How important is a guide for RIL tours?

Kinkacruiser

I have started 2 groups of 8 with Rome in Limo Tour Sharing site....the Rome Highlights and Florence/Pisa tours.

Guides will cost extra, so I'd like your opinion whether they are a high priority. Among the usual Rome highlights, the itinerary includes a visit the museums at the Vatican and the Colosseum. There are 4 ships in port on the day we arrive next year, if that makes any difference. It will certainly be a squeeze at the Vatican.

If you read the large Rome in Limo thread, you will see many people, including ourselves, recommend the guide for the Vatican, quite highly. There is a tremendous volume of history and info there, and a guide will really do a lot to increase your enjoyment. (Standing by for flaming from a certain board member who disagrees).

I wouldn't say the same for Florence and Pisa. To us, things are a little more self explanatory there, but I am sure you would increase your knowledge gained if you had a guide.

Edited by CruiserBruce

(Standing by for flaming from a certain board member who disagrees).

If you are referring to me, then yes I have a slightly different viewpoint. However, having a different opinion is not the same as flaming.

I am not against a guide, in fact, I think licensed guides can be extremely useful. All I have ever said is that a guide is not absolutely a necessity for everyone, specifically for those who prefer to see things at their own pace, or who do substantial research, or who are only really interested in a quick look at the Sistine (for whom a Rick Steves podcast is about as much info as they need), etc.

For those who think they MAY want a guide, then a guide is probably worthwhile.

The OP should be aware that most folks on RIL Rome tours only opt for a guide at the Vatican.

Guides do not really make much difference in terms of waiting in line, as one can pre-reserve tickets for the two busiest sites (Vatican museum, Colosseum) in advance. So if that is what you are asking about in regards to crowds -- well, it doesn't matter that much. Where a guide can be useful in the Vatican is to guide you through the crowds to make the best use of your limited time.

If you are referring to me, then yes I have a slightly different viewpoint. However, having a different opinion is not the same as flaming.

I am not against a guide, in fact, I think licensed guides can be extremely useful. All I have ever said is that a guide is not absolutely a necessity for everyone, specifically for those who prefer to see things at their own pace, or who do substantial research, or who are only really interested in a quick look at the Sistine (for whom a Rick Steves podcast is about as much info as they need), etc.

For those who think they MAY want a guide, then a guide is probably worthwhile.

The OP should be aware that most folks on RIL Rome tours only opt for a guide at the Vatican.

Guides do not really make much difference in terms of waiting in line, as one can pre-reserve tickets for the two busiest sites (Vatican museum, Colosseum) in advance. So if that is what you are asking about in regards to crowds -- well, it doesn't matter that much. Where a guide can be useful in the Vatican is to guide you through the crowds to make the best use of your limited time.

That's precisely what I had aimed to achieve with a guide.:) Thanks so much.

We used RIL for Rome and Naples. Reserved a private guide for the Vatican and it was worth every penny! Her name was Roberta and she gave us so much insight into the Vatican that no book could ever cover. I wish we had a guide at the Colisseum but we were trying to keep expenses down. In Pompeii, there were many guides offering their services at the gate for a nominal charge of $10 eu. We opted to do it on our own.

For me, a Vatican guide is almost required, simply to help you navigate through the large collection.

At Pompeii, as noted you can pick one up at the gate (that said, we did book through RIL for convenience). You can certainly do Pompeii without one fairly easily, but we found it helped a lot, as he coordinated with other guides to avoid the crowded spots and knew which buildings and houses may be open that day, etc.)

At Pompeii, as noted you can pick one up at the gate (that said, we did book through RIL for convenience). You can certainly do Pompeii without one fairly easily, but we found it helped a lot, as he coordinated with other guides to avoid the crowded spots and knew which buildings and houses may be open that day, etc.)

Just as a follow up, the staff at the Info Desk at the Pompeii entrance will happily provide information to anyone on which houses are open on any particular day -- they will even mark your map for you (which they can also provide, along with a fairly detailed descriptive booklet of many of the key sights including houses, the Forum, amphitheatre, etc. -- free of charge).

As it turns out I had already booked a guide for the Vatican and Jany confirmed that right away. There are so many ports on our B2B that I forgot what was arranged just a few weeks back.

After reading your comments, I know I made the right decision about booking a Vatican guide.

Thanks again everyone.

As it turns out I had already booked a guide for the Vatican and Jany confirmed that right away. There are so many ports on our B2B that I forgot what was arranged just a few weeks back.

After reading your comments, I know I made the right decision about booking a Vatican guide.

Thanks again everyone.

You won't regret it. Have an amazing time! Please post back after you return.

Isn't Jany the best?

I think it mostly depends on what you want to get out of your visit. Some people want to just check things off a list. And while I'll admit I've done my share of that in my travels, there is nothing like learning a bit more of something to make it more interesting.

I've gotten a guide for the Vatican Museum and also Pompeii and Herculaneum and I will say they are SOOOO worth the money. First of all, with our groups, the price is really quite minimal in the whole scheme of things. And the knowledge you gain makes all the difference I think. Also, having someone lead you through a place as crazy as the Vatican Museum can make the difference of thinking it's an awful, crazy, tourist nightmare to something that you can't imagine not seeing.

Have a great time whatever you decide but you won't regret learning more about these wonderful places.

Besides the obvious reason for a personal guide ... here's how it was valuable to me. My mother is VERY hard of hearing. No, no, I can hear fine. Ya, okay, sure. Both guides at the Vatican and Pompeii were wonderful. They each took her arm to "guide" her and talked directly into her ear. She was very interested in the history and the experience she walked away with was priceless. Unlike most, I am not a DIY unless it is really easy. For Europe I was not that adventuresome. For me this was a "one shot deal". These guides made it possible for my mother to live the experience rather then pretend to live it. I actually regret not getting one for the Coliseum. So much to see and learn and not enough info given (ya, I know I could have done more research but I didn't).

