Where do I start for Transatlantic cruise flights?

TomTN

I will be following this thread. I have booked a TA next Sept. that was the easy part. Now, I need to fiqure out how to get my family ( me, my DH, 40 and our DD, 4) to Barcelona and back home from San Juan. We are on the Disney WBTA. We live in Memphis. So far, the only thing I have decided is to use some airfare vouchers I have to get to New York or Chicago and book the one way from there. We are also on a budget. I really want to only spend about 1500-1800 on the one way. Of course, cheaper would be even better ;)!

So....is that a per-person $1500 or for three? Most always, air pricing is talked about on a per-person basis to keep things clear. If for three, I think you are going to be disappointed. Not only do you have to go from MEM to BCN, but you have to figure in that cost from SJU to MEM, which isn't cheap. With a budget of $500-$600 pp, you are likely on a wild goose chase. The cheapest one-ways from SJU to MEM are about $190, but require an 8am departure, which I doubt you could make. Later flights go into the $240+ range, so there's almost half of your air budget, just getting home. And if those vouchers just get you to a gateway on the outbound, you'll need overseas flights in the $260 range to hit budget. And that won't happen.

Now, if you mean $1500 per person, quite doable. MANY options.

So....is that a per-person $1500 or for three? Most always, air pricing is talked about on a per-person basis to keep things clear. If for three, I think you are going to be disappointed. Not only do you have to go from MEM to BCN, but you have to figure in that cost from SJU to MEM, which isn't cheap. With a budget of $500-$600 pp, you are likely on a wild goose chase. The cheapest one-ways from SJU to MEM are about $190, but require an 8am departure, which I doubt you could make. Later flights go into the $240+ range, so there's almost half of your air budget, just getting home. And if those vouchers just get you to a gateway on the outbound, you'll need overseas flights in the $260 range to hit budget. And that won't happen.

Now, if you mean $1500 per person, quite doable. MANY options.

No, I meant 1500-1800 for the one way to BCN only. That's the leg I am most concerned about. I am pretty sure I will find a decent price for the SJU to MEM and I am kindling hoping to stay a night or two post cruise so a 8 am flight will be doable.

Overall, I am thinking about 2500 or so for flights.

And once again....is that for three or one? Is that $500 per person for the TATL?

Just so that everyone is talking on the same page. Or wasn't I clear before?

Sorry. Yes, pp. I am finding flights in that price range on Turkish Air but it is a long flight with a lengthy layover in Istanbul. Also, aireuropa is showing decent fares on kayak but not on their website. So, I am just waiting for the right ticket/ right price/right itinerary.

Sorry. Yes, pp. I am finding flights in that price range on Turkish Air but it is a long flight with a lengthy layover in Istanbul. Also, aireuropa is showing decent fares on kayak but not on their website. So, I am just waiting for the right ticket/ right price/right itinerary.

If you are truly looking for $500-600pp flights from the East Coast to Barcelona, you should be purchasing those Turkish Airlines tickets NOW if they are available for your dates (they are currently available through Sept 16). JFK to IST to BCN only has a three hour layover in Istanbul. Holding out for a cheaper flight may be very futile. You can barely buy enough miles for a one way flight for that price although if you did go the AA purchased miles route, you may be able to get a flight from your home airport all the way to BCN without using your other vouchers. But trying to get three mileage seats may take some real doing and a LOT of flexibility.

You could also fly Aeroflot through Moscow from JFK in a slightly shorter time frame than the Turkish Air flight for just about the same money. Aeroflot has changed considerably from the "olden days" when the planes looked like they were falling apart (and were). I don't THINK you need a Russian visa for a transit flight but I would check that out thoroughly for your particular situation. I flew a couple of internal Aeroflot flights a couple of years ago and they were as good if not better than most US carriers. Just another option.

Good luck

Good idea. We are actually looking at driving up to Dulles . A lot more options from there.

I would go to Dulles 2 days before just in case. You could tour Washington DC and return the car. If not at least plan to arrive in the early afternoon the day before your flight.

Call around to various rental car agencies and even pay them a visit and tell them you are willing to take one of their cars that is needed at IAD in return for a good deal and no drop off fees. See if they can give you a large car to fit your bags.

I would go to Dulles 2 days before just in case. You could tour Washington DC and return the car. If not at least plan to arrive in the early afternoon the day before your flight.

Call around to various rental car agencies and even pay them a visit and tell them you are willing to take one of their cars that is needed at IAD in return for a good deal and no drop off fees. See if they can give you a large car to fit your bags.

IF one is going to tour DC, dropping a car off at Dulles is a complete waste. Reagan is so, so, so much closer, with public transportation options to boot. IAD is a pain for DC visiting.

We are coming home TA next month on Celebrity from Rome (well, Civitavecchia), after a LOT of research, the best price was the oneway to Italy through Celebrity. Check and see what your cruise line can do as far as air. On another note, we went/came from Europe last month on Turkish Air for about $250 less than other carriers. We flew coach. Turkish Air was voted the best European Airline the 3rd yr in a row, and now I know why. Yes, "door to door" was about 3 hrs longer going via Istanbul, but for us, saving $500 was worth the 3 hrs, plus the fact that their onboard service was wonderful! And please, before other posters start yippin' about my post, I made these comments solely based on recent personal experience.

Just to clear up some comments. We live 3 hrs south of Dulles. It was a great option to avoid feeder airlines and get better flights via a US gateway. At most it will cost about $110 or so to rent a car one way. We also took CC advice to purchase multi city round trip.

Archived