How will Carnival compare-loved Celebrity and Royal

Travel luv

Although I am not new to cruising, I have never sailed with Carnival. We have cruised with Royal Caribbean (loved the service and activities and overall experience) and Celebrity (loved the food and experience of Celebrity).

I booked a short 4 day cruise on Celebrity Constellation for Feb 2014 that included a beverage package, however I am realizing that we could travel with Carnival (Victory) for about $300 cheaper.

This would be a quick trip, so I am considering it, although I have heard negative things about Carnival. For those of you that have sailed both, please share your thoughts/opinions. By the way, we are foodies, so good quality food is an absolute must, although this is an area that RC has gone downhill on with the exception of specialty dining.

Just did our first cruise with Carnival after 10 others with different lines. We loved it ... really they are different in little ways ... some better .. some not so ... but nothing bad... worth trying something new if the price is right.We have not had a bad cruise yet but so far we are not fans of Holland America. So although many people put Carnival down at the bottom of their wish list we would put it above Holland which many think is more of the top of the pile.

Nothing against Carnival but for $300 I would stay with Celebrity. We cruise Carnival now because we have two kids,they are a great value. I would choose Celebrity without the kids. Its like comparing apples to oranges. Have fun either way.

By the way, we are foodies, so good quality food is an absolute must, although this is an area that RC has gone downhill

This statement makes me think that you may want to stay with Celebrity. Cuisine is one field where Celebrity prides itself for excelling over the other cruise lines.

Someone will undoubtedly tell you how good the food on Carnival is, but be aware that Carnival's MDR menu now features meatloaf, fried chicken and Mac & cheese. Yes, there are other things in the menu, but the fact that these items are even offered should be an indication that Carnival is not the cruise line for foodies.

Keep in mind that it is the short cruises that give Carnival a bad name(booze cruise).

If you were looking at longer cruises I'd highly recommend Carnival, not sure I'd make the switch for a 4 day.

I agree, if you were looking at longer cruises go with Carnival. We have cruised on Carnival many times, as Royal, Holland and Celebrity. We don't appreciate the shorter cruises on Carnival. Seems like they get you on, want you to buy lots of drinks, then can't wait till you get off. I'll stick to the longer cruises with them rather than shorter ones. This is only my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback so far. As stated this cruise would be a quick getaway for my husband and I around Valentines day. It is such a dilemma because we already have a Med cruise booked for Aug of next year (Celebrity), so we probably need to save as much for that, however, sometimes paying extra is worth it to be happy. It sounds like the shorter cruises on Carnival might be less relaxing than we are used to, although I don't mind a little activity.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Forums mobile app

This statement makes me think that you may want to stay with Celebrity. Cuisine is one field where Celebrity prides itself for excelling over the other cruise lines.

Someone will undoubtedly tell you how good the food on Carnival is, but be aware that Carnival's MDR menu now features meatloaf, fried chicken and Mac & cheese. Yes, there are other things in the menu, but the fact that these items are even offered should be an indication that Carnival is not the cruise line for foodies.

I'm sorry but I don't get what having these foods on the menu reflect on Carnival not serving good food. Just because someone likes meatloaf or mac and cheese does not mean they are some hayseed from the hills. Some people just want "regular" food choices along with the other types of foods offered for dinner.

We are Carnival cruisers, having sailed them 20+ times. We have also sailed on NCL, Royal and recently on the Celebrity Silhouette. So I think I can provide the point of view you are looking for here. A couple people so far have made the claim that Celebrity has better food. I would say that while comparable quality wise I think my edge goes to Carnival. Carnival's steakhouse is superior to Celeb's. We could not get them to cook a steak properly and the cut of meat was not as good as I experience with Carnival's steakhouse. But I would not hold that against them too much as the rest of the dinning experience was very good.

Other than that, I would say that Celebrity's decor and service was superior to Carnival's but not so much more that it would be worth $300. The biggest difference... the one thing I really enjoyed on the Silhouette... the cloth hand towels in the public restrooms... Very nice touch.

