking a cruise on this ship too.

Get as many pictures as you can, you defo need some sort of compensation for this but unfortunately it cant replace your holiday time.

Good luck

B

Only if A LOT of cabins open their doors. That is not the same thing as one person opening the door having an effect on their neighbors.

Hey, I'm just trying to keep the facts strait so folks can make more intellectual arguments. I'm a bit pragmatic and tend to leave emotion out of these kinds of discussions.

Burt

According to that argument, Princess would have to leave a card in your cabin telling you when it's your time to leave the doors open! What if a LOT of people decide that it's "just them" leaving the doors open?