St John/St. Thomas rec.

JBravo1977

Several years ago I was able to spend a few hours at Trunk Bay during a cruise stop at St. Thomas. I always wanted to return there and next month my wife and I are going to St. John to stay 5 nights at the Westin. I know we will want to snorkel at Trunk Bay. What else should we do? Drinking and "extreme" activities are out because she will be about 5 months pregnant.

I'm looking for recreation, dining, and shopping (yea, pretty much everything) recommendations.

Thanks!

What a great spot to relax, and congratulations!

Shopping Cruz bay is great, much less hectic that CA on STT and there are some nice clothing, art, and jewelry shops there. For a nice memento St John Bracelets in Cruz has some excellent quality Hook bracelets, you can also visit their site to plan ahead if a gift while on the island is in order.;)

You'll find some good dining options in Cruz as well. I would also rent a car and drive to Coral Bay and see that area and stop for lunch at one of the spots there. You can also take an island tour by taxi relatively cheaply.

There are great daysails if you want to snorkel while your wife relaxes on the boat. You can also ferry to Jost Van Dyke in the BVI and enjoy Seddy's card and magic tricks at his place in White Bay, or enjoy his dad's (Foxy) songs at his place in Great Harbor. White Bay is primarily a beach bar beach but still a very nice beach to relax on.

And you may even want to ferry over to STT and spend a little time in Red Hook where the ferry docks. You can walk anywhere in Red Hook because it is so compact. We like Island Time there for their pizza and subs, and we love Latitude 18 (across the bay) for evening entertainment and eating. Lat 18 is a funky open-air bar/restaurant that is very casual...Check their f page.

We stay at a condo on Sapphire Beach and that's just a few minutes from Red Hook by taxi if you want to check it out. The ferries run late so you can enjoy a nice dinner in Red Hook if you want that. There are a few nicer restaurants there as well as fun restaurant/bars like Molly Malone's, Duffy's Love Shack:eek:, and Big Bamboo.

Have a great trip!

In Cruz Bay, Mongoose Junction has some very nice shops. You didn't say when you are visiting, and some restaurants are still closed for slow season. Everyone has their favorites. For casual meals in town, I like Sun Dog Cafe at Mongoose Junction, Deli Grotto for take out lunches for the beach. For dinner: Morgan's Mango, Ocean Grill, Lime Inn, Rhumb Lines, La Tapa. There will be some new places this fall, and I hope that Cafe Roma will re-open soon. You might want to go to Coral Bay for lunch, but it is quite a distance at night...

If you are into hiking, stop by the National Park Information Center in Cruz Bay and talk to the rangers about trails. The guided Reef Bay trail is all downhill with a boat ride back. You'll learn a lot about St John history, flora and fauna...

• 2 weeks later...

JBravo ~ I highly recommend that you venture to the "other" side of the island. There are lots of great restaurants (Aqua Bistro, Shipwreck Landing, Miss Lucy, Skinny Legs are some of the favorites). Coral Bay (the tiny town on the east side of the island) also has some nice shops, great hiking trails and wonderful vistas.

We have done 1/2 kayak/snorkel trips with Hidden Reef Eco Tours and they have been great. Here's a link: http://www.hiddenreefecotours.com/

Some may disagree but it is so much easier to explore if you have your own rental jeep. The Westin is a little remote for walking to anything and while I know they offer some transportation services, it's nice to be able to come and go and explore as you please.

Lunch at Chateau Bordeaux high atop Bordeaux Mountain provides one of the prettiest views anywhere. Lunch was surprisingly good, too, when we stopped there last spring.

Visiting St. John's many beaches are a must. Maho and Francis are among my favorites along with Haulover. I highly recommend the book "St. John Off the Beaten Path" available on Amazon or in many of the stores on the island. The Friends of the Virgin Island store at Mongoose Junction is a great spot for things like this book.

Most of all, relax and enjoy the beauty that is St. John. It's a special place.

Archived