Crew member dies on the QV

roscoe39

Condolences to the family, friends and co-workers of the deceased crew member.

Sorry I don't know the deceased crew member's name, but his death has been reported in this news article http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10747193.Crew_member_dies_on_cruise_ship/

With sympathy,

Salacia

thanks Salacia, Ive copied it and sent it to my friends onboard... although the captain had informed them he hadn't told them the position or even sex of the person involved.

regards Roscoe

You're welcome.

It must be very difficult for crew members (especially those on leave) reading about the passing of a colleague without knowing the name of the deceased or any other details; difficult as well for passengers who have friends amongst the crew. I don't understand why more information has not been released by Cunard. Apparently, family members have been notified, so what can be the reason for not making more information public?

Again, my condolences to the loved ones of the deceased crew member. -S.

You're welcome.

It must be very difficult for crew members (especially those on leave) reading about the passing of a colleague without knowing the name of the deceased or any other details; difficult as well for passengers who have friends amongst the crew. I don't understand why more information has not been released by Cunard. Apparently, family members have been notified, so what can be the reason for not making more information public?

Again, my condolences to the loved ones of the deceased crew member. -S.

just found this on another site...

QV - October 18, 2013 3:04 PM

HY,

A Pilipino Crew member 21 years old passed away in his sleep, he went to sleep as usual the night before but next morning he didn't wake up, his cabin mate tried to wake him up but couldn't so he called 911 emergency line, but the doctor could only asses the time of death that is not certain but it is believe that happened sometimes during the night. The cause of death is unclear and this is still under investigation.

I know it left a sad pall on some of those i know onboard.

best regards Roscoe

You're welcome.

A very sad story indeed, but we have to realized that normal life doesn't stay off the ships.

Crew members do communicate even when on leave, so we don't have to worry about their information staus at all.

News like this certainly are not pushing the business and therefore I can fully understand Cunard not reveiling the details.

Since we learned now that this case is still under investigation I cannot see the point discussing this any further.

My condolences are with his family and I do hope that they will have sufficient future support.

"...THE man who died on board a luxury Southampton-based cruise ship is believed to have been a 23-year-old deckhand from the Philippines.

The Daily Echo understands that the man, who has not been named, died of natural causes on board the Cunard ship Queen Victoria..." quoted from http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10750706.Man_who_died_on_cruise_ship_believed_to_be_a_deckhand/

What a shame. This sad story should only go to signify to us the fragile and fleeting nature of life. As we mourn the passing of a life, we should at the same time embrace the beauty of what we take for granted. "Gather ye rosebuds, while ye may!"

"...THE man who died on board a luxury Southampton-based cruise ship is believed to have been a 23-year-old deckhand from the Philippines.

The Daily Echo understands that the man, who has not been named, died of natural causes on board the Cunard ship Queen Victoria..." quoted from http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10750706.Man_who_died_on_cruise_ship_believed_to_be_a_deckhand/

Thank you Salacia for the article . Very sad to hear.

A very sad story indeed, but we have to realized that normal life doesn't stay off the ships.

Crew members do communicate even when on leave, so we don't have to worry about their information staus at all.

News like this certainly are not pushing the business and therefore I can fully understand Cunard not reveiling the details.

Since we learned now that this case is still under investigation I cannot see the point discussing this any further.

My condolences are with his family and I do hope that they will have sufficient future support.

cunardaddict, sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "News like this certainly are not pushing the business and therefore I can fully understand Cunard not reveiling the details."

Recently, there was extensive news coverage and discussion on this board about a passenger who passed away while on board. (Reference http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1907487 )

I would be loathe to think there was a double standard for the exchange of information or concern regarding a sudden death of a passenger verses a crew member on board ship.

-S.

cunardaddict, sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "News like this certainly are not pushing the business and therefore I can fully understand Cunard not reveiling the details."

Recently, there was extensive news coverage and discussion on this board about a passenger who passed away while on board. (Reference http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1907487 )

I would be loathe to think there was a double standard for the exchange of information or concern regarding a sudden death of a passenger verses a crew member on board ship.

-S.

That's correct - there are some differences between theese cases.

1. Obviously the case of the deceased crew member is under investigation

2. As the average age of the passengers is about 3-4 times of that of the crew everyone expects passengers to pass away during a crew. Each passenger will in a way be glad to learn how this is treated by the ships management just in case it may happen to himself. It is - if you excuse this rude thinking - part of the cruise service.

3. Unclear death cases of staff are never to be communicated with the passengers as they may start counting them and soon a ship might earn a reputation for this.

4. Until the relatives have been informed no information on the person should be reveiled to the public. This can takes some days depending on how easy the relatives can be contacted.

I do not see any reason why a captain should inform the passengers of a case like this if this does not influence the life on board. People go on cruise to be happy, not to moan. The whole crew works towards this and I am shure they understand it this way - I myself have worked in the hospilatity industry for most of my life and I would act accordingly.

I cannot see the advantage for passengers to learn the details - it will only feed the gossip.

That's correct - there are some differences between theese cases.

I cannot see the advantage for passengers to learn the details - it will only feed the gossip.

It's probably because the captain wants to nip gossip in the bud that he has told the passengers. Gossip goes round the Queens quicker than a coachload of noro carriers.

It states that the late crewmember was deck department but supposing he had been a waiter? Or a barman? Or perhaps he has a family member on board, or his roommate is one of these occupations and wasn't able to work? How would you explain their absence from their post?

When a crewman murdered another one a few years ago on QM2, the commodore had letters sent to each stateroom. Probably to stop rumours about a mad axeman running around from starting.

When a crewman murdered another one a few years ago on QM2, the commodore had letters sent to each stateroom. Probably to stop rumours about a mad axeman running around from starting.

Different cases, different masters probably as well. I would have made exactly the same decisions. Others probably wouldn't.

Gesendet von meinem Transformer TF101 mit Tapatalk 4

It's probably because the captain wants to nip gossip in the bud that he has told the passengers. Gossip goes round the Queens quicker than a coachload of noro carriers.

It states that the late crewmember was deck department but supposing he had been a waiter? Or a barman? Or perhaps he has a family member on board, or his roommate is one of these occupations and wasn't able to work? How would you explain their absence from their post?

Yes, I believe that the best way to prevent speculation is for the appropriate authorities and cruise lines to provide factual information rather than trying to ignore concerns.

Regarding your mention of the 2006 murder of crew member Joel Jagatin Tagaan, the BBC report can be found here http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/5371856.stm

At that time, the ship was registered in Southampton, so that is where the investigation and subsequent trial was held.

I have just returned from QV. The story I heard from one of the Dance Hosts (who presumably had more contact with staff on a chatting basis than the rest of us) is that the crew member had fallen the day before and hit his head. He must have seemed okay but lasting damage was called. Let me stress that I do not know for sure that this is the cause, but it is the story I heard.

A collection box was put out for his family and several thousand pounds was donated.

I have just returned from QV. The story I heard from one of the Dance Hosts (who presumably had more contact with staff on a chatting basis than the rest of us) is that the crew member had fallen the day before and hit his head. He must have seemed okay but lasting damage was called. Let me stress that I do not know for sure that this is the cause, but it is the story I heard.

A collection box was put out for his family and several thousand pounds was donated.

Hi fantasy. Thanks, it is good to read that passengers responded with donations, making a generous response to the tragic death of a crew member/fellow shipmate. -S.

Archived