Live from RCI Radiance of the Seas Qld cruise

bazzaw

Very hot and humid here in Port Douglas. Good atmosphere onboard with approx 1200 Canadians , 700

Aussies and 200 Americans & Brits.

Mostly tendering ports which is not so good for large ships like this. Beautiful ship - but quite small pool area. No teamaking equipment in cabins like there was on VOS.

Barry

Sent from my T-17B using Forums mobile app

Yes, Sarah. Plenty on my roll call, coming over from over there. Some will still be on when I get there in 6 days. The Canadians I have met are lovely.

Thanks Bazza. Look after her for me. Might see you getting off, when I'm getting on.:)

Graham, I did hear something about a large group on my Radiance cruise 24th October. Couldn't get a balcony cabin until after final payment.:mad:

Know anything?

Ah.....that would be the conference cruise for the criminally insane ......about a thousand of them I believe. :D:D:D ......only joking ... no I have not heard anything yet.

I work in Newcastle and enjoyed seeing the Radiance in port for the day. Pity it was such a cold breeze that day and surf was whipped up. I heard a lot of American/ Canadian accents. ONe thing I chuckled about was I overheard an older black american couple chatting and she was going on about a shopping experience in Newcastle where she must have tried to pay in American dollars, saying "well she said to me this is AWWWWWWstralia we have australian money here, and I said to her well we are on an American Ship!!!"

Hilarious lol

BTW- no teamaking facility in cabins on Radiance - there was on Voyager earlier this year

Barry

Really, that's a nuisance! :mad:

We love to wake up to a "cuppa" and then there's the late night one just before "lights out".

There were on both Rhapsody and Voyager so I certainly expected them on the Radiance.:confused:

Looks like we'll be using room service a little more this time.

BTW- no teamaking facility in cabins on Radiance - there was on Voyager earlier this year

Barry

Hi Bazzaw - can I ask what type of cabin you are in?

We are doing the next cruise on radiance and are in a D1.

Are there good sized storage cupboards for clothes etc?

Do all the showers just have shower curtains?

Thanks!

Voyager of the seas Dec 2012,

Radiance of the seas Oct 2013

I work in Newcastle and enjoyed seeing the Radiance in port for the day. Pity it was such a cold breeze that day and surf was whipped up. I heard a lot of American/ Canadian accents. ONe thing I chuckled about was I overheard an older black american couple chatting and she was going on about a shopping experience in Newcastle where she must have tried to pay in American dollars, saying "well she said to me this is AWWWWWWstralia we have australian money here, and I said to her well we are on an American Ship!!!"

Hilarious lol

Oh dear. Some people are so fortunate when they can have so much money for this travel, but no common sense.

Hilarious lol

Ha ha ha too funny, some people :)

We are in a balcony cabin on Deck 7. It does have a shower curtain but it has not been a problem

Barry

You mean it doesn't wrap itself around you Barry? :D

Will be looking forward to hearing about your PNG cruise when you get back so we can 'wise up' for ours. :)

We are in a balcony cabin on Deck 7. It does have a shower curtain but it has not been a problem

Barry

Thanks for keeping us informed of the Radiance! We are very excited about boarding her on Thursday!

BTW - I've meant to mention before that your reviews are excellent Barry!

Gae

I always find it difficult to compare ships and/or cruise lines - but our last cruise on Voyager led me to think that perhaps staff and staff service onboard RCI are better than other cruise lines/ships that we have previously experienced. This cruise has reinforced that thought. It is not just the cabin and dining table attendants - but other employees that we as passengers would not necessarily interact with much. A very positive interaction I had with a cleaner yesterday morning at 4AM while getting some coffee in an otherwise deserted ship was just one example that I could quote. I have been told that RCI only employs experienced staff from other cruise lines - certainly the dining room and buffet staff are all very experienced and are all very keen to stay in the employ of RCI

Barry

I always find it difficult to compare ships and/or cruise lines - but our last cruise on Voyager led me to think that perhaps staff and staff service onboard RCI are better than other cruise lines/ships that we have previously experienced. This cruise has reinforced that thought. It is not just the cabin and dining table attendants - but other employees that we as passengers would not necessarily interact with much. A very positive interaction I had with a cleaner yesterday morning at 4AM while getting some coffee in an otherwise deserted ship was just one example that I could quote. I have been told that RCI only employs experienced staff from other cruise lines - certainly the dining room and buffet staff are all very experienced and are all very keen to stay in the employ of RCI

Barry

Staff who want to remain with RCI is a good sign.

I have found it makes a huge difference if staff are happy. When I cruised twice on Ocean Princess, it wasn't as happy a ship second time around.

Looking forward to reading your comments on Radiance.

A happy crew = a happy ship.

Very important

I've always maintained the importance of a happy crew. That's what makes a cruise for me. The only cruise I've been on where many (not all) of the crew were grumpy, was the Sun Princess around NZ last Feb - just before the ship left for Japan. Wonder if this had something to do with it. Many of the crew were leaving when the ship got to Singapore.