Cruise insurance

NRichard10

Hi All,

Can you tell me the timeframe in which you can buy cruise insurance before a cruise?

We are sailing 31 days from today. Over the weekend we found out that my DH's mother is gravely ill and may not make another month.

Is it too late to by insurance under these circumstances? If it is, I do realize that I will receive some of my money back if I cancel over 30 days out which would be today so I really need some help and answers on this pretty fast.

Thanks for your help.

Hi All,

Can you tell me the timeframe in which you can buy cruise insurance before a cruise?

We are sailing 31 days from today. Over the weekend we found out that my DH's mother is gravely ill and may not make another month.

Is it too late to by insurance under these circumstances? If it is, I do realize that I will receive some of my money back if I cancel over 30 days out which would be today so I really need some help and answers on this pretty fast.

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, you can't buy insurance this late. Even if you could, the illness would be considered a pre-existing condition and would not be covered by most insurance anyway. You could try contacting the cruiseline and see if they will allow you to move to a cruise at a later time. They are not obligated to do so without a penalty but they might work with you.

So sorry to hear of your MIL's poor health. :(

Just a heads up that very often, travel insurance does not cover "pre-existing conditions", which this now is. You may be asked to prove when her condition started (for lack of a better word) if you need to file a claim for reimbursement. The company will phone or notify the physician(s) involved, as they did when we had to cancel our recent cruise due to my illness. They are looking for a reason not to pay out, to be blunt. Just wanted to add this.

But insurance that will cover the OP's problem.

I answered based on the op question, their first sentence. I would think the coverage would depend on the co. Used, the op should be talking to a company and asking. No way anyone here can tell the op about coverage, she would have to contact an in. CO.

Q. What is the latest date I can purchase travel insurance?

A. You can purchase a policy up until the day before you travel. Some policies are available for purchase on the day of departure, however, our recommendation is to purchase as soon as possible to maximize your benefits. If you wait to make a purchase, you run the risk that something will happen before the policy takes effect.

There is insurance that will pay a claim if you cancel for any reason (usually 75% of the cruise cost); it is more expensive than regular insurance. You might want to also look at Royal Caribbean's insurance that will give you a credit towards a future cruise (they won't give you your money back) - that might help you in this circumstance. Good luck to you.

As mentioned, you may want to look at Policies with "Cancel for Any Reason". The Cruiseline Policy includes Cancel for Any Reason, but reimbursement is 75% and in the form of a future Cruise CREDIT. I believe the similar Carnival Cruiseline Policy will not include the Cancel for Any Reason Coverage if you purchase after final payment deadline - you'd want to confirm this with RCI and Berkely. Third Party Policies offer Cancel for Any reason usually foar additional 50% premium and reimbursement from 50% to 80%, but you generally have to purchase the Policy w/in 2-3 weeks of booking.

Otherwise, I'd be reading the various Policies to see if the pre-existing condition applies to a relative who gets ill and causes your cancellation - I believe there are such policies. The people at Insuremytrip.com may be able to help with this.

Post your findings?

ken

From the OP's original post, I get the impression that DH'S mother is not sailing with them. If this is the case, then Insurance should pay out, if death of a close relative is covered, as the pre-existing conditions clause only applies to people who are covered and travelling.

From the OP's original post, I get the impression that DH'S mother is not sailing with them. If this is the case, then Insurance should pay out, if death of a close relative is covered, as the pre-existing conditions clause only applies to people who are covered and travelling.

Which policies cover pre-existing conditions of relatives - especially when purchaed well after final payment? I do not know of any. I do not think that the OP will be able to find coverage. It would be like seeking auto insurance after you have an accident and are worried the other party may file suit.

Which policies cover pre-existing conditions of relatives - especially when purchaed well after final payment? I do not know of any. I do not think that the OP will be able to find coverage. It would be like seeking auto insurance after you have an accident and are worried the other party may file suit.

I'd look at CSA (Custom and probably Freestyle) which I interpret to limit the pre-existing exclusion to "you, travel companion or family member who is scheduled or booked to travel with you"; the kicker here would be the requirement that the event occurred after the Policy is purchased. I'm not sure there's much hope here, other than maybe the Cruiseline Policy IF Cancel for Any Reason applies to policies purchased after Final Payment.

ken

The above quote seems to mean that if the ill person is NOT traveling on the cruise, then the insurance would pay if the covered persons had to cancel due to illness or death of the relative. I know such coverage is available, as we have had to cancel two cruises because of the poor health of MIL, and her illness was a pre-exsisting condition. However, since she was not traveling with us, HER pre-exsisting condition was a moot point. We were fully reimbursed on both occasions.

Travel Safe - has different conditions for non traveling family members. If they would cover this situation I don't know - below is the wording from the website.

"

Medical conditions for which there is treatment; or a recommendation for treatment, diagnostic test or exam; or for which drugs or medicine are prescribed during the 60 day period prior to your effective date with TravelSafe are considered Pre-Existing Conditions. This means we look back 60 days prior to the effective date of your insurance, which is significantly less than many of our competitors. The policy exclusion for Pre-Existing Conditions will be waived, if your premium payment is received within 21 days of the date of the initial trip deposit is paid.

Unless you meet the Pre-Existing Conditions Waiver requirements detailed above, the policy does not cover Pre-Existing Conditions. Unlike some of our competitors, however,
our Pre-Existing Condition requirements apply only to insured travelers, not to non-traveling family members.

Note: Medical conditions that are treated or controlled solely with medication and remain treated or controlled without an adjustment or a change in medication during the 60 day period prior to the effective date are not considered to be Pre-Existing Conditions. See the TravelSafe policy complete details about Pre-Existing Conditions."

No, my mother in-law is not cruising with us.

Thank you for all of your replies and help.

As of right now we are just going to take our chances and plan on going. If in the end we can't go, then we will just have to forfeit the money and move on.

Depends on company and policy, and likely state, as to if the pre-ex clause applies to non-traveling family members.

In any case, an event that ordinarily would cause you to cancel occurring before you buy the policy is never covered. No closing the barn door after the proverbial horse is out...

Archived