Royal princess: the cruise from hell

ibfern

Sorry to have slightly hi-jacked the thread with the aircon comments but as other posters have said, if it caused problems there would be a note in your cabin asking you not to leave the door open and wouldn't it be a good idea if you could switch aircon off in your room. So many people seemed to have dry tickly coughs at the end of the cruise I am sure some normal air in the rooms overnight would have helped. Aircon is awful and bad for so many people, an as I have said I spend a lot of time in countries with 40+ temps and I don't have it there, just open the windows and put the fan on, lovely fresh air.

Our Experience was not much different the balcony had soot and dirt not really usable

the Cabin was Fine Toilet worked some of the time, the laundry on every deck overflows into the hall and really wets the carpet I asked about that and the Pipes are to small causing the overflow

we were M 727 on sept 27th arrived sept 28th late the Plane British airways had engine troubles in Vancouver

flown to Mercy not much help from Princess with arrangements or hotels

had to find a hotel and taxi ride $200 euro to get to the ship a day late

all booked threw Princess by the way

we all so lots Luggage in the ordeal in Mercy all 8 of us got all but one the next day brother in law still waiting ?

the soot the floors (decking) bubbling in main areas there currently working on that, the rear doors not sliding but opening out one lady grabbed the door frame going out as the door came back if we were not there to stop it I am sure it would have crushed her hand

the stainless supports for the railings rusty stained and corroded

there are too many issues to mention but they are there

like the smoking area right next to the children's play area !! Really ?

our trip could have gone better but we made the best of it and had the best experience possible now that were home time to get to Princess, Berkley, British Airways etc

all most forgot DW had her luggage smashed as well 3 of the four wheels on this $800 bag were pushed threw the bottom and a bottle of shampoo exploded inside Lucky we always have that suff in a plastic bag

Princess did try to repair the bag so we could get it home

we got it back in the room glued and painted black in spots must have been some sort of glue

but as soon as it was loaded the wheels again broke threw made for a bit of a struggle to get in home but we managed

I understand this is a british airways issue but it was all booked and insured Platinum protection with princess

I would have just bought another piece of luggage in port. Lots of places selling luggage. Then I would have taken photos of damaged luggage and thrown it away. Why take a chance with damaged luggage. Insurance still would reimburse.

I would never travel with an $800.00? piece of luggage. All luggage, no matter the cost can get their wheels damaged by airline or Princess.

We had wheels sheared off. Airline replaced the luggage right at the airport.

we had completed a cruise on the Royal Princess during the month of August, and fortunately, compared to your story, we had an excellent trip.

With that being said, I do feel, quite strongly, that Princess has made many mistakes in the design of the ship. Soot and dirt on the balconies from the smokestacks is one of them.

I do hope that Princess compensates you for your trip, and even more important, that you have gone to the effort to inform them of many of the deficiencies.

Hopefully they will make changes on the sister ship (Regal Princess?) and try to get Royal Princess into dry-dock ASAP to upgrade the ship's deficiencies. Better training of the crew would also be of benefit.

I would have just bought another piece of luggage in port. Lots of places selling luggage. Then I would have taken photos of damaged luggage and thrown it away. Why take a chance with damaged luggage. Insurance still would reimburse.

I would never travel with an $800.00? piece of luggage. All luggage, no matter the cost can get their wheels damaged by airline or Princess.

We had wheels sheared off. Airline replaced the luggage right at the airport.

One The Luggage is still under warranty but most Important it looked fixed

so there was no need to replace it Unfortunately the repair let go by the time we got to the airport

Sorry If I explained that wrong

we had completed a cruise on the Royal Princess during the month of August, and fortunately, compared to your story, we had an excellent trip.

With that being said, I do feel, quite strongly, that Princess has made many mistakes in the design of the ship. Soot and dirt on the balconies from the smokestacks is one of them.

I do hope that Princess compensates you for your trip, and even more important, that you have gone to the effort to inform them of many of the deficiencies.

Hopefully they will make changes on the sister ship (Regal Princess?) and try to get Royal Princess into dry-dock ASAP to upgrade the ship's deficiencies. Better training of the crew would also be of benefit.

I did spend 2 hours in conversation with a fellow Eric from Princess

I did explain the troubles

The Staff I have to say were great all in all they were happy and helpful

Some Could use more training yes

but each has a manager who over see that area

Personally I think they are more at fault than the staff

Is the soot and exhaust problem with aft balconies on all Princess ships? We have booked an aft suite on Crown Princess for Jan., 2014. We usually just book a balcony cabin mid ship. Since we spent the extra money to splurge this time around, we would hate to have our cruise ruined.

Beth

We were in C751 (aft VS) on the Crown this past January and had no soot problem. Enjoy your aft suite!

Deedee

No one picked up on "cigarette burns in the carpeting".

There is no smoking allowed in cabins on Princess ships. This may be part of the reason that cabin was available - passengers not voluntarily put off the ship.

My experience in Europe is that they smoke and disrespect any requests to do otherwise. Since this ship started in Europe. . . no surprise there.

Hi Everybody,

Sorry I have been absent, trying to enjoy this cruise and the beginning of it is so port intensive that there is no time.