So bottom line, yes Celebrity is more elegant. But for a quick trip, the cost savings outweighs the extra elegance. I wouldn't hesitate to book it. But take it with a bit of caution in that the shorter 4 day cruise can be a bit of a party cruise. People will take them to gamble and have a long weekend. So you are going to probably have more drunks... Do NOT let that give you the wrong impression.. the longer cruises are very much the same as a Royal Caribbean cruise.

I'm sorry but I don't get what having these foods on the menu reflect on Carnival not serving good food. Just because someone likes meatloaf or mac and cheese does not mean they are some hayseed from the hills. Some people just want "regular" food choices along with the other types of foods offered for dinner.

You just have to tke some posts and posters with a grain a salt. They have a track record of casting dispersions.

The food is not a reflection on the cruiser, but on Carnival's cuisine in general.

The OP says they are foodies, which means that they probably will not be impressed with Carnival's food in general. Let's be realistic here.

I know that a lot of people mean it when they say that the food on Carnival is good. But what are they comparing it to and what's their personal life experience? For the average person like me with fairly easy to please taste buds and who goes to a fine restaurant infrequently, maybe once a month, Carnival's food is indeed OK. But for someone with a more discerning palate and who's used to finer dining on a more frequent basis, Carnival's food may be disappointing.

One of the reasons why some people are disappointed when they sail on Carnival is because of unrealistic expectations. Telling the foodie OP that the food on Carnival will rival the Master-Chef inspired cuisine on Celebrity is definitely setting up those unrealistic expectations.

My point exactly. The OP says they are foodies, which means that they probably will not be impressed with Carnival's food in general. Let's be realistic here.

I know that a lot of people mean it when they say that the food on Carnival is good. But what are they comparing it to and what's their personal life experience? For the average person like me with fairly easy to please taste buds and who goes to a fine restaurant infrequently, maybe once a month, Carnival's food is indeed OK. But for someone with a more discerning palate and who's used to finer dining on a more frequent basis, Carnival's food may be disappointing.

One of the reasons why some people are disappointed when they sail on Carnival is because of unrealistic expectations. Telling the foodie OP that the food on Carnival will rival the Master-Chef inspired cuisine on Celebrity is definitely setting up those unrealistic expectations.

I have never sailed on Celebrity, so I cannot compare. While I do get your point, I think your post goes way to far in knocking Carnival's food, making comments that imply their main fare is Meatloaf and Mac and cheese. You might want to check out post 402 for another viewpoint.

While I do get your point, I think your post goes way to far in knocking Carnival's food, making comments that imply their main fare is Meatloaf and Mac and cheese.

I'm not saying that Carnival's food is bad. I would not have 13 cruises on them if I thought that poorly of it. Read my comment above. Once again, the OP claims to be a foodie so I'm giving advice based on their needs.

Each cruise lines has its strengths and weaknesses. Cuisine is not a strength for Carnival but it is for Celebrity.

I'm not saying that Carnival's food is bad. I would not have 13 cruises on them if I thought that poorly of it. Read my comment above. Once again, the OP claims to be a foodie so I'm giving advice based on their needs.

If someone is asking me what cruise line is good for laid back, unpretentious fun, Carnival comes to mind. If someone is asking what cruise line is good for traditional, quiet and a slightly more upscale experience, Holland America comes to mind. If someone is asking what cruise line is good for innovative and over the top entertainment, Royal Caribbean comes to mind. If someone is asking me what cruise line is good for some of the best cuisine, Celebrity comes to mind.

Each cruise lines has its strengths and weaknesses. Cuisine is not a strength for Carnival but it is for Celebrity. At least that's what they pride themselves for.

As I said, I did get your point.

As I said, I did get your point.

Got it :) I just wanted to clarify that I'm not saying that Carnival's food is bad.

I read the comment above (by sailor jimc) and I wholeheartedly agree. If there's one place where Carnival's cuisine does excel is at the steakhouse. We've tried it on different ships and they have been consistently excellent (and better than similar alternative restaurants on other cruise lines, like HAL's Pinnacle Grill and RCI's Chops Grille).

