formal nights for 1st time cruises

jankelly

Hi All

We are 1st time cruisers, what do people generally wear on P&O formal nights don't want to look over dress or under dressed any advice would be much appreciated

Jan & John

For men at least a jacket and tie and all the way up to a tux. Women can wear dress slacks and a sparkly top and then all the up to a formal gown with a train. It's up to you and what you prefer.

Most of all have fun and enjoy your formal nights!

The vast majority of men wear a dinner jacket; some wear a suit and tie and a few the kilt. The women wear anything from full, long dresses to evening trousers and tops. It is very, very rare that anyone doesn't go along with the dress code- they will not be allowed into the main dining room nor several other venues.

For the very few who don't dress up, the buffet is where they eat; I've only ever seen perhaps a dozen out of over 3,000. This is for formal nights only....there are other dress codes on different evenings, sometimes a jacket is required, and on others it's casual (except Ventura and I think Oceana, where it's just formal and casual).

Enjoy- it will be great!:D

Edited by jocap
addition

Hi All

We are 1st time cruisers, what do people generally wear on P&O formal nights don't want to look over dress or under dressed any advice would be much appreciated

Jan & John

You can wear anything that looks nice ...no shorts , they will feed you a anyway... I have been o so many cruises I cannot go formal ever again.. It does depend on what line you are on...Carnival just relax but nicer than most other days, Rcl same and NCL same, Princess is a little more dressy. YOu can go formal its just a choice anything goes on cruises anymore

No, on P&O, formal IS formal.....you'll not be allowed into the MDR or several bars throughout the evening in casual clothes. As I mentioned, I have seen a very, very few who didn't dress up on the larger ships, but they would have been refused admittance in several places during the evening. The vast majority of the passengers prefer this- it doesn't worry me one way or the other, but if I choose a formal line then I go along with the rules.

I wear what I wear for church , slacks and a nice polo , my 50.00 harley Davidson polo . I dont wear a suit to church . Each to ther own . Your on faction. Be your self have fun

You can wear anything that looks nice ...no shorts , they will feed you a anyway... I have been o so many cruises I cannot go formal ever again.. It does depend on what line you are on...Carnival just relax but nicer than most other days, Rcl same and NCL same, Princess is a little more dressy. YOu can go formal its just a choice anything goes on cruises anymore

The OP asked about P&O and this is inaccurate.

I would read the posts from Jocap who has sailed on their ships, and her information matches my limited experience of P&O

No, on P&O, formal IS formal.....you'll not be allowed into the MDR or several bars throughout the evening in casual clothes. As I mentioned, I have seen a very, very few who didn't dress up on the larger ships, but they would have been refused admittance in several places during the evening. The vast majority of the passengers prefer this- it doesn't worry me one way or the other, but if I choose a formal line then I go along with the rules.

Absolutely.

P&O (& Cunard) are strict on formal dress code, far more strict than other cruise lines. Most guys wear DJ, but enough wear dark suit with tie for them not to look out-of-place.

But anything else - no jacket, no collar & tie, slacks, etc will almost certainly result in refused entry to the MDR & several bars evening-long.

Plenty of other no-code dining options on formal nights.

Personally I hate penguin suits - but I follow the code.

I've seen some shambolic mixtures on the likes of RCI, some folk in DJs & some folk in gaudy Caribbean shirts & baseball hats, & that wrecks the whole idea of a formal night. :eek:

Imagine that sort of free-&-easy attitude to dress code at, say, the Oscars. :rolleyes:

It doesn't happen there - and it doesn't happen on P&O.

And quite right too. :cool:

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Booked on Princess for first time cruise because I am looking forward to formal night :)

Princess don't stress the code as much as Cunard or P&O.

But on formal nights everyone's conformed on Princess cruises we've been on, Princess appeals to "that" sort of passenger, so no worries. :)

JB :)

• 3 weeks later...

We are on Independence of the Seae next June and are really looking forward to the formal nights. When not working we are normally in Jeans trackies tshirts etc. The TUX and dress will be part of the fun. Intend to wear at least a collar and tie, and my wife a dress each evening when on the cruise. Our holiday, our time to enjoy ourservles.

Hi JanKelly..glad you asked this question..I'm retired from a physical labor type of job and lived for 35 years in jeans, boots and flannel shirts!

I'm looking forward to formal nights. I hardly get to dress up anymore-maybe for the symphony I'll wear a nice pant suit but I only had one nice dressy outfit prior to planning for the cruise.

My first cruise is this December on HAL..Daughter, son-in-law, grand daughter and I are going over the holiday as our house building project is taking SO long we decided we don't want another Christmas in a small apartment!

Since daughter has been on a couple of cruises, she suggested I look for 'Mother of the Bride" type dresses. As a senior, I'm not into gowns nor can I afford them.I have one very nice dress from my other daughters wedding last year and I purchased a mother of the bride dress on eBay (YES eBay) for $20.00 that is my favorite color and absolutely beautiful-very dressy.

I hate trying on clothes and am a standard size 6 so shopping on line is easy for me+ I couldn't beat the price..I'd seen this dress for over $150.00 on sale last summer at Nordstroms..it's a upscale brand and fits me like a dream.

Just giving you a couple of ideas that were passed on to me from experienced cruisers. Hope you have fun and enjoy your formal night! I sure will.

Plantcrone aka elle