I finally discovered what was up with the news and current cabin I am in. Princess accidentally delivered a letter to me- I thought it was a confirmation of another cruise I booked and I put it in a pile. This morning I opened it and got some answers about who was in this room. Indeed the person here was very sick, poor thing, they were getting blood transfusions and all sorts of treatments for days and days. I truly hope this person is OK. And this pretty much confirms that indeed this room was covered in blood, or at least it lends credence to the theory. I wish they had been honest, it bums me out that the truth is hard to come by, and I only discovered it because of a mistake on their part.

I like fresh air as much as possible, I too have developed a sore throat and a cough like many many on the ship which is pretty typical when in confined spaces. My room doesn't really get cleaned either, I have not seen a vacuum cleaner at all and the floor is gross. I am going to ask for cleaning supplies so I can clean my own room! I think my room steward has 22 rooms and I feel sorry for him, wish he wasn't so overworked.

I am finding a lot of strange things about this ship, I certainly hope Princess is reading this and that I can help others avoid issues which will impact their vacations. I know we all have different perspectives and hope you all know that my thoughts reflect me and not necessarily you! 20 years ago that sooty smelly aft room would have not bothered me so much and I hope whoever got it is not bothered by it.

We have had several black outs, seems to happen in the middle of the night and this is of some concern. There are lots of places that smell funny, even on my balcony A308 smells of exhaust at times. Kind of gross!

I did get my luggage replaced, not exactly what I would buy but better than nothing. I am tired and not enjoying this cruise as much as past cruises because I am not handling mishaps as easily as I usually do, it probably has to so with my high anticipation and expectations; this cruise was expensive. For me, I am considering canceling my cruise on this ship next year, and I definitely won't be taking the world cruise I have booked for 2015 because I know the cost will dictate my expectations and that is my greatest learning on this cruise.

Ok wonderful sunrise outside, it's time to go snap some photos!

Amelia

For me, I am considering canceling my cruise on this ship next year, and I definitely won't be taking the world cruise I have booked for 2015 because I know the cost will dictate my expectations and that is my greatest learning on this cruise.

Amelia

Ameila - if you are considering the world cruise for the ports, by all means, do it. You will hit some places you may never hit if only by land.

I think everyone's expectations were elevated by this new ship, new class of ship, etc... Your expectations may be realistic on a world cruise.

Have a safe trip home.

Hi Everybody,

Sorry I have been absent, trying to enjoy this cruise and the beginning of it is so port intensive that there is no time.

I finally discovered what was up with the news and current cabin I am in. Princess accidentally delivered a letter to me- I thought it was a confirmation of another cruise I booked and I put it in a pile. This morning I opened it and got some answers about who was in this room. Indeed the person here was very sick, poor thing, they were getting blood transfusions and all sorts of treatments for days and days. I truly hope this person is OK. And this pretty much confirms that indeed this room was covered in blood, or at least it lends credence to the theory. I wish they had been honest, it bums me out that the truth is hard to come by, and I only discovered it because of a mistake on their part.

I like fresh air as much as possible, I too have developed a sore throat and a cough like many many on the ship which is pretty typical when in confined spaces. My room doesn't really get cleaned either, I have not seen a vacuum cleaner at all and the floor is gross. I am going to ask for cleaning supplies so I can clean my own room! I think my room steward has 22 rooms and I feel sorry for him, wish he wasn't so overworked.

I am finding a lot of strange things about this ship, I certainly hope Princess is reading this and that I can help others avoid issues which will impact their vacations. I know we all have different perspectives and hope you all know that my thoughts reflect me and not necessarily you! 20 years ago that sooty smelly aft room would have not bothered me so much and I hope whoever got it is not bothered by it.

We have had several black outs, seems to happen in the middle of the night and this is of some concern. There are lots of places that smell funny, even on my balcony A308 smells of exhaust at times. Kind of gross!

I did get my luggage replaced, not exactly what I would buy but better than nothing. I am tired and not enjoying this cruise as much as past cruises because I am not handling mishaps as easily as I usually do, it probably has to so with my high anticipation and expectations; this cruise was expensive. For me, I am considering canceling my cruise on this ship next year, and I definitely won't be taking the world cruise I have booked for 2015 because I know the cost will dictate my expectations and that is my greatest learning on this cruise.

Amelia

I do appreciate your insights about the Royal. Perhaps, as you say, your expectations were too high. Despite being a new ship, Princess is a mass market cruise line, not a luxury one (as you, I'm sure, know). That being said, some of the things you've noted would be unacceptable even on a non-luxury ship such as the Royal. I've cruised on Crystal and Regent (several times on Regent) then on RCL, Disney, and Cunard. Even on Crystal and Regent, there were issues, etc. Cunard (QM2) was a nice ship but too crowded, too noisy, and my toilet didn't work. I still had a nice time even though I was sick for part of it. Disney was crowded, noisy, and the food was meh - but I still had a marvelous time with my child. RCL was meh - but, then again, I still had a very nice time. I've booked the Royal next April for the itinerary - not the ship. I looked at all of the cruise lines and Princess had the exact itinerary I wanted. I have no illusions that Princess is Crystal or Regent. Hopefully, Princess will be commensurate with RCL. Again, thank you for posting your insights.

This is concerning me as we're in A239, not to far from A308.

Even more concerning at the blackouts at night. Scott uses a CPAP and needs it at night. I'm not dealing with a cranky Scott on the cruise at the end of the month if this is the case...