Unfortunately for the OP, there's no steakhouse on the Victory. :(

Got it :) I just wanted to clarify that I'm not saying that Carnival's food is bad.

I read the comment above (by sailor jimc) and I wholeheartedly agree. If there's one place where Carnival's cuisine does excel is at the steakhouse. We've tried it on different ships and they have been consistently excellent (and better than similar alternative restaurants on other cruise lines, like HAL's Pinnacle Grill and RCI's Chops Grille).

Unfortunately for the OP, there's no steakhouse on the Victory. :(

Adding a steakhouse to all ships where they don't have one would be a great idea (you are correct, the Victory does not have one).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Although I am not new to cruising, I have never sailed with Carnival. We have cruised with Royal Caribbean (loved the service and activities and overall experience) and Celebrity (loved the food and experience of Celebrity).

I booked a short 4 day cruise on Celebrity Constellation for Feb 2014 that included a beverage package, however I am realizing that we could travel with Carnival (Victory) for about $300 cheaper.

This would be a quick trip, so I am considering it, although I have heard negative things about Carnival. For those of you that have sailed both, please share your thoughts/opinions. By the way, we are foodies, so good quality food is an absolute must, although this is an area that RC has gone downhill on with the exception of specialty dining.

We have sailed Celebrity, NCL, RCCL, Cunard & Carnival; most have been on Celebrity. We've never done fewer than 7 days on any cruise. We're a little skeptical about shorter cruises on any cruise line.

As far as food, we liked both Celebrity and Carnival, but I would probably give the edge to Celebrity if you are a foodie. We honestly like both, but I feel over the last five years, Carnival's choice of menu items has changed slightly, making it more family oriented in some of the food choices, whereas Celebrity still leans mostly toward adult food choices.

I think for the price of our upcoming Carnival Cruise (Winter 2014-$374pp/balcony), the food is not going to be a problem for us at all. We definitely will not go hungry.

Enjoy your cruise, whatever you decide!!!

I have cruise carnival and royal Caribbean. I found the service and food to be better on carnival. I also felt there were more activities on the carnival ships. The one thing that royal beats carnival with is the balcony in the balcony staterooms. The rooms are smaller on royal (maybe that's why the balcony is a bit bigger). I love the victory...it had the best WOW factor when I first entered

Love Celebrity but also have enjoyed RC and Carnival and don't believe there is a big difference between the last 2.

Like RC there is a lot of "fun" , kids and activity. Cabins and food are equivalent, again comparing RC and Carnival. X is superior.

Entertainment is equal to X but like RC, you are not always treated as a trusted adult. RC's entertainment is better but no comedy club.

Many say Carnival decor is tacky. Makes me no never-mind. All popular priced cruise lines are kindda tacky.

If you are thinking of a balcony and are anti-smoking, I would think twice about Carnival.

You will still enjoy an ocean-view or inside and save even more. If not, enjoy the Constellation. We are.:D

Tapi! I so love your posts but I must take exception to this statement. The every day menu items are not intended to replace the MDR menu but complement it. The home-cooking, simple items are meant for picky eaters and/or those with simpler tastes or dietary restrictions. I think the widely expanded dining options on the newer ships like the Breeze speaks for itself.

Only sailed RCCL once, and liked it. But the food is better on Carnival.

OP... all I can say is I have a few hard fast rules in life. Once of those is "No short cruises on Carnival!" I have my reasons.

Book a 7 day instead, recommend the Breeze. :)

The food on Celebrity is much better than Carnival and the shorter/cheaper cruises on Carnival tend to have more of a "party" crowd. If it were me I would spend the $300 and keep the Celebrity cruise.

Loved all our Carnival cruises, took one RC aboard the Vision Of The Seas and it was just as good as Carnival. Food, shows, etc were great.

The only thing I noticed was our stateroom wasn't as well laid out on that ship...so don't know if it was that particular ship. Otherwise, great staff and can't think of anything that was negative.

Archived