My own experience is that you will get so much more out of your tour of the Vatican by using a guide. Can you do it on your own? Sure. But we have found a guide makes it very special and to me it is well worth the extra money.

But like almost anything everyone has their own opinion.

Keith

If you have time to do all kinds of research before your trip then you might find you need no guide. BUT most people don't have that kind of time, we sure didn't..both of us working more than full time.... so the guide was essential to us at both the Vatican and Pompeii and of course the walking tours we did with RIL. It made an immense difference in our visit and I would not hesitate to do so again. The RIL guides are great and while they may not reduce your line time, although I'm not sure of that, we stood in NO lines, they sure know how to move through sites in such a way that they avoid the crowds and insure you see all you want to and more.

...(Standing by for flaming from a certain board member who disagrees).

I can think of three of us who may fit this ;)

I have no issue with hiring guides if you want to. It's all personal preference. For me, so far, I've never felt the need for a guide where I've gone in Europe. But, that's me. Now, when I did my cruise on the Nile, my small group of women did have an amazing female Egyptologist with us. She gave insights into the role of women at different sites we visited, so it was very specific and not something a general guide would do. We even asked her to spend some of our "down" time on the boat discussing women in Egypt now. Our guide through Jordan, while entertaining (and supposedly one of the best - he was the guide for the cast of the Indiana Jones movie while in Jordan), I didn't feel I got much out of him that I didn't already know.

If I want to know more than the general info on a site, I would possibly hire a guide. But, to just bypass lines, I wouldn't do that, since I've always been able to pre-purchase and research how to do that...

P.S. Yes, I did the Vatican on my own. A Friday night in May, with NO crowds. I got what I wanted out of it and I did not feel shorted...

Edited by slidergirl

P.S. Yes, I did the Vatican on my own. A Friday night in May, with NO crowds. I got what I wanted out of it and I did not feel shorted...

I did the night tour too and did not need a guide cause the place was empty in the early evening then became crowded. But a day tour when crowded a guide is going to be very helpful.

For Pompeii I think a guide is a necessity. A lot of time will be wasted there without a guide.

In March we scheduled tour of Vatican wit context tours .private 7 of us ,We missed the start time and Guide left as per contract No problem our mistake,We did Museum on our own we bought the Ear bud tours, loved it sounded great lots of info.That night Tour company called they had cancelation next day so for small price we could do it again so We did.Best decision ever.I would say the guide made a big difference.If cost isn't prohibitive you should get guide.

We were on two Rome in Limo tours last spring, and used guides arranged by Rome in Limo for both the Vatican and Pompeii. Our groups were very pleased with the quality of both guides and I would definitely pay extra for the guides again. For example, our Rome in Limo driver dropped us off at the curb to our waiting Vatican guide who whisked us through the crowds to the front of lines to pick up our pre-purchased tickets. I felt that we literally "hit the pavement running." Our Pompeii guide also was waiting for us as our driver was parking, and purchased our Pompeii tickets for us as we hit the restrooms. Again, we maximized our time. And both provided absolutely excellent tours.

Doesn't RIL include the guides on their tours for 15? That is what we have signed up for through our roll call and I am pretty sure the guide is included.

Dolfans from Miami

I would advise that eight is the maximum amount of people you would want on a tour. Over that you are going to get slowed down, it's harder to manage, and it gets harder to hear the guide or driver.

I would advise that eight is the maximum amount of people you would want on a tour. Over that you are going to get slowed down, it's harder to manage, and it gets harder to hear the guide or driver.

All our tours for the Baltics (including St. Petersburg) were groups of 16 and we thought it was perfect!

Dolfans from Miami

All our tours for the Baltics (including St. Petersburg) were groups of 16 and we thought it was perfect!

Dolfans from Miami

Those Baltic tours would have been better with eight or less. For the Hermitage we did it with four and that was the greatest! Heaven. The larger group had to go through wearing headphones to hear the guide. I have done many private tours and the smaller the group the better. Some places 16 is ok because you just want an overview. Like Berlin. A large group was fine there. Of course most want to share some of the cost so six or eight is perfect for sharing costs and getting a good tour. Best not to go higher than that.

And for Italy a vehicle that holds eight or less is the best size. Also you don't want to do the Vatican Museum with 15 people. Might as well book with the cruise line!

Those Baltic tours would have been better with eight or less. For the Hermitage we did it with four and that was the greatest! Heaven. The larger group had to go through wearing headphones to hear the guide. I have done many private tours and the smaller the group the better. Some places 16 is ok because you just want an overview. Like Berlin. A large group was fine there. Of course most want to share some of the cost so six or eight is perfect for sharing costs and getting a good tour. Best not to go higher than that.

And for Italy a vehicle that holds eight or less is the best size. Also you don't want to do the Vatican Museum with 15 people. Might as well book with the cruise line!

All great points. Thanks for the advise and tips!

Dolfans from Miami

With 15 you get a guide on the van who talks about where you are going and some of the locations, etc. But I don't think those guides handle Pompeii and the Vatican, which require special permits. I would check with Jany to make sure.

Doesn't RIL include the guides on their tours for 15? That is what we have signed up for through our roll call and I am pretty sure the guide is included.

Dolfans from Miami

With 15 you get a guide on the van who talks about where you are going and some of the locations, etc. But I don't think those guides handle Pompeii and the Vatican, which require special permits. I would check with Jany to make sure.

I didn't organize the tours, but Jany did say that it was a driver and licensed guide which takes you into all the sites. I will double check with RIL. Thanks! :)

Dolfans from Miami

• 2 weeks later...