Speaking of suitcases

Jean1946

We went suitcase shopping yesterday because my husband does not like our soft sided suitcase that is beginning to show a little wear and tear. What I've tried to tell him is that the new ones will look like that after a couple of cruises.

Duh! My main purpose of this thread was to tell y'all that there is a suitcase out there that has some sort of device in it that lets you know if it weighs over 50 pounds. We bought two for less than the cost of that one. But it was neat.

I also found one at Tuesday Morning that was all blingy! I really covet that suitcase, although you're not supposed to. I can see myself sneaking back to the store and at least getting the carry on.

I just use a portable-type luggage scale that I got for about $10 and it works just great......haven't been overweight yet at the airline scale. I don't know whether I would be interested in it being incorporated into the structure of the suitcase (at a cost I imagine), but others might be find it useful.

our $10 one is very reliable also. Some of our Publix grocery stores down here have those huge scales and we used to bring the suitcases full into the store to weigh. I would hate to pay extra for a few pounds or have to throw something "vital" out at the airport.

A few years ago we also get a cheap scale to weight our suitcases. I just throw it into the carry-on before we pack the car.

So far it has been very accurate.

Me too. It seems to be accurate and we've never had a problem with overweight baggage, even when we've been right on the button!

Re: Bling If you really like it, get it! Last year we were in BA, and I saw a carry on I coveted, and DDDDDH said, don't get it here, we have enough stuff, we'll get it when we get home, and wouldn't you know, it's not available in the US or Canada! The moral of the story is - GET IT!

I agree, if you love it, buy it, and especially at TM, because it may already be gone for good. It will make every trip more fun for you in the next few years! We have all passed up things we really wanted at one time or another, and suffered non- buyers remorse when we could never buy them because the item was gone. Guys would say go for the gusto!

our $10 one is very reliable also. Some of our Publix grocery stores down here have those huge scales and we used to bring the suitcases full into the store to weigh. I would hate to pay extra for a few pounds or have to throw something "vital" out at the airport.

I take mine to the gym and weigh it there. Also use the scale in the ships gym prior to disembarking.

Oh, and the steam room comes in handy to release wrinkles on my gowns. Guess its good I live within walking distance of our gym. :)

That's good to know about being able to weigh your stuff on the ship. Last time we were on the Eurodam, one of the handles broke on one of our carry-on's. Took it down to the Guest Services and they repaired it for free.

Back to weighing stuff, we just take the scales from the bathroom into the living room (probably about 10 times).

I think I will have an opportunity to go to the nearest TM tomorrow and see if they have the bling suitcase. If not, I will not rest until I have one for my trip on the 28th!

Glad you are going for the bling! Life is too short and all of that other good stuff. Our small city/large town has three TM's, and there are ten or 11 in the greater area. My point is, they tend to saturate an area with stores, so if your area is like that you may be able to call around and find your bling-y suitcase. Now I am getting so excited about the hunt, I may have to go look at them myself tomorrow!

We are quite happy to have 'experienced and well travelled' luggage.

If some villain is out to steal bags we are hoping that he/she will select the new/shiny, expensive ones for expropriation instead of our rather tired looking mismatched pieces.

If some villain is out to steal bags we are hoping that he/she will select the new/shiny, expensive ones for expropriation instead of our rather tired looking mismatched pieces.

As my 3 year old GD would say - Awe Man, that's not sounding good. The new stuff we bought is boring blue, did not get to TM today, but will be there tomorrow for sure!

1229164703_Like-Button-CruiseCritic.png.bec3420ad6bf64f2c4402416dd44c40b.png

Not sure if the attachment for the Love it is working...:D:D:D:D

Ahh, thieves probably assume your tasteful luggage belongs to "old money" and would make it their first target. LOL, just joking. We have never had ours stolen, knock on keyboard, but have had it temporarily lost by the airlines too many times.

OP, I hope you end up getting your blinged out suitcase! It sounds like fun and I just know it'll give you a lot of pleasure.

I ended up getting one of our suitcases packed a day early on one of out longer cruises, so sent my husband off to the gym to weigh it. As he made his way there, this prompted several queries from other guests as to whether he thought he was getting off the ship that day! I think they thought he was a confused puppy!

We now have a hand-held scale that we toss in our carry-on and it works beautifully.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I bought a travel scale that works great. I'd be concerned about one that is integrated into the bag. I've watched the guys load suitcases onto the planes and they are not gentle with them! Unless it is extremely rugged, I would imagine the scale would come out of calibration after a few uses. I keep my travel scale in my carry-on bag for that reason.

With regard to "blingy" luggage, does the bling cause it to weigh more than similarly sized bags? I bought the lightest luggage I could find in my price range. It seems like 50-lbs is a reasonable weight allowance, but I've seen some bags that weigh 15-lbs. Mine only weighs 8 lbs.

Archived